Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Pearl Harbor? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pearl Harbor?
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a number of news agencies compare today as the "worst act of Terrorism since Pearl Harbor". Now in my humble opion the two events have but one thing in common. People die. Two if you count the fact that airplanes were involved. Beyond that, I fail to grasp the link.

Pearl Harbor was a tactical military strike, one of genius even. The targets were military ships and planes, the attackers were military aircraft. This was an act of war between two distinct nation-states. A surprise attack, yes, but hardly an act of terrorism.

TODAY, well i don't even feel like I have to repeat today's events. But the fact remains, I have a real problem comparing it with Pearl Harbor.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A day of infamy.

Mostly just in the shock, I think. They're not actually comparing the two because of the similarities in how the attacks were carried out, but because of the complete shock they've caused.

Another important difference, is that the Japanese at least attacked legitimate, military targets.

Those responsible for these attacks focused their efforts on civilian targets -- even the Pentagon, which employs a large number of civilian employees.

But, yes, I understand the comparison. Before Pearl Harbor, we Americans were very complacent ... divided, also, over the War on either sides. After the attack, like after this attack, we are united (anyone else see the Congress singing "America the Beautiful?") IMHO, the comparison is VERY valid.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with that. The shock caused are VERY similar in both instances. HOWEVER, i disagreed with the words, "Worse act of terrorism since Pearl Harbor" (which were the exact words several news sources have used) in which the implied comparison is that Pearl Harbor was also an act of terrorism and thus the two events were equivalent in how they were carried out. That is something I don't agree with.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In ways, the Japanese attack was one of terror. It was intended to terrorize the American people, to keep the US out of a war with Japan. Because war hadn't yet been declared by the Japanese on the U.S., it was also particularly cowardly (although, in all fairness to the Japanese, it was their incompetance of their Embassy Staff which led to that).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

Well, yes it was of terror, but not quite the samet thing as attacking a civilian office building. More along the lines of look how powerful militarily we are, you'd better not attack us sort of thing. I really shouldn't make any broad statements on Pearl Harbor as I'm no expert, but having studied the attack(on the history channel no less) that was the conclusion i came to. not necessarily correct.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. This was an order of magnitude WORSE than Pearl Harbor.

Therefore, our response, once we have uncovered those responsible, should be an order of magnitude more than what we visited upon the Japanese.

Picture that, if you want a good nightmare tonight.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...If, in fact, there was a nation-state behind the attack. The point being that right now we don't know. It could have been an act of domestic terrorism and we don't know. Do we nuke Topeka? In Pearl Harbor we had an admittedly clever (and nearly successful) preemptive strike by the aggressive military of a definable empire to cripple American military capacity in the Pacific. The terror was a secondary effect of the strategic element of surprise.

By contrast, today's attack was pure terror directed at economic and military command targets. This attack was obviously intended as a message to the leaders and population of the United States that we are indeed vulnerable. The war-capacity-type strategic impact would be minimal. Whomever was responsible must have had remarkable resources to put towards this operation. Several skilled pilots, and effective crowd control personnel capable of bypassing security and willing to forfeit their lives would need to train extensively to put a plan like this into effect. This isn't strapping a bomb onto a fanatic and setting them loose in a crowd. There are a limited number of potential suspect organizations who would have the resources and professionalism to execute this attack. We need to figure out who has actually done it. Then and only then can we talk about appropriate and measured retribution.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Pearl Harbour a work of genius? I'm not so sure. For one thing you had the buggeration factor - the carriers were out at sea - and another, they were too clever for their own good, by leaving the tank farms intact under the assumption they'd be invading in about two days and wanted the fuel for themselves. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That & the fact that attacking the USA was downright suicide to begin with. I wonder which idiot had the first spark of that thought.
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pearl Harbor has two sides , the Military side and the Symbolic side.

This WTC Attack is the Pearl Harbor for this generation because of the symbolism involved and because of how the American people reacted.

Pearl Harbor brought the world war into Americas backyard , showed America that this WAS theyre war , that Hitler and the Empire of Japan would nto stop with Europe and Asia and that they must be stopped. Back in 1941 they attacked our Navy , a symbol of the reach of this country.

The World Trade Center attack has brought the horror that Isreal and the West Bank face almost on a weekly basis. And not only was the WTC hit , but the Pentagon , the seat of American Military might now has a huge gash in its side.

These attacks are also similar in the reaction they caused among the American people.

They inspired outrage , fear , a lust for vengence and a new a awareness , both for our world neighbors and our countrymen.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's no worse place to piss people off than New Yorkers....
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
That & the fact that attacking the USA was downright suicide to begin with

Well, the Japanese wanted to hit us hard enough that we'd be scared of our body-count if we went to war with them. Their goal wasn't to provoke us into war, but to keep us out of war with them.

Er. Obviously, it failed.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It always will, too.
Ask Metallica.

"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

"Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail
Once you provoke her, rattling of her tail
Never begins it, never, but once engaged...
Never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage

Don't tread on me

So be it
Threaten no more
To secure peace is to prepare for war
So be it
Settle the score
Touch me again for the words that you'll hear evermore...

Don't tread on me

Love it or live it, she with the deadly bite
Quick is the blue tongue, forked as lighting strike
Shining with brightness, always on surveillance
The eyes, they never close, emblem of vigilance

Don't tread on me

So be it
Threaten no more
So be it
Settle the score

Don't tread on me

So be it
Threaten no more

Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail
Once you provoke her, rattling on her tail

So be it
Threaten no more
So be it
Settle the score

Don't tread on me"

That pretty much sums up the attitude I've been hearing.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh fine, I says to myself. I won't make fun of Metallica. Or even Poison. What about this, though?

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then I go and forget to add a this! Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything appropriate.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps