Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Two Planes have hit the NY World Trade Centre (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Two Planes have hit the NY World Trade Centre
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
according to the NY Times, Iraq most definately did NOT condemn the attack. In fact I think they said something along the lines of they "deserved" it for all the destruction the US and its allies had caused in Iraq.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in my English classroom yesterday when I heard someone yell in the hallway "Holy Shit! Planes just hit the Twin Towers!" First I thought it was stupid early Senior Prank. However then the Princible told us in about 15 minutes that the Twin Towers was hit by two planes. Now I was shocked thinking those towers I loved so much was down. Next emotion that came was anger, I wanted the US to nuke the assholes where they were. Fuck the treaties, fuck the civilians. For all I cared a nation harboring terrorists is as bad as the terrorists themselves. Later I calmed down and realized that any attack like that could make the leader a maryter(sp).

What I think is that 1. We should rebuild the Twin Towers and with a third one slightly taller than the two making it look like NYC is giving the world the finger. 2. We send an entire shipment of Windex to every country with a note saying "You will need this after we bomb your desert into glass." 3. Cut off all Oil saying "We will call you to resume transportation of Oil to this country, however only if you bring us all 25,000 terrorists, all of them."

This will give the Middle East something to think about. Rebuilding the Twin Towers will say "whatever you do you will not break this nation". Sending Windex is a threat meant to demoralize the 25,000 terrorists to the point that a good portion could leave. Cutting off oil will make the countries living off the money from us buying oil will make them desperate to go get those terrorists and give them to us.

This is how I feel.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We send an entire shipment of Windex to every country with a note saying "You will need this after we bomb your desert into glass."

WTF?!

Are you stupid enough to think that bombing the entire Middle East is the answer? Yeah, don't answer that, you .sig speaks volumes for your intelligence level.

The acceptable military response (IMHO), assuming a country is found to have harbored the terrorist groups:

-Bomb all military targets (training facilities, storage depots, barracks, bases, air strips)

-Bomb government sites when the occupance will be low to limit casualties.

-Surgical strikes against residences of key government leaders and terrorist cell leaders. Either use missiles, or special forces.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
25,000 terrorists

And where'd you get that number? Jesus, you're as bad as a Darkstar.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

First of all, responding to something I read in the Officer's Lounge thread, religious fanaticism and killing people because of it is not unheard of in the US, and specifically in Christianity.

2. Why does terrorism happen? Because some people hate us. Why do they hate us? Bombings, commercial exploitation, and probably some stuff I haven't heard of or don't remember.

3. What does a bombing produce? Are they gonna say, "oops, sorry, we won't hate you anymore"? Of course not, just the opposite. When did revenge stop anything? It'll only come back to us sooner or later.

4. It's the leaders of Afghanistan who's harboring this Ben-whatever guy. From what I've heard, these leaders do not have popular support, so the general public probably wants him OUT of their country. Now are we going to bomb civilians who are against our possible enemy?

5. What if there's no country behind this operation? Who are we bombing then?

6. Right now, lots of countries are on our side, countries that fight against terrorism themselves. We can either take this unity and work to minimize reasons for terrorism, or we can start bombing people and lose respect and support from other countries. Give the people who want retribution a figurehead, maybe this Ben-whatever guy, then throw him in a silly trial and do whatever follows.

7. Don't give me the if-we-don't-kill-em-all-every-other-group-is-gonna-give-their-shot argument. It's been used since WWII, and it got us the Cold War, Korean War, and Vietnam War. After all, we couldn't let them commies get away with it.

8. For all you people who claim to possess logic, USE IT.

Thank you and good night.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said about sending in bombs with Windex. All I said was that after WE BOMB them they will need Windex to clean their new glass desert. Jesus Christ, you all should calm down it was stupid joke!

As for 25,000, that number I came out of my ass. I made that number up to exagerate how deseperate those iddle East countries will have to get to get their oil back. Agian calm down people.

Last but not least, I am not as bad as DarkStar nor will I ever be. Ok IGotBeer, he made up numbers and stuck by them. I don't.

Prove me wrong that there more or less than 25,000 terrorists. Ok? Now calm down.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try to refrain from the "let's bomb the middle east" line of thought. Many, if not nearly all Islamic nations have condemned the attack (Iraq excepted of course). We have many close allies in the Middle East: Turkey and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia. Hell, even IRAN for chrissake is offering condolences. It just goes to show you that even former enemies can still feel sorrow for the attacks.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
I never said about sending in bombs with Windex. All I said was that after WE BOMB them they will need Windex to clean their new glass desert. Jesus Christ, you all should calm down it was stupid joke!

It was a very stupid joke. Attitude like yours will ... well, it's not very comfortable to imagine.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<MODSPEAK>Everyone grow up. Yes, we're all pissed off. Let's not caustically slag one another.</MODSPEAK>

The comments about oil strike me as odd for three reasons:

1)As anyone with the IQ of a Dr. Scholl's insole could tell you, the Middle East has the oil and we need it. Therefore, in matters of oil, it is the Middle East that holds the cards. Or are you suggesting we stop importing Middle East oil to make some sort of statement? Now there's a brilliant idea.

2)OPEC has already taken the step of promising to not price-gouge. Why are we suddenly pointing at the oil issue as a potential battlefield, when the mainly Arab states in OPEC have already taken a commendable step?

3)In case anyone hasn't noticed, this incident has had the positive effect of once again bringing together much of the moderate Arab world into partnership with the West in condemnation of a common enemy. Let's build on this.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On choice of weapon:

I think nukes are unlikely to be used. Yes, they are nicely destructive, but fallout is a bitch. I'm not sure what the wind is like in Afghanistan, but you can bet it would carry fallout to somewhere you didn't want it.

The Russians, of course, have already demonstrated the "clean nuke." It's called the thermobaric (lit. heat-pressure) bomb, also known as the fuel-air explosive. When it goes off, the surrounding air is sucked in with such force that it rips eyes out of sockets. The following blast wave and fireball rival a tactical (slight oxymoron if you ask me) nuclear yield.

On preventing future attacks:

Well, means, motive and opportunity.

I think we can agree that means and opportunity are so easy to come by in a free, industrial nation that nothing can be done.

Motive is a different matter entirely.

Presumably, the US govt. would hope that any counterstrike would serve to deter future attacks by its sheer power. Well, maybe. Personally, I think there's a huge risk of martyring those killed in the revenge strike.

There's also the matter of jealousy of America's status. That won't change.

Although it would be simplistic to say that this attack is entirely due to Arab-Israeli tensions, there's a lot to that angle. See the Palestinians dancing in the streets? Not surprising considering that the Palestinians have been consistently fucked over by five decades of US policy in the Middle East. Americans of all people should understand that one can oppress a people so far, but they will eventually snap.

I'm not saying that the Palestinians are behind this, just that Arab anti-American sentiment is, to a great degree, justified.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Yes we do need the oil from the Middle East, but no that we can't survive without it. In fact the only reason why we can't pump oil from our own country and Mexico (they have far more oil) is that it would cost more than to ship oil from the Middle East.

Also we have been spoiled in getting what we want casually. We as Americans scream about gas going up 10 cents from 1.30 to a 1.40 while other countries pay 5.00 sometimes 7.00 for gas. Their solution? Don't drive as much. drive only when you need to.

About the Windex joke, no I don't think in any ugly way. The only person I can think of that is thinking of anything stupid would be the person who thought I was thinking stupid. My stupid joke was a joke thats all. It was meant to lighten up the mood.

I am for one not ashamed that I feel almost nothing right now about the attack. For one I got used to the idea that the US is vulnerable, and the lives that were lost will be paid for in time. Bush is the one person you don't want to give a reason to bomb a country. Also being edgy and angry is exactly what the terrorists want, what they don't want is a country full of people dead set in getting every single terrorist in the world. A cold, icy, non-emotional country.

Thats my opinion anyway. Again calm down people! 3 days already and everyone is at everyone's throuts.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
A cold, icy, non-emotional country.

Considering the number of people on this board talking about fragging innocent civilians (and then sending them lots of windex afterwards), I think its pretty fair to say we're not at that point.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This aspect of Americans is why a lot of countries hate us. North America and industrialized Europe (i.e. 'The Western World)is about 10% of the worlds population, but do you know how much of the world's wealth and resources we use (and how much of those we waste?)

I get so pissed off every time i see someone from the rich east side of my city get into an SUV to go to CVS to buy themselves a pack of smokes and some foot cream. 90% percent of te world doesnt have this option and i think more people would realize this.

And as a population was are easy to sway, so we should be careful about following our gut when our media is controlled the way it is.
Example: last year, the price of gas here (In R.I.) was $1.00 to $1.10.. then it went up to $1.70-$1.80.. we were outraged, but continued to waste it. Then the price came down to $1.40-$1.50 after we made a point of getting all our politicians on the isssue. We are all enthused gas is so cheap.

But wait.. they just raised the price $0.40 and they just made us feel happy about it? Makes me feel stupid...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Thats whwat we should be instead of screaming at each other or saying that we should nuke the entire Middle East. For me right now everyone in the world excluding a couple is behind us in finding these terrorists. I think that we should concentrate on that instead of pissing each other off.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Captain Mike,

If prices were $1, then raised to $1.80, then dropped to $1.40, everyone with half a brain can see that the prices dropped by forty-cents, not increased by forty-cents. If it had increased an additional forty-cents, it would be $2.20.

Matrix, you know, I thought for half a second you'd removed your "this makes no sense whatsoever" .sig. You didn't. Please reconsider.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps