Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Prejudice of the Jews

Author Topic: Prejudice of the Jews
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

For many years, I believe the 'line' that the Jews were the innocent victims of persecution and that they didn't do persecution of others.

This 'line' was breached when I began to read the Talmud. There are several laws that define the social barriers between Jews and others-the sectarians and the gentiles.

Here is one such law-
This is found in Shabbos 83a2.
The law says a Jewish child should be not be seen socializing with a gentile child who is older than 9. This law was decreed by the Rabbis as a protection for their children from the ways of the gentiles, especially those who practice idol worship. The Rabbis feared that their children would be entranced by the parents of these children into a non-Jewish religion and come to practice some of the rites, ex. sodomy.

And the sectarians were feared. (Sectarians are separate sects within Judaism that had developed alternative approaches to the main faith.) In the time of the Amoraim (200 to 500 CE), there existed an academy for the sectarians called Beis Avidan. (Beis Avidan is the Rabbis name for the Academy.) The leading rabbis of the Amora would not go to the academy for fear that they would be killed by the over zealous members. (Shabbos 115 to 116)

Both of these sections illustrate the apprehension, suspicion, and hatred of the Jews toward non-believers.

I agree with the statement that the Jews rarely killed non-believers; however, they did have a strong hatred of non-believers. If they hadn't been abused, the Jews may have become themselves the persecutors.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know....seeing as how a big chunck of the Old Testament is how God's Chosen People wandered around killing people - particularly those that worshipped idols or more than one god or just another god - that stood between them and their Holy Land. That is when they weren't being smacked-down by God himself for losing faith....

...you wouldn't really think that it would be a good basis for a tolerant society...

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, they believe that they are "God's chosen people". The rest of us goyem.

Which sounds a lot like a master race complex...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and I am one of the many incarnations of Satan himself.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining 'Where is our funding'? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care?"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most folks who subscribe to a (Western) religion believe they are God's chosen. That certainly isn't JUST a Jewish thing.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. But the Jews had this idea that it was genetically-linked - they didn't just mean people of their religion, but only people with their genotype (ie: Descendents of Abraham's oldest wife).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Bleh!!

When will you people realize that religion causes deep shite?!?!

------------------
It never stops, when my mama ask me will I change
I tell her yeah, but it's clear I'll always be the same
Until the end of time
- Tupac Shakur, Untill the End of Time

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno.....I don't have much of a problem with Confucianism or Taoism....but then again..one could make the argument that they aren't really religions but more like philosophies...

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps