Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Two Planes have hit the NY World Trade Centre (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Two Planes have hit the NY World Trade Centre
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I agree. We should put the SDI money into locating and snuffing out every terrorist camp in the world.

Course, maybe we could do that with Star Wars tech, too.

Command Center:

"Sattelite's picked up a People's Front of Judea camp outside of Zoopoopie in Dorkinistan."
"Push the button."

Tiny motors spring to life, propelling a laser-guided, Winnebago-sized chunk of captured asteroidial rock (or launched stony-metal payload) through the atmosphere. It impacts within 1 meter of the target area. Everything within a quarter-mile is obliterated.

"Yup, it's gone now."
"The premier of Dorkinistan just called, he's protesting our action."
"Push the button."

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need to be very careful to ensure that any retaliation we employ is measured and directed entirely at those responsible. This was a carefully planned and expertly executed operation. That gives me hope that we can discover evidence that could lead to the perpetrators. Though we certainly want swift and brutal justice, we can't let that become blind vengeance. That would only validate the horrible events that have occured today. Let's not lose our heads. Otherwise, they've allready won.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bet you're glad that wedding was last week -- flying from D.C. to L.A. would put you in the likelyhood of being on a to-be-hijacked plane.

Jeff, you have no idea how much that thought has brought this tragedy into even starker focus for me.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My earlier reasoniong would also tend to eliminate Saddam from consideration. He'd go for the dymbolic targets. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What puzzles me is why the terrorists didn't have the patience to go for the plum target: a joint session of Congress. Anyone who's read Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor will know why I mention this. You'd get most of the Executive, the Legislature, the Judiciary and senior military, all in one go.

(Sorry if this offends anyone - just thinking like a terrorist for no apparent reason.)

Why not the Statue of Liberty? Harder to hit for one thing. Similarly the Empire State - too obscured by the other high buildings around it.

The Pentagon hit strikes me as being slightly off-target. Should have been able to get the whole thing, not just one wing.

I hope Bush keeps cool and doesn't go for a knee-jerk reaction. Don't get mad, get even. And beware the fury of a patient man...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, this is a good opportunity to eliminate every terrorist group. WHY should we stop with just those responsible for THIS act?

ALL Husnock, everywhere.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that Libya and Iran have pledged to us their support?

I even heard that Iraq gave us their support, but, er, I'm taking that one with a really big grain of salt.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the plane that crashed in PA was en route to the greater DC area. So while Camp David was speculated as a target, so could the Capitol or the White House, two very appealing targets.

And I thought I heard CNN say that Iraq was the only country that had actively congratulated the bombers rather than condemned it.

Libya's condemnation doesn't actually strike me as all that out of place, though. Gaddafi's been trying for a while to be seen as more of a nice guy, though history says otherwise.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we'll just overlook the cheering crowds applauding the bombings in Tripoli, where nothing happens without Gadhafi's approval. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm saying that ... THEY, whoever 'THEY' may be, attacked a civilian target ... I think they should get a taste of that too !

THEY attacked non-military targets, USING non-military airplanes and vehicles!!!!!! CIVILIANS were killed... NON-military buildings were destroyed in the attack...

Fight fire with fire. Attacking a military installation is the BONAFIDE US retaliatory strike.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I've decided NOT to calm down. Calm breeds complacency. I'm going to stay enraged until this is seen through.

My uncle was in the Army's Antiterrorism branch just a little before the time of the bombing of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon.

The only way to stop terrorism is to hit them back, ten times as hard as they hit you, with as much disregard to their lives as they've shown yours, so that the next batch knows not to make the effort.

This is why hijackings were so rare in the old USSR... because the USSR would send in Spetznaz (their elite special forces) at the very LEAST, and everybody connected with the operation would die.

Once the connection to a group or individual is established, an ultimatum should be delivered to the nation harboring them: You have 24 hours to deliver them up to us, or we vaporize one of your cities every hour after that until you do.

Once the individual/group in question is in custody... strip him/them naked and drop him/them off in lower Manhattan. The residents should be able to take it from there.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, thanks a lot! Now I can forget that transsibirian train heist I was doing next friday.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone answer me this question please?

Does the UN have a branch called "United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition" (UNATCO)? You know, like in Deus Ex. If not - why not? and if so, why they hell do they deal with the terrorists once and for all!?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm saying that ... THEY, whoever 'THEY' may be, attacked a civilian target ... I think they should get a taste of that too !"

"Once the connection to a group or individual is established, an ultimatum should be delivered to the nation harboring them: You have 24 hours to deliver them up to us, or we vaporize one of your cities every hour after that until you do."

I don't know how you people can look at yourselves in the mirror. You're exactly the same as the people you claim are so horrible. How can you condemn their killing of civilians, while praising the same actions if they were taken by us? You're disgusting.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean "why don't they deal with..." ?

Well, for one thing, it's not like your average terrorist runs around with a big sign on his back that say: "Terrorist: Please Shoot Me"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps