Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » One less neanderthal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: One less neanderthal
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sources: Jesse Helms to retire
By Scott Mooneyham
Aug. 21, 2001 | RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) --

Sen. Jesse Helms, one of the most powerful conservative voices in Congress, plans to retire when his term expires in 2003, The Associated Press learned Tuesday.

Two sources who spoke with staffers in Helms' office said Tuesday the five-term Republican will announce his retirement plans Wednesday night on WRAL-TV. The sources spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Helms, who turns 80 on Oct. 18, was first elected to the Senate in 1972. In recent years, he has suffered from a variety of health problems, including prostate cancer.

A bit of a list my dear paper is runing with the story.

POLITICAL CAREER
1951-53: Administrative assistant for U.S. Sen. Willis Smith.
1953-60: Executive director of the N.C. Bankers Assn.
1960-72: Executive vice president of WRAL-TV and the Tobacco Radio Network.
1972: Elected to the U.S. Senate with 54% of the vote.
1976: Nominated for vice president at the GOP convention in Kansas City. He asked that his name be withdrawn.
1978: Reelected with 55% of the vote.
1984: Reelected with 52% of the vote, defeating Gov. James B. Hunt Jr.
1987: Opposes Clean Water Act (joined by only five other senators) and arms control agreement with Soviets (joined by only two others).
1989: Introduces legislation prohibiting the use of federal funds by the National Endowment for the Arts for art considered obscene.
1990: One of only 11 senators to oppose Clean Air Act.
Reelected with 53% of the vote.
1992: Undergoes quadruple bypass surgery and heart valve replacement; Helms quits smoking.
1993: Loses battle to renew United Daughters of the Confederacy patent on symbol incorporating the Confederate flag.
1994: Warns that then-President Clinton "better have a bodyguard" if he visits North Carolina. Helms later apologizes for the remark.
1995: Inserts language in an NEA bill that prohibits funding for art that "denigrates religion" or depicts "excretory or sexual organs or activities."
1996: Reelected with 53% of the vote.
2000: Blocks the third black Clinton nominee to the U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, James W. Wynn Jr.
2001: Offers an education bill amendment that would withhold federal funding from public schools that banned Boy Scouts of America meetings on school grounds because of their exclusion of gays. Amendment passes but is countered by amendment introduced by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.).

----

Ok, it's politics...but at least it ain't Dubya.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MC Hawking said it best, baby--"Why Won't Jesse Helms Hurry Up & Die?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1976: Nominated for vice president at the GOP convention in Kansas City. He asked that his name be withdrawn.

Heh. Wonder Why.

2001: Offers an education bill amendment that would withhold federal funding from public schools that banned Boy Scouts of America meetings on school grounds because of their exclusion of gays. Amendment passes but is countered by amendment introduced by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.).

Need to know: Was it the BSoA doing exclusions or was it the public schools themselves?

1960-72: Executive vice president of WRAL-TV and the Tobacco Radio Network.
1992: Undergoes quadruple bypass surgery and heart valve replacement; Helms quits smoking.

Ah, such bitter Irony. One wonders if he still supports cigarrette makers.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope Jay's paper isn't one of those 'clearly unbiased media sources' we're always being told about.

I mean, I personally disliked Mr. Helms most of the time, and I think his stances on homosexuality were positively Precambrian, but the man DID get re-elected over and over again, so there must have been something that his constituents liked about him.

A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that the 2008 Olympic Games should not be held in Beijing unless the Government of the People's Republic of China releases all political prisoners, ratifies the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and observes internationally recognized human rights

A concurrent resolution congratulating Ukraine on the 10th anniversary of the restoration of its independence and supporting its full integration into the Euro-Atlantic community of democracies.

A resolution to express the sense of the Senate regarding the 1944 deportation of the Chechen people to central Asia, and for other purposes

A resolution congratulating the people of Peru on the occasion of their democratic elections on June 3, 2001.

A bill to amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to make preferential treatment an unlawful employment practice, and for other purposes.

A bill to preserve and protect the free choice of individual employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, or to refrain from such activities.

A bill to require labor organizations to provide notice to members concerning their rights with respect to the expenditure of funds for activities unrelated to collective bargaining.

Probably things like these.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna: the way I read it, the BSoA excludes gays. Some high schools then forbid the BSoA holding meetings because of this exclusion (because it's based on prejudice). Helms' bill/amendment seems to propose that such schools be denied funding.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a double standard. Organizations can be exclusionary, but you can't exclude an exclusionary organization?

But the single difference is, Schools are public, and the BSA is private. And any private organization has the right to set its own membership requirements (even if they ARE ludicrous, which they are.)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And shouldn't a public institution like a school dictate what sorts of private organisations it allows to use its facilities for?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

By law, since it receives Federal money, it can't. Because the same laws that say that a school can't discriminate against religious-based or ethnicity-based organizations (like the NAACP or a Jewish group) say that they can't discriminate against any other private group.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By that definition, I can see the Aryan Nation setting up offices on campuses across the country.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay- it certainly is possible. Then again, hardly anyone would go to them, and most certainly public pressure would force them out.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Why, sure. The same law that says that you can have 'Flaming Gay Pride' marches is the same law that says that the Klan can hold rallies downtown.

Attendance isn't mandatory for either. Don't like? Stay away. But denying one group their rights opens up the path for denying the other, no matter which one you find offensive.

(Incidentally, as a former Eagle Scout, I can say that I do NOT support the 'gay ban' in Scouting, for reasons I can logically state. For this reason, I have withdrawn my membership as a member of the National Eagle Scout Association, and no longer act as volunteer assistance for the Scouts, except such duties as my job may require.)

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Still though, the Boy Scouts are an exclusionary organization and as such really have no right to use public facilities unless they allow everyone (all members of the public including gays and squirrel lovers) to join and attend.

I think if you read the charter of most religious clubs on campus...and for that matter gay and lesbian clubs, you will find the language inclusionary. The meetings are open for all who want to attend...and anyone can become a member. However, with the Boy Scouts, the opposite is true as they exclude homosexuals. And as a privite organization they are within their rights to be as stupid and regressive as they want to be. But that does not guarantee them a spot in public facilities.

As to Helms' resolutions to express the sense and joy of the Senate in farmer Jones' creation of two heads of cheese, looks good to the folks back home, but hardly as newsworthy. Politicans are resoluting all the time.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(Incidentally, as a former Eagle Scout, I can say that I do NOT support the 'gay ban' in Scouting, for reasons I can logically state. For this reason, I have withdrawn my membership as a member of the National Eagle Scout Association, and no longer act as volunteer assistance for the Scouts, except such duties as my job may require.)

You're not the only one. Steven Spielberg also withdrew his support from the BSA. As a former Boy Scout, my kids aren't joining unless the policy is changed.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudders at the thought of Jeff having kids*

Hide the deer!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudders at the thought of Chris behind the wheel*

"Look out for the road!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps