Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Christian rant (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Christian rant
Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to aggree with Raven and Siegfried on this one, I believe that homosexuality is a biological rather than psychological trait. Although the exact source is not known, many believe it to be genetic:

quote:
The investigators do not shy away from the implications of their research. It raises the possibility, Taylor says, that the sexual behavior of more complex species--including humans--may be regulated not by hundreds of genes (each of which has a minute effect) but by relatively few genesThe investigators do not shy away from the implications of their research. It raises the possibility, Taylor says, that the sexual behavior of more complex species--including humans--may be regulated not by hundreds of genes (each of which has a minute effect) but by relatively few genes

This is from the online version of Scientific American, from an article into research on fruit flies. For the full article:

Genetics

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It MAY BE genetic, but I believe God can overcome genetics.

(and everything or anything else)
------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

[This message was edited by bryce on April 11, 1999.]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm agnostic and I've always put more faith into science anyway. And yes my friend did in fact seek out professional Christian help. That led him to a nervous breakdown.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry (that is supposed to be a sad face, not a mean one)

Did he talk to someone he knew or a stranger?

------------------
Inmate #05301999

[This message was edited by bryce on April 11, 1999.]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally stay out of threads like this.

With good reason.

I'll refrain from spewing my otherwise normal opinions on the matter, which would surely create a VERY nasty reaction from a few certain people.

Please keep it civil, everyone.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

[This message was edited by Charles Capps on April 12, 1999.]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, bryce, if God made a person gay, why would he go back and then 'fix' it?

You don't understand, and I'm sorry.

Genetics isn't just something that's made up. Its science, based in fact, not faith.

[This message was edited by Jeff Raven on April 11, 1999.]

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

Why WOULDN'T he go back and fix it?

Yes I know genetices comes down to Biology, science classes are some of my favorite. I don't know where you live, but I don't live in the big city. I don't even live in town, so what I'm about to say may make more since to me. Look outside. The Earth is a beautiful place, isn't it? How can anyone possibly believe that all was created by a few molecules colliding and creating a big bang that created all of everything?

Remember this:
WHEN THE TOAST IS BURNED
AND ALL THE MILK HAS TURNED
AND CAPTAIN CRUNCH IS WAVING FAREWELL
WHEN THE BIG ONE FINDS YOU
MAY THIS SONG REMIND YOU
THAT THEY DON'T SERVE BREAKFAST IN HELL

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can anyone believe it? Well, since we can observe molecules colliding(BTW, this a supersimplified description), and we can predict and prove actions and reactions, people can believe what they see.

No one saw God create this world. We have to take that on faith. Faith is believing something, even if you don't know why or how it works.
Science is fact.
Religion is faith.
Two different things, but they compliment each other.
I for one DO believe God created this world, but I think it was a scientific process, not an oversimplified metaphor.

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." - A. Eistein.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. I registered a name for the sheer point of addressing this topic, because I feel strongly about it, and felt like saying so.
Now. Some of you know me, some of you don't. I'll introduce myself for those who don't, with information that may be somewhat relevant. Namely--I'm a Christian, as apparently some others of you are. Another thing? I'm into the Evolution AND Creationism theory...I think it's called Intelligent Design--the idea that God created the universe, but used the "Big Bang" as a means to do so. Ohhhkay...so. Yes, I'm a big Christian, it's something that's important to me. Something else that is important to me is realizing that there are all different types of people, and points of view out there. I'm not here to tell anyone that what they think is wrong, or that my opinion is any better, but do hear me out.

First of all, unless it has now been DISproven, I recall reading an article roughly 3 years ago in which it was documented that there is a gene which indicates homosexuality...just as there are genes which indicate other things people are BORN with...one example being mental retardation.

Now, Bryce--I looked up the Bible quotes you dropped for us to take a peek at. The first two from Leviticus: LEV 18: 22 "You shall not lie witha male as a woman; such a thing is an abomination" 18:29 "Everyone who does any of these abominations shall be cut off from among his people."
Alright. The latter we can see true enough. Homosexuals, unfortunately, are continually discriminated against in our society--I doubt anyone would argue against that. As for the first passage, though, as well as Romans 1: 26-27, address one thing, more or less--sexual acts. Now, in my opinion, there is a difference between one's sexual orientation, and what one DOES sexually. As I have already stated, it has been proven that there is a gene (or lack thereof? I am not positive) which results in homosexuality. If we recognize God as the Creator of life, then it ensues that He created this condition, correct? Yes, it does. These passages relate in no way to one's genetic makeup, no doubt as it was of no concern at the time. People of whatever sexual orientation have desire from time to time. It is innate. As a Christian, I DO believe the Bible, although there are things in it that I believe may simply be allegories--for example, God creating the world in seven days. Yes, all things are possible with God, but as I have stated, I believe in Intelligent Design. So perhaps these passages are meant to be taken quite literally, perhaps not. However they are meant to be interpreted, or ARE interpreted, I don't think it's my place to judge someone else's actions, and the way I read those passages is in referrence to an individuals intimate actions, WHICH I HAVE NO BUSINESS KNOWING. I wouldn't care to hear about my best friend having sex with her boyfriend after prom any more than I would to hear about a "gay" friend of mine having sex with his boyfriend. And I dont' think I'd be one to "Kiss and tell" so to speak. A person's intimate actions are their own business, however awkward, or uncomfortable they may make others of us feel.

That said, and emphasized over and over and OVER again, these passages in the Bible should not be for people to use and turn against someone, but rather for one's OWN use for personal ...growth? Will that term fit? God gives us ALL our own things in life to overcome....I certainly have my own to struggle with.....that doesn't mean there's something wrong with me because I do have them. Giving into temptation is another story, and not one that I talk about with people, or expect others to tell me, b/c it's personal--between me and my Maker. God gives us things in our lives for us to grow from...and believe me, the homosexuals I know have certainly grown from their experiences as who they are (correct me if I'm wrong, sis...I figured this much went without saying)

Back to the interpretation of various Bible passages, as a friend of mine has said, whether on the forum or not, verses can be taken and twisted in any way the user likes. An example? You've heard "Money is the root of all evil"? The ACTUAL verse reads: "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil". Theres a big difference there. Satan himself twisted the meaning of Bible passages when he was tempting Jesus those 40 days in the desert. Bryce, in this, I am by no means saying that you are twisting the passages you presented, or anything to that effect. What I AM saying, however, is that there is a different way of looking at it, and something I stand firmly by.

Oh--and Enterprise? This is a bit off topic, I suppose...I love the Newsboys and the Breakfast Song, man...but what the heck has it got to do with the Big Bang theory? You said : "The Earth is a beautiful place, isn't it? How can anyone possibly believe that all was created by a few molecules colliding and creating a big bang that created all of everything?" I quite agree...but as I have said in this post...is it too much to believe that GOD made those molecules collide? I think theres a certain amount of mystique to that, don't you?

Anyway...Enough of my ramblings...there's my two cents; I'll check back here later.

Jedi Weyoun
"Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity" 1 Timothy 4:12

------------------
**The Light only shines in the dark, and sometimes innocence is just an excuse for the guilty**

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

*cheers*

Weyoun, you pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Thank you, as I could not have said it better.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I applaud you, Weyoun. Your post made perfect sense to me. That's probably because your Intelligent Design view of the start of life and the universe is exactly the way I've always thought of it. Bravo!

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers for her sister and gives her a hug* thank you.

bryce:
A: Don't call me hon.
B: If you'd been paying attention to my post, you'd have read that I DID take alot of time, and I DID pray alot, and I DID WANT TO change my preference, and become "better" in the christian sense.
C: WANTING TO has nothing to do it. I can WANT to change my eyecolor from brown to blue, I can pray unceasingly for God to change my eyecolor, I can try with all my heart to do this ... AND IT WON'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT I WAS BORN WITH BROWN EYES. God made them Brown, and brown they will stay. Why on earth would God want to change them?
The same applies to homosexuality.

Now, having said that, I find this thread to be more than I can mentally or physically deal with right now, so I'm out of here for good.

------------------
Ring this little golden bell
And see what changes with it's knell
Or Wonder, till it drives you mad...
What would have happened if you HAD.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

Science changes too, Jeff. We once believed the Earth was flat!

------------------
Inmate #05301999

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Bryce: good point there, science does change as our understanding of the universe changes over time. But not the best example to use, after all, I believe the ancient Greeks knew the world was round (even calculated its circumference with relatively impressive accuracy), the belief that the world was flat was a more theological one in the middle ages, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong here, my history is a little rusty. But the distinction between science and the church in the middle ages became quite blurred, as the church (especially Roman Catholic) had more or less complete control over beliefs and information for a significant period.

I think I shall have to brush up on my history after my exams are over.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

There's no need to, Chimaera. You hit the nail on the head. Besides, the last thing you ought to do is brush up on history after exams!

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps