Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Boy Killers To Be Released From Prison (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Boy Killers To Be Released From Prison
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that those two kids must have had something REALLY, REALLY WRONG with them to kill a 2 year old at 10 years old. I don't believe in capital punishment, probably cause i never grew up in a society that has it. i live in canada and they got rid of capital punishment a long time ago. but now some people are trying to bring it back.

What does the 10 commandments say? YOU SHALL NOT KILL.

also while we can detect the double Y cromosome, and prove it makes males more aggressive, we havn't been able to prove that it causes extreme violence in people. i saw a report on tv a while ago. and they said that men with the double Y cromosome are just as likely to commit a violent crime than others.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don't believe in child killing. which is why i'm not totaly on the side of the kids or the people on this forum who want to execute them either. i don't thing anyone deserves to be treated that way. not the toddler or the now 18 year old kids. it also seems to me that some people on this forum are almost at the point of pulling the trigger themselves. If you are on of those people just step back and look at what your saying... would you really have the balls to kill some kid in cold blood, even if they did something so gastly wrong that it makes me sick just thinking about it. I'd like to think that people are a little more civilized than that.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double-Y? We're talking about people who have an XYY pattern, right? I'm not familiar with that. Interesting.

Oh, and BTW, it's "murder", not "kill". And we've been through this before, so that's all I have to say on the subject. Just FYI.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double Y does occur, but I think most of the theories that it leads to testosterone-loaded-raging-killer are 60s-type bunk that had since been disproven. I'd verify this, but thankfully my university Bio text is packed at the very bottom of a bigass box several thousand kilometers away.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Da_bang80
Member # 528

it may have been XYY, i wasn't really listinin to the article.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there's a condition in which someone can have XXY, but I don't know about XYY or YY.

"What does the 10 commandments say? YOU SHALL NOT KILL."

Um... It may be a good idea, but it isn't like the Book of Exodus is the best moral authority in the world...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*racks brain*

Y0 = spontaneous abortion
X0 = Turner female
XY = "normal" male
XX = "normal" female
XXY = Kleinfelter male (?)
XYY = male, indistinguisable from XY*
XXX = female, indistinguishable from XX

* = IIRC it's been shown that mental retardation is more common in XYYs, but I'm unsure.

And I most certainly could be wrong on a few. This is from memory. I'm scaring myself.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's more than enough.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Genetic mutation does not make these boys any less accountable for killing James. It's like saying either "God made me do it, he gave me the agressiveness", or "The Parents made me do it, they supplied the faulty genetic information".

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
Member # 528

i know Exodus isn't the best moral authority, like sending plagues to your landlords an all. but i try to live by the 10 commandments as best i can.

--------------------

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regards to the death penalty, three words: NO! NO! NO! The death penalty does absolutely jack shit other than to satisfy the blood thirst of the grieving. By killing the bastard who killed a loved one, will that bring back the loved one? An eye for an eye.....is a dated concept and should remain in the confines of the dark ages. If we did have the death penalty here, where would you draw the line in its usage? Would the Birmingham Six still be here today if they had been killed at the time of the bombing? Killing the alleged criminal would become a political tool to gain some more popularity. Do we honestly want to give the politicians a tool like this to show us just how good they actually are?

Thompson and Venables were 10 years old at the time of the murder - when they were legally still children without any of the arguments surrounding the mature child. It is perfectly just that they be let out now and public opinion cannot be allowed to dictate what is done to criminals because then it'd be chaos. The politicians have made a decision which in my opinion is right at the time they made it. LIVE WITH IT!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOLY SHIT! I appear to have really pissed off a lot of people on this suject and my comments. But hey, at least it got you all taling.

Mmm, I still think that it's time for a sharp exit . . . exit stage left!

And promptly enters stage right.

Mmm, eye for a eye is outdated. OK, I'll agree with that. So we through everyone in prison - that's not such a good idea as they can only hold so many. Hey! What about "death of personality"? Like in B5. The person could be returned to society and be productive and make up for their sins. Of course we'd have to make a load of technical advacnes to do that. Thoughts?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The politicians have made a decision which in my opinion is right at the time they made it."

Do you want to be the people who have to live next door to them and such, after they're released?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you want to be the people who have to live next door to them and such, after they're released?

Well, no. Because if I know who they are, then everyone else will know, and there'll be an angry mob trampling all over my front garden and crushing my geraniums.

These two kids. . . Their lives are fucked up anyway. Their parents kicked off the start of a bad job, failing to teach them basic morality, right and wrong, the consequences of their actions. Then they were allowed to watch nihilistic slasher films (note: and the parents got off scot-free on this one! Rather than making parents take responsibility for what their children watch, they just went out and banned anything they considered too violent) such as the much-slammed Child's Play 3 which featured a similar crime to the one they subsequently committed.

They're never going to have 'normal' lives. Question is, do you leave them to rot in jail or do you allow them to maybe make something of themselves (although I'd say the near-certain threat of exposure would work against them)? Forget the death penalty, forget "an eye for an eye," that's not gonna happen. They were two stupid, thoughtless, evil little boys who've now spent the majority of their lives in custody. I'd like to hope that 8 or 9 very formative years have undone the damage their asshole parents inflicted.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: I really wouldn't mind living next to them because I believe in second chances. I would probably be a little uncomfortable - who wouldn't? - but I wouldn't tell anyone who they were. If they kill again, by all means lock them up and throw away the key. The kind of vigilante justice that some people here seem to espouse however is a load of bullshit and has no place in a so called civilised society. As Lee said, they've had eight years inside, lets give them a chance and hope that they have learned their lesson and can be a productive part of society in the future.

AKB: I'm a strong believer in rehabilitation, and believe that a process that is managed well can lead to ordinary, decent people being released. They'd obviously have to be given jobs upon release to give them a decent chance of looking after themselves. It is this that is the future, not the draconian measures proposed earlier. If you stop people re-offending, it's one serious problem lessened. Throwing people in jail is only a short termist view and we need to look beyond that because as you rightly said, there are only so many prisons and places to lock people up.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Orion Syndicate ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps