Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Ten Commandments vs. the Constitution (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ten Commandments vs. the Constitution
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True.. one can easily use a quote from the bible to justify smoking Pot ... After all, "Any fruit or tree in the garden except the tree of knowledge"... leaves the Hemp plant fully legal and able to smoke.
And the poppy plant, as well.. which is where Liam's Opiates come from ... and Belladonna, which is a very FESTIVE little purple flower... and Marjoram.... Millions of drugs. *L*

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote The Beatles: "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see."
~Strawberry Fields Forever

And to further prove that I don't have an original thought...to quote the ever mediocre Forrest Gump: "That's all I've got to say about that."

------------------
To make an apple pie from scratch, we must first invent the universe.

~Carl Sagan

[This message was edited by Jay on April 09, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jay is not allowed [to ever come up with a single original thought]..."

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Robot: "Hey, I'm stuck up here!"
Cyclonus: "Everybody's got to be somewhere."

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With myself being a Christian, I must say that I am apalled about what those 'people' said about the Constitution of this great country I live in.

I believe that we are blessed to have the Constitution, and am sworn to uphold it (both from a personal oath and the one I took at county gov. day).

Also, should I point out the fact that there are a lot of right-wing 'religious terrorists'(hey, that is the only phrase I can think of) out there?

I leave this thread for the time being with the following quote from a very cool song:

quote:

sorry I'm not your cup o' tea
but I don't mind
Yeah, I said I don't mind
at least I know you're thinking about me
yeah, I don't mind
yeah, I said I don't mind

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[disclamatory statement: I am a Christian.]

These people are playing God.

God allows us to choose whether to follow his precepts or not. If it isn't a choice, then why doesn't he just slap us all upside the head and tell us: "Cut it out! If I wanted you to have free will, I would've beaten it into you!"

I was once in a "Christian cult" that believed somewhat like that. Perhaps not so extreme, but eventually I felt led to get out. So I did.

The Pharisees had a similar deal going in Judea around 2000 years ago. That's why they felt they had to kill an upstart who explained that the law wasn't designed to get you into heaven, but to illustrate the fact that if you had to do it yourself, you weren't going to make it.

Grace is a gift. Obedience is a gift too, but it's also a choice. If you have no choice, it isn't a gift, nor is it obedience, it's coercion.

The constitution is designed to allow all of us (Americans anyhow) to seek God or not without "official interference". It has been said that you can't legislate morality. The assumption is that it's hopeless to stand against immorality so why bother. I believe that you can only have morality when you yourself choose to uphold the standard.

These people don't want to persuade, but to enslave. They are immoral.

--Baloo

------------------
I'm a Dirtling and PROUD OF IT!

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Beams Baloo up to the Sovereign, shakes his hand, offers him a ride in the Captain's yacht or a shuttlecraft*

Well said, Baloo. That is kind of the point I was trying to make, only I'm not that good with words (and to think I'm seriously considering becomming a chaplain in the US Military)...

*Offers Baloo a chance to use the helm station and fly the ship*

BTW, you may recognize the quote in my last post from the song 'Cup O' Tea' by the Christian rock group 'Newsboys.'

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry. My ignorance runs in brightly-colored wide swatches.

I have heard of the W's, however.

(D*mn! I keep forgetting to whiten his teeth!)

------------------

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 10, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*nods approvingly at Frank's TMBG reference*

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As God, I don't know anything about this. Sorry. I'm kind of busy trying to get life started on other planets. Isn't very easy you know.

But according to your Constitution, they have an unalienable right to express that. Silly as it is.

------------------
What do you mean I'm not kind. Just not you're kind.
--Dave Mustaine
"Peace Sells"
MEGADETH

[This message was edited by Cargile on April 10, 1999.]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Cargile: You make that sound like some sort of tragedy. If the cranks and hatists (coined term) weren't legally allowed to vent their spleens in public without fear of retribution, how would we know who to keep an eye on?

The enemy who loudly announces his intention is your friend. It's the ones who keep their plans a secret that can catch you unawares. Free speech is a double-edged sword. It can cut the wielder as well as the one being attacked with it.

Don't shut the people up who are saying what you don't want to hear. If you succeed, they'll still think it, but you won't know who they are. If they decide to act upon their beliefs, they will catch you unawares.

--Baloo

------------------

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is websites like this that make me thankful that Canada has only limited freedom of speech (although this website would probably still be allowed, its only the distribution of hatred that is not).

Baloo: So that's how you find out who the wacos are down there, eh? Up here, we keep them quiet and let CSIS keep an eye on them (CSIS: Canadian Security and Intelligence Service).

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...that's a rather disturbing comment.

The idea behind any freedom of speech is that it only counts when you protect speech you don't like. Anyone can support a right when it doesn't bother the majority. The true test of any moral philosophy is when it is extended to cover your enemy as well as your friend.

To quote Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." More dangerous than a world where some people say things like this is a world where people are not allowed to say things like this.

I agree with Baloo. The reason I posted this thread was because the content of the site violently disagreed with me, and I think it is important for us to always be aware of such things.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Constitution should be amended to replace the words "Right" and "Freedom" with the word "Responcibilty".

------------------
The Leader in Offensive Ideology.
De-Value Life Today!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.