Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Song flame #3 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Song flame #3
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I agree with Simon. I listen to modern rock radio stations and, although there is a lot of quality, there is not all that much creativity. Now, that isn't always a bad thing. In fact, two of my favorite songs right now are covers(Cake's I Will Survive and Orgy's Blue Monday). But I try to look for creativity in the lyrics and an ability to do what you try to do well.

Of the bands I regularly listen to(Fastball, Everclear, Oasis, Wallflowers, Semisonic, Marcy Playground, Soul Coughing, Beck, Dave Matthews Band, Offspring, and the Violent Femmes) not many are all that revolutionary, particularly the first six. Soul Coughing is transcendent of all forms of media, so it don't really count, Beck is nicely original, Dave does stuff which isn't done much in this day and age, and the Femmes are... well, they just kick ass.

Now, granted, my perception of all music is a bit warped due to my vast tastes. I own the White Album, organized an Irish folk music concert, and have various pieces by Holst lying about. However, I'm quite comfortable cranking up the Bush(I am looking to get one of those machineheads, I hear they're better than the rest) and nothing is quite as kicking it as some Beastie Boys(come on, can I get some action from the back section?). So, anything I say musically must be taken with the greatest of grains of salts.

Oh, and They Might Be Giants are a wonderful band (not really, but I don't want to upset Simon by leaving them out).

------------------
Please don't put your life in the hands of a Rock n Roll band
Who'll throw it all away
So I start the revolution from my bed
Cos you said the brains I have went to my head -

Oasis

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Anyone else noticed almost every single band of today can't sing worth crap, live? Heard the cardigans live yesterday on the radio, it was awful.

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the sad bunny that goes into raptures when Peter, Paul and Mary are played on the 'Gold' stations...especially when they are covering Dillon...and lets face it they were doing their stuff before I was born!!!! My dad has a lot to answer for......

------------------
I'm the Worlds First Fully Functional Homicidal Artist.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.