Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ohio Burning (Page 1)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Ohio Burning
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cincinnati Mayor Declares Emergency, Sets Curfew
Riots Follow Police Shooting of Unarmed Black Man

.c The Associated Press

CINCINNATI (April 12) - The mayor declared a state of emergency and announced a citywide curfew as riots over the police shooting of an unarmed black man stretched into a fourth day Thursday.

Only people going to and from work will be allowed on the streets between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m., Mayor Charles Luken said.

''Despite the best efforts of the good citizens of our city, the violence on our streets is uncontrolled and it runs rampant,'' Luken said at a news conference at City Hall.

''The time has come to deal with this seriously. The message ... is that the violence must stop.''

Luken said city officials have considered asking the state to call out the Ohio National Guard, but no decision had been made.

The fatal shooting over the weekend of Timothy Thomas, 19, by a white officer sparked days of unrest, a federal investigation, and calls for accountability. Thomas was killed as he fled Officer Steven Roach, who was trying to arrest him for failing to appear for misdemeanor charges and traffic violations.

A police officer was shot Wednesday night, but his belt buckle caught the bullet and saved him, Luken said. No arrest had been made in that shooting.

Small groups of vandals roamed several neighborhoods, breaking windows, looting stores and assaulting at least one white motorist who was dragged from her car, police said. Others in the neighborhood came to the woman's aid.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta say, it looks as theough the cops screwed up this one royally.

Although the news reports I read also mentioned that the guy had more than a DOZEN warrants out for his arrest for different crimes, and people like that might reasonably be expected to be dangerous enough that a wise man would shoot at the first hint that he might have a gun.

Also, riots are for idiots. attacking uninvolved people will just lend credence to the belief that some people are animals who will use any excuse to run amok.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a black man kills a white man, and a bunch of white guys go out and lynch him, or something, the white guys will be branded racists (not necessarily an unwarranted assumption, of course).

If a white man kills a black man, and people (I'm gonna take a wild guess they're black?) riot, committing all sorts of violence against a lot of people (another wild guess: the victims tend to be white?), the rioters are "fighting racism".

Don't you just love double standards?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite that, TSN.

First of all, look at the LA PD as an example that racial discrimination by police departments is still occuring. Cincinnati has had a long history of a racist police department, and Thomas was the fifth black man killed by the police in four months or so.

I mean -- c'mon. A black guy gets sodomized by a plunger in New York, another gets the crap beaten out of him by four LA cops, it's hard not to believe they're not racist.

It's also important to understand that African-Americans are very conscious of their history in this country. For a vast majority of them, slavery and segregation are still very close. I've got friends who get angry when we're walking to the mall because white people in their cars suddenly lean over and lock their doors.

Pretend that racism no longer exists all you want -- you're deluding yourself. Remember that Texaco scandal last year? Ted Danson's "black-face" routine? African-Americans are a bit more sensative to this subject than a white male (which is what most of us* are) can probably imagine.

*Us being the Flare posters

Thomas was wanted on ONE warrant for not appearing for court on a variety of fairly minor midemeanors -- including one for not wearing his seat belt.

And now he's dead. Cincinatti didn't work hard enough to stop or find the cause of the racial tension in their city, and now they're paying the price for it. Hope they get their act together when all is said and done.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And now he's dead. Cincinatti didn't work hard enough to stop or find the cause of the racial tension in their city, and now they're paying the price for it. Hope they get their act together when all is said and done."

Maybe all they wanted was the return of Venus Flytrap. I know MY life hasn't been the same since Johnny Fever left...

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope this doesn't get out of hand any further... there's no way to predict how high tensions will rise again.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I wouldn't doubt if things get much worse. These people (the rioters) are looking for an excuse to destroy stuff and release their anger because they are mad at something.

The big question I have is did the individual give the officer a reason to believe that he had a weapon. Cops don't just shot people, no matter what anybody says or thinks. The suspect could have pretended to have a weapon or made a move like he was going for one.

I could say more but my feelings about all of this would make any more of my comments extremely uncalled for and highly provoking so I'll stop here.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've yet to hear about the REASON they shot the guy. They just point out that he did. You know, that's what caused the Rodney King riots: irresponsibility on the part of the media. They didn't give the whole story, so the rioters started rioting without knowing the facts of the case. If these police officers are found not guilty, then there will be yet MORE riots, unless the media get their collective act together and start reporting facts. All we have now are assumptions.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not accusing anyone of being beligently racist, even though posting the following does sort of insinuate that. My apologies. That's not the point I'm trying to make. In fact, though I may disagree with Omega and co. about many political issues, I hold him and others in high regard as a worthy adversary and morally upright people. Please don't misconstrue this as a personal attack in any way.

The point is that a lot of what's just been said above rang a particularly strong bell with me, so I thought I might share a particularly impactfuls scene from a particularly impactful film.

quote:

EXT. VENICE BEACH HOUSE - A RAINY NIGHT - FLASHBACK

As the rain falls, we see the Vinyards sitting at the
table. Stacey and Murray Rosenberg, Doris' then
boyfriend who we met earlier, round out the clan. Stacey sits close to Derek.

DANNY (V/O)
And then came October 4th, 1993.

INT. BEACH HOUSE - THE DINING ROOM

Doris looks wonderful while Murray, mustache and beard,
shakes his head at Derek as he chatters away.

DANNY (V/O)
Things were fine on the homefront. My
Mom had a good job but a below average
boyfriend. We had a four-bedroom
house that Dad left us with. Everyone
was happy.

TIGHT ON DEREK. Shaved head, rolled-up sleeves, tattoos,
loosened tie, LA COPY CENTER name tag from earlier. His
charisma draws their attention as he rambles over the
crackling rainfall.

DANNY (V/O)
Everyone but Derek.

DEREK
Fuck you, Murray. White men don't
cruise the streets of LA killing each
other.

MURRAY
No. You guys make bombs.

Derek stares at the man, eyes filled with homicide.

DEREK
You're so fucking lame. A couple of
cranks in cabins in Montana is not
statistically significant.
(then)
White Americans don't take PCP and
drink and drive a hundred and twenty
fuckin' miles an hour! We pull over
and trust the law.

MURRAY
You're kidding, right?

DAVINA
(sarcastically)
Don't you know, Murray? White people
never break the law. We're perfect
little angels.

DEREK
That's not what I said, Davina.
(to the group)
Three different times Rodney King
comes at those officers with the
intent to hurt them. To hurt them!
Three times! But since we see it on
some fucking tampered videotape...the
bleeding heart media makes you believe
that he only comes at them once. All
we see is Powell, Koon and Wind
hittin' him and--
(busting up laughing)
Briseno kickin' him in the back of the
fuckin' skull with his boot. Still,
the dumbfuck's tryin' to get up and
kick their asses! That's how stupid
that motherfucker is. Those cops used
textbook-solid tactics and if Dad were
still here he'd say the same damn
thing.

DORIS
That doesn't make it right.

DEREK
Yes it does. Yes it does. They're
cops! They are taught to use that
stick and they did.

MURRAY
Excessively.

DEREK
No. Appropriately. Appropriately!
Cops have been granted a certain
amount of authority by society and
white people, unfortunately, are the
only ones who acknowledge it. I
acknowledge a cop's authority.

Davina starts to laugh.

DAVINA
Look who's talking about respecting
the law? Mr. K.K.K. here.

DEREK
That's two errors in one sentence,
Davina, so take a fucking course in
semantics. First error--I didn't say
I respect the law. I said I respect a
cop's authority. Second error...I'm
not a member of the fuckin' low rent,
disorganized, redneck Ku Klux Klan..
Pull your head outta your ass and look
at who you're dealing with.

MURRAY
Don't speak to her that way, Derek.

DEREK
Murray, stay out of it. You're not a
member of this family and you never
will be.

MURRAY
What the hell does that have to do
with anything?

DORIS
(to Derek)
You know...sometimes it's hard to
believe I gave birth to you.

DEREK
Give thanks to the food on the table
and then believe it, Doris.

DORIS
We both put food on this table, fella.

DEREK
True enough. The point is...if Dan
was walking across the street that
night and Rodney King plowed into him--

DORIS
Can we forget about Rodney King for
chrissake?!

DEREK
(fiercely continuing)
--while hopped up on Chivas and
P.C.P...you'd consider the force those
cops used to be justified!

DORIS
He didn't hit anybody!

DEREK
If he did though! If that shithead
killed Dan...you would have believed
the beating to be justified and so
would everybody else. But since he
didn't hit anyone...it's "Hands Across
America" for the son of a bitch.

Derek takes a bite of food.

DEREK
We are still so hung up in this notion
that we have an obligation to help the
struggling black man and all you
contribute to it! Lincoln freed the
slaves a hundred and thirty years ago!
Get off your fucking asses!

STACEY
I'm with you, honey. All the way.
It's one...giant...ploy.

DAVINA
Here we go.

STACEY
I mean...nobody likes Chief whatever
his name is, right?

DAVINA
Gates.

STACEY
Yeah. So here comes this filthy piece
of garbage in his Hyundai. He pulls
over in front of a perfectly lighted
area where a video camera is sitting
there...fucking waiting for him, man.
What happens next? Chief Gates is
dust. It's total--

Davina drops her silverware on the plate with a clatter
and looks at her mother. Everyone stares at Davina.

DAVINA
(to Doris)
May I be excused please?

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

This would be AMERICAN HISTORY X?

They did report why the cop fired. Apparently, the young man was "fleeing" arrest, so Officer Roach decided to shoot him.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fleeing arrest under what circumstances? Heck, for all we know, the cop's finger could have slipped. Wasn't it Blaise Pascal who once said that "God is in the details"?

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

What the fuck was his finger doing ON THE TRIGGER?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't cops trained to keep their fingers OFF the trigger until/unless they're ready to fire? That's no excuse.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry but I just don't buy that the officer shot the suspect as he ran away. That goes against everything that they are trained to do. The suspect had to have done something to cause the officer to react the way he did.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Don't discount it ...

'When is deadly use of force justifiable?'

Under those conditions, Timothy Thomas' death sparked the dry timber of the city's race relations.

Thomas was wanted on 14 misdemeanor warrants: three for driving with an expired license, four for seat belt violations, five for driving without a driver's license and two for obstruction of official business.

In an interview with CNN, Mfume said the warrants did not excuse the shooting.

"This is a young man who didn't have a record. He had warrants on him for not wearing a seat belt and things of that nature," he said. "And the question becomes: When is the deadly use of force justifiable?"

Streicher said the department concluded its own investigation Wednesday but declined to reveal its conclusions. He said a police videotape subpoenaed by the Hamilton County prosecutor showed the officer's approach of the suspect and the shooting.

"So we have a pretty good understanding of what actually did occur," he said, but would not say if Thomas made any threatening gesture toward the officer.

But, he said, the number of African-American deaths at the hands of his officers is "of great concern to us as an agency."

"It's also a great concern to the community here," he said.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.

People who don't wear their seat belts deserve to die in traffic accidents, but they don't deserve to get shot for it.

Of course, people who run deserve what they get.
Like in the 'America's Most Dangerous Chases' where the guy speeding away from the cops drives into an intersection and gets smuushed by a tractor-trailer coming the other way. That's damned FUNNY!

'Shot while fleeing' incidents are just another one of nature's ways of weeding out the terminally stupid among us.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps