Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Japanese Knifing (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Japanese Knifing
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while we're on the subject of crime...

quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The violent crime rate plunged 15 percent last year, the largest one-year drop in the 27-year history of a leading government crime survey.

The Justice Department reported Wednesday that the rate of property crimes such as burglary and auto theft also fell -- down 10 percent from 1999.

The Bureau of Justice Statistics' national crime victimization survey estimated there were 25.9 million violent and property crimes in 2000, nearly 3 million fewer than the year before. That was the lowest figure since the survey was begun in 1973, when it found an estimated 44 million crimes.

Now, I'm not SAYING that all these new states with carry laws, or these new programs like Operation Exile are the cause, but...

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite curious to know what Operation Exile is. It sounds quite cool and pointy.

But would these new laws have been introduced under the Clinton administration?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could be all the cops out there on the streets rather than the concealed bazooka Sol carries in his pants that might be heling to reduce crime?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be the dumb optimist and hold out hope that the crime rate is dropping because humanity is maturing.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. Optimism like that is gonna get stabbed in back at 2 am in some dark alley behind Reliant Stadium.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Operation Exile was enacted in Richmond, VA a few years ago when crime was very high. Basically, they started enforcing a law which stated that a person who was convicted of using a gun in the commission of a felony, or even POSSESSING one during the crime (even if it wasn't fired or displayed) would receive a MANDATORY 5-year sentence in federal prison. No chance of getting out of it.

Last I heard, the crime rate had dropped about 53%.

quote:
But would these new laws have been introduced under the Clinton administration?

Under, as in DURING? Yes. Under, as in BY? No.

quote:
Or it could be all the cops out there on the streets

Would this be the thousands of new cops that Clinton was going to add, but didn't? Or do you mean that suddenly and without warning, police coverage and protection and efficiency suddenly jumped 25%?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to go back a couple of pages to fo2's 'derogatory' terms because this is my first look at this thread. I can't speak of the Chinese, Japanese, etc ones, but the Indian one "KALA" is the masculine form of a word which simply means black. It can be used to describe people and also objects and is by no means derogatory.

Now, carry on...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Well, MANY derogatory and offensive words have inoffensive origins. It's USE and INTENT that determins offense.

The 'N' word is simply a regional coruption of 'Negro' which is simply the Spanish word for "Black" as well.

UNLESS you follow the theory that suggests that the 'N' word derived from 'niggardly' meaning lazy and shiftless, in which case it was originally applied to whites as much or more as to blacks.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure Clinton couldn't keep that promise about 100,000 new cops. The Republican congress blocked the Federal funds. Bad 'pubies.

Not to mention that in a lot of cases, cities couldn't find enough applicants who could pass the screening. Newsweek ran a blurb about Detroit's problem in police recruiting: essentially, only about 2% of those who applied were able to pass the background check, physical test, etc.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Sure Clinton couldn't keep that promise about 100,000 new cops. The Republican congress blocked the Federal funds. Bad 'pubies.

Actually, I'm not certain that was the only, or even a major, reason.

In any case, it's irrelevant, because the crime rate declined WITHOUT them.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In any case, it's irrelevant, because the crime rate declined WITHOUT them.

Then why bring it up?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Ask jay.. although it's my opinion he was just looking to make a Simon's Size joke.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider if you will the following:

Percent change 1999-2000
Violent crimes: -14.9%
Rape/sexual assault: -29.4%
Robbery: -11.1%
Assault: -14.2%
Personal theft: 33.3%
Source: Department of Justice

A table that my darling LA Times ran last night. Not really sure what "personal theft" means.

I didn't mention Clinton. I don't have to. Any reasonable person recognizes that major urban areas have moved to add thousands of police officers...such as in my case...Los Angeles.

I think that that more so than any "carry laws" worked to lower the violent crime rate.

AND it was a great chance to poke fun at Sol's vast member.

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Baltimore's drop in crime is more a result of a re-structuring of police deployments (more cops to high crime area -- what an amazing idea) and more cops on the street.

Also, while Fo2 failed to mention it, Virginia's Governor when "Operation: Exile" was put into effect was ... a Democrat. The program was extended to the entire state WELL before the election that ousted him (same as the one that put Dubya in office).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps