Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Creeping Environmentalism... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Creeping Environmentalism...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://library.northernlight.com/EB20010605940000011.html?dx=1006&rq=0#doc

To make the long story short, the idea is to impose tariffs against cheap foreign-made steel (currently being 'dumped' on the market, according to the financial channels), to protect our own industries and economy. Which is sound, financially.

But there's a side effect.
Most of this cheap, foreign steel comes from foundries in China. Foundries that make our dirtiest mills look like a hospital surgical ward by comparison. Foundries that pollute ten times more than ones in the US, spewing sulfur dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Less production = less pollution.
Just doing out part, but you can hold the applause, since you'll hold it anyway.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if I agree/disagree with the righteousness of the move, but I don't think it's a horrible idea. It's not like Americans need to put another two SUV's in their garages before the year is out.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since you're doing it mainly to protect (as you say) you're own industries and economy, it's not especially noble when good comes out of it.

Look! I set fire to people! But I destroyed nasty bacteria while doing it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see. By passing this law, we're protecting our economy, and thus protecting jobs; we're protecting the environment; AND we're helping speed up the eventual destruction of the Chinese government. Bad... where?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't go that far, Omega. We all know of your outright hatred of the Chinese Commies and such, but perhaps you could talk in a more "reconciliary" tone.

It's a good law. It will at the very least allow the Chinese government to clean up its act. As soon as they stop whining.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've decided to use this post to point out every time I can find that the Bush administration does something pro-environment. This will no doubt cause great gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair among the funnier doomsayers.

I read somewhere about a new Everglades-protecting initiative, and saw somewhere else where there's money going to the national parks to help take care of the maintenance backlog (hmm, how'd that backlog pile up during the Clinton/Gore overseer era? I thought they were PRO-wildlife areas?) Unfortunately, I haven't linked to those yet.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if he can reverse his stand of the Oil fields and put more money into research for Alternative sources of energy.........

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All hail George W Bush - the champion of the green campaign and the new global spokesman on green issues.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Let us suckle on his green teet.

Omega: I never said it was bad. Your English reading = bad.

I'm just not going to suddenly start praising the all mighty George Dubya just because one of his laws to protect the US also happens to help the world.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna:

We all know of your outright hatred of the Chinese Commies and such, but perhaps you could talk in a more "reconciliary" tone.

One does not reconcile with evil people in control of the largest army on the planet and the ability to nuke any city anywhere (thank you, Bill), and who have no conscience. One destroys them. Don't you get it? We're talking about a handful of people who are trampling the rights of over a fifth of the planet, and threatening the security of the rest of it! If given the choice between allowing someone like that to continue and stopping them, you STOP THEM.

Liam:

I'm just not going to suddenly start praising the all mighty George Dubya just because one of his laws to protect the US also happens to help the world.

So then just what WILL you praise him for? If he passed a law that you thought helped China while hurting us, you'd undoubtedly say he wasn't doing his job.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No!

What one does is to make most favored nation trade status permanent!

That is aside from wiping them off the face of the earth because we and they disagree. Other than that priceless bit of information there's not much else I can glean from your post.

Damn those evil people. I wish we could paint them with a broader brush...I'd better go to The Home Depot!

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
What one does is to make most favored nation trade status permanent!

Okay. How long have they had that status, what's changed in that time, and how will we know when it starts working?

Personally, I think any recent reform in China is more due to some of the old hard-liners dying off than to any real economic influence.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and?

The point I make is that there are many in Washington who, as conservative as anyone here, don't care to make the Chinese into mincemeat because of any personal feelings of evilness (but that won't stop our dear board mates from huriling moral invictives about like rice). Preferring instead to take that 'economic freedom' and the American lack of linking MFN status to human rights route and line their own pockets thereby not doing a derned thing.

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Saltah'na
Member # 33

One destroys them. Don't you get it?

No, and I won't say anymore.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"So then just what WILL you praise him for?"

If he does something that helps the world, off his own back, and doesn't just help the US. Cutting Co2 emmissions, researching alternative sources of power, cutting third world debt, making Mojo Jojo the new Vice-President, something along those lines.

Or he could send me a birthday card. One isn't too much to ask for.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps