Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » School project: rewrite the Constitution (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: School project: rewrite the Constitution
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But surely, Omega, you can realize that there is a line between punishment and child abuse. When that line is crossed, the government (be it local, state, or Federal) needs to step in and correct the situation.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. That's what the state laws against child abuse are for. But I don't think it's the fed's job. The individual states doing the job, each in their own way, would be far more efficient, more likely to hit upon a working solution, and keep the Congress from wasting its time on a matter that's not in its mandate.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as there are organizations to step in and make sure abusive parents don't get away with what they're doing, I don't care which system of government is doing it. On the other hand, if all the states are doing the same things, why not make Federal regulations on the minimum enforcement ... that way, states can prosecute abusive parents on Federal charges as well as boast that they're "tougher then Federal mandates!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, Mandrake, I first became aware of it during...during the physical act of love."
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, if all the states are doing the same things, why not make Federal regulations on the minimum enforcement ... that way, states can prosecute abusive parents on Federal charges as well as boast that they're "tougher then Federal mandates!"

Because that's exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want the federal government involved in ANY way. Say Congress passes legislation making the minimal allowable enforcement the maximum reasonable enforcement. What then? They'd just have eusurped the power of the states again, and it would have defeated the entire purpose of the ammendment. I don't want Congress to even THINK about things not in its mandate, because it's a waste of their time.

Story: we could have killed or captured Osama bin Laden seven years ago, shortly after the first WTC bombing. We knew exactly where he was, and I mean exactly, for almost a month. But because Congress was too busy with garbage and not paying enough attention to its one real job of national defense, he got away.

We have a division of powers among the different levels of government for a reason.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As far as Bin Laden goes, the CIA has never seemed to know where he is. They're the ones who said he was in an aspirin factory in the Sudan, remember?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone needs to clarify what "physically controlling their child" actually means. Does it mean picking them up if they're trowing a tantrum? Dragging them out of a cinema? Pulling down their pants and smacking them on the bum? Attacking them with a leap pipe?

Smacking still legal in this country, I believe. But only to children over 3, and only on the bottom, or something strange like that.

Oh, and I made a hilarious quote about breeding? When?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Uh, you don't remember? It was awhile ago -- we talked about it (briefly) on ICQ a short ways away. And someone had it as their quote for the longest time.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I demand we hunt down this instance of me being funny!

Was it better than the time you thought that energy was created when babies were conceived Jeff?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Your quote was edited into my original post on the matter so as not to attract too much attention to it. Liam, even though you were 'away', I sent it to you via ICQ. Enjoy.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

Someone needs to clarify what "physically controlling their child" actually means.

The states.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So if New Mexico says its okay for a parent to bash their child with a hammer, it's okay?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify, though I think only one person misinterpreted me: I do not think children should be "drugged." If a child is "difficult," there is a chance a chemical imbalance, or an emotional difficulty, is the root cause of the "difficulty." Thus, treating the imbalance with drugs (to "make the child normal"), or counseling the child, could very well eliminate the "difficulty." Likewise, if the root cause is biological, chemical, or emotional, probably no amount of "discipline" will improve the child's behavior. If the discipline is physical, a parent might extract obedience for a while, since the child would be fearful, but, in the end, the "difficulty" would probably be exacerbated.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People of all ages are citizens of the United States and of the several states, specifically the state in which they live. Unless you are planning to take citizenship away from people under the age of...what was that randomly selected age again...and repeal the 14th amendment while you are at it, then this is a moot and rather point "giving" the several states power.

Citizens of all ages have and should continue to have redress in cases where due process in cases involving federal and state governments. Which is what the 14 Amendment is about. It is not about interpersonal relationships. Again, as I see it you are misreading the Amendment.

quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

This was written to prevent slavery and to insure that African Americans were citizens with the same right as the whites that had enslaved them.

Slavery might be viewed as a personal and private relationship between a master and a slave, but it could not exist without state sanction and law allowing it. As a result, the amendment was worded to:

• State specifically that every citizen was a citizen of not just the several states but of the United States states as a whole. As such an Texan had the same national rights and immunities as a Californian.

• And to insure that if a person was held to involuntary servitude (i.e. prison work gangs), that there was legal and due process to buttress the sentence.

Your only real option is to enumerate, as you see them, the rights of children.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...His personal vision on those rights seems to be lifted directly from the Middle Ages. Maybe he wasn't beaten (he is, after all, a proponent of physical violence towards children) often enough to realize this.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps