Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The horror. The horror (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The horror. The horror
Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's called "seeing both sides of the picture," guys. You should try it one day."

You're so right. Limbaugh kind of makes me feel ill, and I'm somewhat conservative, but he's fun to listen to... Certainly, more fun than James Carville. Have you guys ever heard that buffoon? I keep waiting for those little veins on his forehead to burst, spilling all over his hillbilly friends (er, inbreds) who are grillin' up some squirrel in his sink. Limbaugh is no Einstein, but Carville gives new meaning to Ralph Wiggum's phrase, "I'm special!"

--------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can you say anything about non-conservatives without the word "Democrat" or "Liberal" or "Left-Wing" in there? Just wondering.

Of course he can't. When one cannot defend, he attacks.

Oh, Omega, trickle-down economics has never worked, so please stop pretending it will. Do you know anything about history ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the economy of the eighties, whereas you apparently don't, so I wouldn't go making claims about trickle-down that are patently false, were I you.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know the economy of the eighties, whereas you apparently don't, so I wouldn't go making claims about trickle-down that are patently false, were I you.

That's rather doubtful, considering that trickle-down economics failed miserably, as anyone who knew the economy of the eighties would be able to tell you.

Obviously, you need to pick up a history book at some point in your life.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just what part of the eighties economy do you consider horrible? The low tax rates? The high rate of growth? The low unemployment rates? The low inflation? The fact that more people jumped straight from the lower class to the upper class in that decade than stayed in the lower class?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
According to the Federal Reserve, in 1990 the richest 1 percent of America owned 40 percent of its wealth -- the greatest level of inequality among all rich nations, and the worst in U.S. history since the Roaring Twenties. Furthermore, the richest 20 percent owned 80 percent of America -- meaning, of course, that the bottom four-fifths of all Americans owned only one fifth of its wealth.

Another revealing way of expressing this statistic is that the top 1 percent owned more than the bottom 90 percent combined.

Oh, yeah, the old pee on my leg and tell me it's raining theory worked just fine. For the very wealthy.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

Classic liberal class warfare tactics. "I'm poor, because someone else has more than I do, and THAT'S NOT FAIR!" Look up the absolute terms, Jay. Then compair them to what we had BEFORE the Reagan tax cuts, for an even more vivid comparison.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Trickle-down (or, voodo, as Bush Sr. called it) economics usually only works when the rich spend their money.

However, the rich did not get to be rich (or, did not stay rich) by spending their money in the amounts needed for the "trickle-down" theory to work.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes. The old non argument argument there Reactionary Boy. Gee, that's just swell.

You've been the apologist before for Ronnie usually going on about the rising tide and all that rot...I think it's clear that that did not happen in the 80's and does not happen when wealth "trickles down".

One waters the tree at the roots to help it grow as a whole.

Trickle down is a poor excuse for an economic policy. It is simply an excuse for the wealthy to get to the trough first.

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more politics... must try to stay awake... can't fight it... must try...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

move on...to another thread then...it's really easy...

Or if you are not politically or philosophically inclined, go to the Starships & Technology forum and tell them to grow up becasue it's just a television show. That seems to be the speed you want to run at.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You... Are absolutely right. Someone needs to tell those tekkie-talkers a little lesson in reality. But it ain't gonna be me.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
We. Have. A. LARGE. Surplus.

How could I miss that one.

We have a projected surplus.

Or had until Dubya decided to buy off the voters...like he was holding a hot dog roast and beer party back in the political day.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

When did you become such an idiot, Jay? You used to be reasonably intelligent. It's a sad thing, really.

You and Jeff have yet to make a real argument. You just spout trite cliches. Come on, Jay. You're a librarian. You have access to massive amounts of information. Look something up, for once. I'd ask Rob to, but he's busy.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One waters the tree at the roots to help it grow as a whole.

If the leaves get no sunlight, you can water the roots till you're sore, and the tree will STILL die. It's the leaves that do the work that feeds the whole tree.

I love it when folks use poor analogies.

What do I remember about the 80's? Hm.. my 9th through 17th birthdays, and thousands of people coming straight out of college into high-paying jobs, something whach hadn't occurred ever before. We had to coin a whole new word for these people... Yuppies. Now you're trying to tell me that they were all starving? No, I think not.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps