Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "The USA shouldn't have said this." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "The USA shouldn't have said this."
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When will people learn. Democracy doesn't work"

-Homer Simpson

stuff like this makes me glad i live in Canada.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. We got rid of that pesky democracy thing a long time ago, along with everyone else who doesn't have a US-style constitution. As everybody knows, real democracies protect the interests of their own people only and fuck everyone else.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't we all just get along?
where's a hippie when you need one?
groovy

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will point out that the USA doesn't run a democracy, it runs a REPUBLIC. There's a difference.

And I agree with Tom. What we do affects the rest of the world. Therefore we are responsible for these things.

The Earth, the planet we live on, does not discriminate between country. When all the trees get chopped down in all the rainforests and regular forests down in South America and over in Europe, It's not going to look at the USA and say "Oh, they still have trees, so we'll let all the people of the USA have oxygen to breathe". When all the smog builds up in the rest of the world, and the acid rain gets so bad that it melts brick buildings with one rainstorm, The rainclouds aren't going to say "OH, there's the USA! There's no smog there so we won't rain there either".

And it goes vice-versa. Our smog doesn't stop here at our borders. The planet WE ALL live on is EVERYONE's concern.

There are some things that are more important than whether some country is dictating the USA's internal policy. I, personally, would like to know that the Earth is safe to raise children on, and that my children's children will also know what it's like to have clean air, beautiful trees/grass/flowers/nature, and safe drinking water. I do not think I'm alone in this wish.

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the case could be made that much of Canada's 'pollution problem' comes from China, the way the winds blow.

The United States has the cleanest, most efficient factories in the world, when it comes to pollution versus production, so quit whining, or build yourselves cleaner, cheaper ones and take away our business.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the usual "you first" strategy common between many different governments. I hate it. Isn't there any credibility for taking the initiative?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kyoto Treaty: Worse than useless, as I've already demonstrated, with the backing of over 17,000 fully-qualified scientists.

The anti-biowarfare treaty:
Signed by 130 nations, many of which undoubtedly have no real intention of following it.
Perhaps it's unsigned because its wording could be misinterpreted (by one of those lawyers who just LOVE reinterpreting documents). Perhaps it's too vague... would it ban growing cultures in order to create vaccines?

The anti-landmine treaty. A good idea, with one bad point: Landmines are the primary non-nuclear means of perimeter defense against the 'human wave' method of attack favored by the Chinese and Chinese-supported troops (see Korea and Vietnam). Basically, land mines provide a defense against superior numbers. (Nevertheless, there should be a worldwide effort to 'clean up' landmines in areas where conflicts have ended.)

The HRT: Giving jurisdiction over US affairs to people who believe that a smack on the behind qualifies as a human rights abuse is not something any sane leader would do.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, surely everyone who signed has taken the inititive?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Tahna: We've already gone first. Like I said, we have the cleanest factories on Earth. With us, it's more "Your Turn" or "And what are YOU doing?"

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Liam: Yeah, well, wasn't it in 1918 that Germany signed a treaty saying it gave up Alsace and Lorraine, and wouldn't build up its military again?

And what was is that became the laughingstock of 20th-Century diplomacy?? Oh, yes, Chaimberlain's "Peace in Our Time" Munich Agreement of 1938 treaty.

And didn't a lot of countries sign the Geneva Convention, and then utterly disregard it in certain wars?

And isn't there an international agreement against things like a national government seizing hostages?

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, those examples are perfectly comperable to the Kyoto Accord.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

How about the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, then?

That was the last treaty that was going to "save the world."

Hey, that reminds me... is it even possible to have a legal treaty with a nation that doesn't exist anymore? (The ABM treaty was with the USSR)

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't look at us.

*points to right wingers Mike Harris and Ralph Klein*

Go talk to them.

And may I remind you, these are right wing politicians in Ontario and Alberta respectively, who have constantly shot down any proposal to reduce pollution emissions. They say that it is the US's fault, not theirs.

Pity that Ontario is the 4th worst polluter in North America, according to a recent report. And yet, Harris is trying to EVADE and downplay the report.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubya made it official today. So much for working for the greater good.

"Any jackass can kick a barn down, but it takes a carpenter to build it."
~Sam Rayburn

Dubya is good at knocking things down. What does he intend to put in its place?

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps