Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Ten Commandments vs. the Constitution (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ten Commandments vs. the Constitution
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a name like Tencommandments.org, how bad can a site be? You expect essays on things like "Thou shalt not kill" and "Honor thy father and mother." Sounds good to me.

But that isn't what you'll find. Instead, such lovely passages as the following grace the pages:

"We, the corporeal citizens of America (and the world community), should acquiesce to the fact that many of the so-called "rights" and "freedoms" guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, its Amendments and the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights are not genuine rights and freedoms, but moral evils in the sight of God.

We should, therefore, not be the least disquieted at the thought of such "rights" and "freedoms" being abridged in any way, as long as only those so-called "rights" and "freedoms" which are truly evil in the sight of God are taken away, and as long as our genuine God-bestowed rights, freedoms and responsibilities to do that which is right in God's sight become state-embraced, state-established, state-guaranteed and state protected, under a new, righteous and perfectly antithetical Constitution - the Moral Law of God, without such a holy Constitution ever being amended in any way, and without the least abridgment of the holy rights, freedoms, responsibilities and rewards such a holy Constitution guarantees."

It goes on like that. I need to go swab out my eyes.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

[This message was edited by Sol System on April 08, 1999.]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes....taking things to a bit of an extreme there. However it is their right to hold that belief....no matter how much we may disagree with it.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another ugly facet of the human psyche revealed through the prism of the internet....

Whoah, that's a bit deep!

------------------
"Is there anyone there with a gun?"
- On the Hour

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just plain scary.
My mother belongs to a group of people that are like that... we call that whole church a cult. I swear, it's gotten to the point where she would do anything "In the name of God" if she could find a passage in the bible that backed it up.
You can imagine what it's like living with her, Me being a Bi-sexual Wiccan. *LOL* .. we get in some very loud arguments sometimes.

But imagine this... if these people, for some reason, begin to make their opinions law, and we end up all living under the Moral Law of God or whatever .... Imagine that. *shudders*... I don't want to live in a world that thinks there are some rights that should be taken away. It's bad enough that people still don't think that women and negros and gays are equal .. but at least we are entitled to SOME rights under the constitution ... and if the moral law of god is put into effect, women can kiss thier freedom goodbye, because they're treated as less in the bible.
Augh!
Not a pleasant thing to think about.
I'm going to go hide under my blankets till it goes away.
*hides*

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

[This message was edited by Jubilee McGann on April 08, 1999.]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I'm a devout agnostic who has been called the AntiChrist at least four times this week for criticizing Governor Bush's stand on the new Texas hate crime bill. I bet I'd last all of two days under that sort of system before I was stoned to death.

*hides under the blankets with Jubilee*

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

[This message was edited by Siegfried on April 08, 1999.]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what? Without The Constitution's evil "Rights" and "freedoms", they wouldn't even be able to say stuff like that!

Kind of ironic, don't you think?

------------------
"Bickering is pointless." - Spock, Miri
"I'm real easy to get along with most of the time, but I don't like bullies, and I don't like threats." - Janeway, State of Flux

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of thing is not surprising, since a lot of religions have radical or fanatical elements, and unfortunately this includes Christianity as well. I'm not a religious person myself, so I find it rather unsettling that some of these groups (though not this particular one) find some kind of legitimacy in Western society, especially in the US where they seem to be developing a firm hold on parts of the Republican party.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, where do you come up with these things? This is better than the Time Cube.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

If you rely on that outdated book as a basis for your government, no thanks.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

(in which you is, of course, a generic person.

Jordan
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For further details on a Theocratic Christian Facist America, I direct your attention to Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale."

Read it. And be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

J.

------------------
Goodnight my love...the brightest star in my sky...

Goodnight...you have been my sky, my sun and my moon...

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that. . .
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't even last two days.
Mostly because on the first day a government like the one they describe took power, I'd do my darndest to overthrow it, for the good of humanity.
Sickening. It's people like these that launched the Inquisition and the Salem murders.
This is as bad as someone promoting white supremacy or other such nonsense.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually read parts of it, and I noticed something. They use quotes from the Bible to justify themselves. Thing is, one can use any part of the bible to justify their actions, no matter how wrong. Case in point, The Temptation of Christ shows how the devil himself did it.

------------------
"Bickering is pointless." - Spock, Miri
"I'm real easy to get along with most of the time, but I don't like bullies, and I don't like threats." - Janeway, State of Flux

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atwood? Did somebody say Margaret Atwood?

*Begins breaking things.. lots of things....*

*scarspeak* Do not mention that name in my presence!

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.