Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » And so it begins. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And so it begins.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....what? This is like the 23rd jihad we have going against us? Stand in line, muthafuckas.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a lower functionary who made that announcement... which he didn't have the authority to do. Only the Afchan Council of Taliban leaders can make such a declaration, and they won't meet until Wednesday or later.

I'm still not ruling out the restricted use of Mr. Neutron.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using nuclear weapons would be a serious mistake. The U.S. would rapidly loose international support if it used a nuke against Kabul. And besides, there is little worth using a nuclear weapon against in Afghanistan.

As for actual neutron bombs, I don't think we posses any in active inventory, save a few test models. That and we'd get blasted for human rights by using one.

--------------------
"Sometimes I think I might like to be evil and all, but that's not the way to think, 'ya know?"
-AA, from IRC on March 3rd, 2001

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may resist the urge to question First's sanity for advocating nuclear war, a quick question: Wouldn't one normally use a neutron bomb rather than a conventional nuke only if there was infrastructure worth preserving? ie, In any country except Afghanistan?

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Afghanistan Nuked: Looks No Different."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That and the fact that you would kill a good number of totally innocent people. Consider that, if you would.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, all the Monty Python fans in here, and nobody remembers Mr. Neutron (Graham Chapman), the most powerful man on Earth? Paramour of Mrs. S.C.U.M. (Terry Jones)?

I KNEW I could getcha on that one...

But since you've brought up the Neutron Bomb, the idea behind it is that because it irradiates a much smaller area, there is less likelihood of fallout affecting neighboring countries.

Still, I wouldn't use it in this situation. FAE and similar weapons should do nicely.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a 4th-season episode sketch, the ones without John Cleese. They sucked, and no-one watched them. Except you, it seems. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.