Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » School project: rewrite the Constitution (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: School project: rewrite the Constitution
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because as it is, children can't legally be punished, or controlled in ANY way, by their parents. There has to be SOME expressed differential between the rights of adults and the rights of children, but a statement of such a differential would be so complex, and there are so many possible formulations of it, that I would sooner leave it up to the states. All states already have such laws, I'm sure, and if they didn't, they soon would. It's mainly a matter of simplification. Notice that there's no protection against rape in the Constitution, either. The federal government doesn't have to deal with EVERYTHING, and it's far better if it doesn't.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to add the Bill of Rights You Don't Have.

And add to that:

"You do not have the right to stand idly by while your child rampages through a public place like a psychotic midget."

and

"You do not have the right to remain in a movie theater with a screaming infant."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then the soccer mom's would be angry.

--------------------

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, children can be legally "controlled" and "punished" (those words conjure up images of a loving family), just not in the way you probably wish they could be punished: physically. Now, I am not a parent, but I was an obedient child, and my parents never laid a hand on me. Any parent who must resort to beating a child is probably the cause of the child's misbehavior in the first place.

Something tells me that if a state passed a "Child Protection Act" under your "Un-equal (Children's) "Rights" Amendment," stating that parents may not physically abuse/harm their child in any way, suddenly the Constitution would need another revision, an Amendment trumping that state's Omega-given right to pass laws in this area.

Omega
Member # 91

The fourteenth ammendment says that NO ONE in the United States can be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Take away candy? Unconstitutional. Make 'em sit in the corner? Unconstitutional.

those words conjure up images of a loving family

Yes. They do. A parent that doesn't control their child either doesn't care about said child's development into a functioning member of society, or is so dumb that they should have had kids in the first place.

Any parent who must resort to beating a child is probably the cause of the child's misbehavior in the first place.

Do the species a favor and don't breed until you actually learn something about children. Some children are difficult by nature. My parents raised three kids in more or less the exact same manner. One was (and is) difficult, refused to do what he was told, and totally screwed up his life. Another (me) was similar, but turned out quite well-behaved, thanks in no small part to a few good spankings at appropriate times. (The third was brain-damaged by meningitis at an early age, and isn't really apropriate for comparison.) Physical punishment works.

Really, if you think my amendment is so bad, why don't you propose a better one? It'd work far better than your current tack.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*takes notes..... second of three children..... resumes research*

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Omega, you believe that neither the "nurture" nor "nature" side is correct, but that the "truth" (so to speak) is somewhere in the middle?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if your parents raised both of you the same way, then even in your own family your "(don't) spare the rod . . . " method only has a 50% success rate, and that is if we discount your younger sibling. You conveniently forgot to quote my statement regarding my obedience to non-violent parents. My parents instilled in me at an early age that their authority, experience, intelligence, and knowledge should be respected, and I did. Any "reasonable" child would do the same, without violence. I agree that some children, "by nature," are more difficult. In that case, the nature of that difficulty should be addressed, be it biological, chemical, or emotional, by professionals.

I will not propose an ammendment, because an ammendment is unneccessary. I believe that children have the same rights to life, liberty, and happiness as adults. And if an adult grounds a child, for good reason, "depriving" her/him of liberty, a "reasonable" child will realize why he/she was grounded. If he/she pursues the "violation" of his/her rights in court, a "reasonable" court will rule in favor of the parents, who were acting in the child's best interest. Why should adults be entitled to more rights than children?

The "family unit" of this nation has functioned for over 200 years without clarification from the government. Frankly, the less "clarification" from the government on the most personal insitution in our lives, the better.

P.S. You do not have to worry about me "breeding" any time soon; I will not do so until I am married, and marriage is probably 10+ years down the road for me, if ever.

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega likes to tell people not to breed so he can assert his intelligence and feel better about himself. I'd now like to quote our British genius PsyLiam ...

"...you know, Omega, there's a phrase you might want to look up. It goes something like "paranoid arrogant fuckwit who has more chance of ejaculating to the moon than he has of ever convincing a girl that he's a viable prospect for marriage." -- September 16, 2000 10:23 PM.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

I fail to see how degrading the physical act of love, a process by which another human being may created, by derogatorily referring to it as "breeding," could make one feel intelligent.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ask Omega.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The fourteenth ammendment says that NO ONE in the United States can be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Take away candy? Unconstitutional. Make 'em sit in the corner? Unconstitutional.

Talk about interpreting the Constitution.

And wrongly too.

Just for your referemnce, the appropriate section of the 14th Amendment reads:

quote:
Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens
of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life,
liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

So, Omega, you believe that neither the "nurture" nor "nature" side is correct, but that the "truth" (so to speak) is somewhere in the middle?

Everyone's got a base personality. It's like their OS: the software that comes pre-installed. But most, if not all, of it can be changed, either by environment or by purposeful effort. You start as one thing, and may or may not change to something else. All depends.

Well, if your parents raised both of you the same way, then even in your own family your "(don't) spare the rod . . . " method only has a 50% success rate, and that is if we discount your younger sibling.

Um... why are all of you assuming that the third is the youngest? Just because I MENTIONED him third...

As for the success rate, he could have been punished more and it would likely have helped. Remember, I was a much easier child.

You conveniently forgot to quote my statement regarding my obedience to non-violent parents.

Part of your ingrained personality. More difficult children can require different approaches.

Any "reasonable" child would do the same, without violence.

Find me a reasonable child, and I'll find you five that aren't.

In that case, the nature of that difficulty should be addressed, be it biological, chemical, or emotional, by professionals.

Oh, OK. So we should just drug kids instead of diciplining them. Just so we're clear on that.

a "reasonable" court will rule in favor of the parents, who were acting in the child's best interest

It's still a violation of rights. By your standard, the government can take away everyone's guns, and keep them from going to church, and claim that it's in their best interest. It would be absurd to claim that as a legal standard.

Why should adults be entitled to more rights than children?

Because children are not mentally capable of handling the responsibilities of adults. If children had the same rights as adults, children could own and carry guns. Children could also not be punished by their parents. These are obviously undesirable.

Frankly, the less "clarification" from the government on the most personal insitution in our lives, the better.

Hang on. I'm telling the federal government that it CAN'T interfere with family issues. That seems to be exactly what you want. And yet you're complaining? You're not making any sense. Heck, you're the one advocating that kids should be drugged or sent to therapists instead of diciplined.

I fail to see how degrading the physical act of love, a process by which another human being may created, by derogatorily referring to it as "breeding," could make one feel intelligent.

So do I. And considering it was practically quoted from the Doc on Voyager...

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Frelled up memory...

Still, the point about guns remains.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps