Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » School project: rewrite the Constitution (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: School project: rewrite the Constitution
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"what's preventing your Parliment from declaring, say, Meg Thatcher to be dictator?"

Aside from the fact that our whole social, economic, and cheese making system isn't set up to support a dictator, and the fact that if it happened, everyone would simply move?

It's also hard to take someone's arguments seriously when they know so little about a country that they think that one of it's longest serving (and most famous and evil) leaders is called "Meg".

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's still legal for a three-year-old to own a gun. This is bad.

Certainly not that you've done any research on age restrictions on gun ownership, but I'd bet that's a position the NRA supports...lest we go down that slippery slope of limiting gun ownership.

Other than that the assertion is silly and in no way defends your other silly positions I called you on.

We again have the old diversion tactic. We've grown to expect no less.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ Another reason why I don't take any of the crap Omega spews around seriously anymore.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd bet that's a position the NRA supports

How much would you like to bet? I could use some spending cash.

Such blathering of spurious attacks is beneath you.

(I can say, after going to see 'Harry Potter' this weekend, that whether or not the government or parents have any right to 'control' children, they do very lousy jobs of doing it. Ratty munchkins kicked my seat for 2 1/2 hours straight!)

Hey, if the govt. regulates kid behaviours, can I get a law passed that makes taking toddlers and infants to movie theatres, and then refusing to leave when the child becomes loud and/or unmanageable, a felony? Hm? That would be GREAT!

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here here

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh. For someone who works with children, you sure have a general lack of tolerance of immature behaviour.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'd better put sarcasm marks around my sarcastic remarks so Fo2 can get it.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tolerate children because:

1. They will generally be GONE in half an hour.
2. They aren't MINE, and therefore aren't my responsibility. I am not a babysitter.

And it's not the children's behaviour I'm really complaining about here... it's the parents'.

I mean, if I'd behaved the way these kids behaved, (and I couldn't have, because my parents kept me out of movie theatres until I was 5 and had learned to keep still), moments later you could have fried an egg on my butt from the spanking I got.

It's DISCIPLINE, people!!!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want kids to be there, go to a late night showing. Or during school time. Or wait a week or so for the crowds to have died down.

I know it's not condonable, but going to see a kids film at a time when the cinema will be swarming with kids and then complaining that they acted like children is a bit, well, daft.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My, my, you all have been busy since I've been gone. Greetings from Alabama to everyone. had this tread started before August I could have chimed in before it got as big as it did, but since some of you seem pretty interested in outside sources to supplement the topic, I have a few you all might be interested in.

The Problems of Jurisprudence by Richard Posner
Overcoming Law by Richard Posner
An Affair of State by Richard Posner
The People's Welfare (published by UNC Press)
The Guardian of Every Other Right by Garratt Epps
The Problematics of Moral & Legal Theory by Richard Posner
Responding to Imperfection edited by Sanford Levinson

Some of these are real monsters to read, but a lot of what I've read in these posts would be answered by some the works of the above theoritician-practitioners. Sorry I can't write more (there IS a lot I would love to say) but I have to start studying for law school exams. Hope to be back during Christmas Break. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I'm not complaining that the kids acted like kids. Really, I expect that.

But I also expect that the parents will make them stop when it reaches the point that they become an irritant to other people. That's one of the prime responsibilities to being a parent... discipline. It doesn't mean whacking them... just teaching them the tifference between 'run-around-time' and 'sit-down-and-hush-time.'

And don't tell me it's impossible for kids that young to be quiet. I know that's a lie, because _I_ did it.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

*oops*

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"what's preventing your Parliment from declaring, say, Meg Thatcher to be dictator?"

One gets the feeling that Omega believes that if the Republic had had a Constitution, Senator Palpatine could never have overthrown it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apples and oranges.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps