Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Reparations come one come all (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Reparations come one come all
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was previously taking part in a conversation about cultural and racial nickname dos and don'ts when it occured to me I haven't seen a discussion on the possibility of the U.S. government paying reporations to African Americans for their enslavement some 135 odd years ago. I personally have no real opinion other the than the dreadful hornets nest that could be dredged up given that reparations become reality.

--------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very sensitive matter.

The current governments have no part in the horrible practices carried out by many nations so many centuries ago. It is perhaps possible to blame the world's present-day problems on past generations, but you can't hold the current ones accountable for crimes committed by their ancestors.

Like you say, "come one, come all". There's no telling how much emotional damage will be caused if the (presumed buried) past is dragged up again. It's like a Pandora's Box... best left unopened.

Some countries have now issued formal apologies and expressed their deepest regrets regarding their history. Isn't that enough? Doesn't financial compensation only serve the wrong purpose? And just how far back should these reparations go? All the way to the Roman Empire, perhaps? A line has to be drawn somewhere, and that's bound to cause great tensions.

Besides, I don't think any amount of money will ever be enough to make up for the dark past.

(On a side note: the states that 'supplied' slaves to the West often profited from the 'merchandise' as well. Don't believe for a second that they have no blood on their hands.)

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: My Publically Displayed Name ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what u said, but how about those countries that does not acknowledge their pass mistake. *cough* Japan *cough*

And it's only like 50 years ago, some of the victims are still pretty much alive. Man, sometime right after watching those damn special on History Television about astrocity carried out by the Japanese, I fell like going out, pick on the first Japanese I see, and kick his ass for my ancestor just for the hell of it.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reparations is unfortunately a very difficult issue to deal with. Mostly in the fact on how far back are we willing to go? For example, I doubt very much Chinese people are demanding reparations from the Mongolians or North Africans from Rome. Obviously some nations should say "sorry" (like Blue Election said, Japan, or the United States to any number of minorities) but should they be forced to pay these people? In some cases it seems obvious. One nation has recently invaded another, only to be kicked out by an international force, obviously, the invading nation isn't going to say, "well gee, sorry we invaded, but heck, we got the land now, its not really worth it to return it right now". My Publicly Displayed Name is absolutely right that a line must be drawn. However, WHERE is it to be drawn. How are we as a people to determine at what point is the deadline so to speak for repearations to be paid?
Let's take the idea of reparations for slavery in the United States and Africa. If we as a nation were to repay each and every slave descendent (which would be a monumental if not expensive task) where would we go from there. Should the native americans receive reparations as well? How about Mexicans for Texas? Hawaiians for Hawaii? the Philippines?
All the land we've taken is technically stolen property, are we really expected to return it 200 years on?

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: USS Vanguard ]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you believe in Kharma, the Japanese certainly paid a lot of it back.

In fact, in the 20th century, most European countries also had a lot of shit happen to them. The US has managed to get of pretty much scot-free though.

This is just an observation, BTW.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of reparations, it's not exactly something that hasn't happened before. The Democratic Congress pushed through -- and President Reagan, I believe (it might've been Bush) signed -- a bill of reparations for the Japanese-Americans interned during World War II.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that's reparations to people who are still alive. Reparations for things like slavery would involve the giving of money to relatives of people who are long dead, who were wronged by people who are also long dead, and would also require that the money be paid by people totally uninvolved. The two concepts have little in common.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strangely enough, Omega is, well, right.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its bound to happen every now and then.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't want to set myself up as being for or against anything here, but I do think we should zero in on this claim:

quote:
The current governments have no part in the horrible practices carried out by many nations so many centuries ago.

The traditional and nearly universal view of government is that it is not something that gets reinvented with every generation. That's why, in the U.S., we are all still bound by laws created 200 years ago. Are governments only responsible for those acts they undertake while the current administration is in place?

Here's a related question: Pope John Paul II has never ordered the widespread persecution and murder of non-Catholics in Spain and elsewhere. But the Church itself apparently felt responsible enough for such acts to apologize for them.

So, to sum up: Where are the boundaries between personal and civic responsibility? Are institutions more than the sum of their members at any one time?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

At the very least, I don't see why an apology for slavery from the Government is getting such harsh criticism.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is, while "just an apology" would be a very, very good thing, in our litigous-mad society that ain't gonna happen. Thanks the lawyers of our green earth, saying "I'm sorry" means "So if you want to sue me for damages, go right ahead, cause you'll win."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was well said Mr. Simon.

I can't say that I really support individual reparations for American slavery per se.

I would however like to see the national and state governments take responisbility for that peculiar institution. I would also like to see them act in a measurable way and set up a nationwide scholarship fund for the descendents of slaves.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Falklands? Have things been settled there? How did they tidy up after the mess?
And how's the Milosevic trial coming along? Have they managed to get him to look at the commitee, without crossing his arms and pouting?

I'd like to see the different states of Africa apologize for their occasional genocides, but that carries a serious "Please sign on my ass after you've kissed it" warning.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does the human race love to continue to bring up horrible things that have come and gone in the past? why? what a waste of time. learn from it yes, but leave it in the past.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps