Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Two Planes have hit the NY World Trade Centre (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Two Planes have hit the NY World Trade Centre
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So we should have bombed Ireland into oblvivion then?

Course not. Your people (the loyalists)were mixed in with the Irish who caused the problem, weren't they? Bombing your own people is unacceptable.

The thing about terrorist camps is that they tend to be located in isolated areas (in fact, I heard some of the IRA trained in the desert, too. Libya, I think). Reducing them to slag is far less hazardous to noncoms.

Of course, the welfare of a country which harbors such groups and gives them safe haven is not something at the top of the priority list.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if these are the independent cells of "The Siege" then no camps.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My people?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"IMHO, and I'm Canadian, you find the two first people that come out to deny the attacks and freakin' demolish everything ... first start with a target that has nothing to do with the military .. make it freakin' personal."

Oh, come on. Now you're just being stupid. Bad enough the logic behind "kill anyone who denys it", but you're actually saying that the US should demolish a target that has nothing to with the military? Like what? A school? A residential area? You want them to start killing innocent civilians?

Do you not see what's wrong with this?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I find most interesting is that the terrorists, whoever they may be, had the oportunity to destroy two of the most fundamental symbols of America - the White House and the Statue of Liberty. Instead they chose nearby targets, a centre of commerce and finance, and a military headquarters. I wonder what this says, apart from their preferral for extreme slaughter (either of the symbolic targets would have only netted a few hundred dead)?

Now, if they were McVeigh-type domestic terrorists, this could be said to be consistent - reverence for American symbols, targetting their hate instead on centres of World Finance and Federal Military power. . .

Or, consider the Taliban: they don't care much for symbols (cf. those Buddhist statues), whereas going for central governmental institutions makes sense given the history of Afghanistan since 1979.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what do they gain if they blow up the Washington Monument? Not a whole heck of a lot, given that its closed half the time and no-one really goes there.

They've struck the business center and military command of the United States. Tens of thousands are probably dead -- (thankfully, the Pentagon attack hit the wing under construction).

They've decided to abandon attacks on "symbolic" structures and go after where it'll hurt people the most.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Sorry, but I just one thing:

"Your people (the loyalists)were mixed in with the Irish who caused the problem, weren't they? Bombing your own people is unacceptable."

So "the loyalists" aren't Irish? You want to tell them that.

Lee and Jeff bring up interesting points. Destroying the Statue of Liberty would have been a hugely symbolic gesture, but would it have had as big of an effect? The world at large is probably more familiar with it.

Basically, symbolic target, against huge casulties.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, semantic error on my part. Of course both sides are "Irish."

"The Irish who caused the problem" = the terrorists.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be noted that after Oklahoma City, almost everyone assumed Arab or Islamic terrorists. Just a note. I mean, until there's evidence, this might have been Quebec Nationalists(no offense to any Quebec Nationalists out there) or Bill Gates asserting his power for all we know. Obviously those aren't true, but just making a point.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note, just after Ok City, they had McVeigh in custody.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But during the crisis, the "breaking news" phase as I like to call it, many people at least on the news just automatically assumed a foreign attack. Remember, nothing like Oklahoma had happened before in American history (a domestic terrorist attack of such magnitude i mean). It would just be logical to assume something else. Of course they quickly figured out who it was really.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Naah, I knew it was domestic. I mean, a Fedeeral building in OK City doesn't MEAN anything to somebody from the Middle East or wherever. But the WTC and the Pentagon? While they might mean something to a domestic, they mean as much or more to an international.

Plus, the magnitude of the undertaking and the coordination is beyond these domestic groups, which are, primarily, composed of idiots.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There's footage of the first airplane hitting the World Trade Center.

Some firemen are standing around, there's the roar of a jet, the camera (probably a camcorder)pans upward, the plane hits the building, and someone yells "holy shit!"

I remember the footage of the second strike, shot from -- I'm assuming -- an apartment, where one woman yells "Holy Jesus Fucking Christ!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a sad horrible day this is.

I'm shocked.
I'm numb.

And while I'm not going to push the point, I still want to make it.

Today has presented the U.S. with clear reasons why the missile shield is a waste of money.

The clear reasons lay in smoking rubble in Washington D.C. and N.Y. City. They represent what a determined foe can deliver without mnissles.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Bet you're glad that wedding was last week -- flying from D.C. to L.A. would put you in the likelyhood of being on a to-be-hijacked plane.

Dropping SDI would also give us the money to put armed Marshals on each flight.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps