Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I need story ideas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need story ideas
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this should be in DaC. Not sure. It'd certainly be the first time I'd post there.

Anyway, some background. I participate in a church youth program called Lads to Leaders. (Or, more politically correct, Leaders/Leaderettes.) It's quite a large operation. We have conventions in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Florida, with a total participation of about 12,000 people. Generally, it's a competition. There are any number of categories, ranging from memorizing scripture, to public speaking, to song leading, to various art contests. However, the one I'm usually most interested in is the puppet contest. You put on a puppet show at the convention, and get rated in various categories. Trust me, it's more fun than it may sound. We actually won our division last year. Never happened before.

Anyway, the puppet show, along with most of the rest of the competitions, has to be in accord with the theme for the year. My problem is this: the theme this year is "God and Country." What in the name of Dominar Rygel the Sixteenth of Hyneria am I supposed to do with THAT?! I mean, last year it was "Family". We just did a nice little modern prodigal son skit, with CD-burned sound effects (by yours truely), and it worked out great. But... GOD AND COUNTRY!? I've been trying to come up with something to use for that for the last four or five months, off and on, and I still have no clue whatsoever. What story could we possibly tell that would be related to that? I know, religion isn't the field of more than two of you, but a number of you write. Surely you can help me out for an idea.

I'd like it to be something that you can relate to. I don't want to use God as a character, or Satan, or an angel, or anything like that. Just humans. Something I could use as an ep of some TV sitcom/drama. How can the concept of God and Country interact with modern, everyday life?

One idea that's occured to me is to do a Twilight Zone parody. Get a puppet that looks like Rod Serling, and set the thing in some alternate universe where the government doesn't allow free practice of religion. Thing is, I can't come up with an acceptable resolution to that. I'd really like something that is related to reality somehow.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, all.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A theme park where dinosaurs come to life through advanced cloning tecniques.

Because it's humans playing god. And they are, er, in a country.

On a side note, I'm confused by:

"Or, more politically correct, Leaders/Leaderettes."

There's a female form of the word leaders? Since when? Are we now going to have high school teacherettes? Are the girls from Biz now singerettes? Is Tim a manette?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I participate in a church youth program called Lads to Leaders. (Or, more politically correct, Leaders/Leaderettes.)"

So, erm... Who decides who gets to be which? And, more to the point, who pays for the operations?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest a fun vignette on how good, moral Christian folk landed on the shores of this here continent & then proceeded to slaughter the backwards savage heathens in the name of God to form this here nation.

Or even better, something like the whole Lady Jane Grey deal. Those wacky Catholic & Protestant monarchists! Oh, how they make us laugh...

:::rears horse up & draws sword in true Stonewall Jackson fashion::: Flameboard HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Generally, it's a competition."

Why am I not surprised?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait.

God. Country. Deep South.

"The Strom & Jesse Show."

Make them like Waldorf & Statler on "The Muppet Show," except instead of being scathingly funny to the acts, they're scathingly Christian & whine about how the "moral fiber" of the nation is being eroded away by various "bad" groups.

Potential targets include women, rock stars, blacks, Jews, Muslims, Asians, Canadians, & Communists.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, after all this time here, you still know nothing about Christianity?

As for the leaderettes thing, I didn't name the program, and personally, I think it's kind of dumb to create a feminine form of a neuter word, but it's not my division.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I'm going to have to back up Omega here. Shik obviously knows nothing about Christianity if he left "homosexuals" off that list of his. :)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Member # 343

I know PLENTY about Christianity, sucka. I just have met all of about EIGHT Christians in my life. All the rest have been selfrightous preachoids & those who would use literalism to bend others to their will. Since this train of thought is becoming more & more rampant, & because fear spreads so well....

Rule #1 of show business: "KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE."

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, out of all the "christians" I have met in real life (or at least those who think that there is a god), only a tiny tiny percentage have been like that. Most have been like, well, me.

Second, this isn't the place for religion bashing, okay? He asked a favour. Either help him, comment on it, or make a funny comment about Tim's trousers. If you want to slag off religion, go to the Flameboard.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

Liam as the voice of reason. God help us all.

Ten replies now and still no ideas. And I thought you people were creative!

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

I'm not slagging religion at all. :::thinks::: OK, yes I am. I always do. I'm not slagging SPIRITUALITY. "Religion" is a bad thing. But... :::waves hand:::? That's neither here nor there.

The only way you're going to get "God & country" to mix is to be nasty, do revisionist history, or propagandize. It's a VERY annoying combination. It usually comes down to the concept of "Our deity can kick your deity's ass, so we as a group shall finish drinking this here mead, after which we shall proceed to run over THERE & beat the SHIT out of THOSE guys."

You could try the Crusades...or...OR!! YES!

OK, here's what you do. Far future. Mankind's in space. Set up Christian refugees trying to colonize their own world. Make it all "Jewish exodus to Israel"-like.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't think it might lend itself to Omega's particular audience, that Muppet Show idea is sheer brilliance.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for the leaderettes thing, I didn't name the program, and personally, I think it's kind of dumb to create a feminine form of a neuter word, but it's not my division."

Well, okay. But I'm more worried about the young boys who are going to walk in w/ one set of genitals, and walk out w/ another...

Omega
Member # 91

Hmm... perhaps you have a point. "La(d/sse)s to Leader(ettes)", perhaps?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps