Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I need story ideas (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need story ideas
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At which point a Daily Mail writer shouts out "It's political correctness gone mad!"

And we tell him to shut up for being a racist homophobic bastard.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q: What did Cinderella do when she got to the ball?

A: She choked.

Oh,it's hilarious.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Crusades might just work. The US regularly sends off expeditions to the Middle East which accomplish fuck all. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: "Ball"? Did Prince Charming join Omega's program, but escape halfway through the operation?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, since using the plural ruins the joke

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well according to Fulk of Chartres, you brits were abundantly naughty in the years BT (Before Teatime).

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/fulk2.html

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: G.K Nimrod ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe this is the first normal post in this forum since last Tuesday. Someone has to do it.

Well, I finally came up with a story idea. It is as follows:

--------------------

A young man is in prison, there to await arraignment. He tells his parents that he has no idea why he's there, that he didn't do it, and that he plans to plead "not guilty". He insists to his fellow prisoner the same things. His GF visits him. We discover that she was apparently involved in the same crime that he was, when he promises not to rat on her. So he does know what he's done, but we still don't. They get into an argument over whether he should plead "not guilty", because, she says, if he knows he commited a crime, he should tell the truth. He questions what good it could possibly do for him to go to prison. She leaves, though not angrily. The boy thinks. About what she's said.

Eventually, the time comes for his arraignment. As he's leaving the cell, he finally tells his friend what he is in prison for: he's a Christian. He says that he has to tell the truth, because it's the right thing to do. He goes before the judge, and pleads guilty, to everyone's (or no one's) surprise. When he's taken back to his cell, the prisoner asks him what happened that he's back so soon. Our boy tells the prisoner what happened, and why he did what he did, even though he doesn't understand why he's in prison. The prisoner asks the boy to teach him about "this Christ guy". Boy complies. Fade to exit.

--------------------

Now, there is no comedy in this plot AT ALL, which is a first for our group. Straight-out drama. Even though our group's comedy usually comes in the mannerisms and dress of the puppets themselves, I think that humor of any kind might be out of place in a script like this. Keep in mind, of course, that this is a bare-bones outline. I have some detail in mind. For one, you never see the other prisoner. He's on the other side of the cell wall. I thought it'd be an interesting effect to make one character a disembodied voice. The plot lends itself to simplicity: no scenery changes in mid-skit, no complex sound effects, nothing. Personally, I like it. Thanks, guys. I couldn't have done it without you.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
As he's leaving the cell, he finally tells his friend what he is in prison for: he's a Christian.

Well, given the persecution Muslims are going through following what happened in New York, people might wonder "where the fuck are Christians persecuted? Why does he feel the need to illustrate Christian persecutions when Muslims are being persecuted for having the same religion as the alleged WTC/Pentagon terrorists?"

Just a thought.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
given the persecution Muslims are going through following what happened in New York

Considering that this skit won't be performed for the judges for another eight months, I doubt that whatever relatively minor amount of persecution that's going on will still be going on then.

people might wonder "where the fuck are Christians persecuted?"

China. Half the middle-east. And was it Pakistan or Afganistan that was holding some Christians for execution? Heck, even this board isn't much fun at times, let me tell you. This world is not nearly as tolerant as you may think.

Why does he feel the need to illustrate Christian persecutions

That's not the entire purpose of the skit. It's also intended to get people to think about the verse that says you have to obey the law, insofar as it doesn't conflict with God's law.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
I doubt that whatever relatively minor amount of persecution that's going on will still be going on then.

I'd hardly call them "minor" amounts of persecution.

Mosques are being vandalized. An Indian Hindu was shot and killed either Saturday or Sunday. Many stores owned by people of Middle East descent recieving hundreds of death threats. A Subway franchie down the road from me has been closed since Tuesday: the owner is from the Middle East. My friend on the Balt. Country Police Department (same one I did the ride along with) said they recieved two-hundred death threats by noon on Tuesday alone. Somehow, I'd be surprised if they're the only ones.

quote:
China. Half the middle-east. And was it Pakistan or Afganistan that was holding some Christians for execution? Heck, even this board isn't much fun at times, let me tell you. This world is not nearly as tolerant as you may think.

I don't think they were holding them for executions because they were Christians, but because they were going around supplying arms to their enemies. There's a difference. And maybe if Christians hadn't gone around trying to convert native populations (and often using force to subjegate before or after), people wouldn't feel so hostile towards Christians. The Muslim religion, for one, preaches that Jews and Christians are to be tolerated as faiths which worship the same God as Muslims ... just worship him the wrong way.

quote:
That's not the entire purpose of the skit. It's also intended to get people to think about the verse that says you have to obey the law, insofar as it doesn't conflict with God's law.

Explain. Because it sounds to me the only reason he is in jail is because he's a Christian.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops! You slipped on the religious flame banana peel!

Under normal circumstances, such activities would earn the participants a trip to Mars. But as I have (as of yet) not been granted the power to send people to Mars, I'll have to stick to the next best thing.

Omega, feel free to open a new thread in the Lounge devoted to your project.

Omega
Member # 91

I am no longer touching this thread, as its original purpose has been compromised by others.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I wasn't aware asking for clarification on points of the plot was corrupting its purpose.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but you could try being polite about it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your idea, Omega, but perhaps a Roman setting would place it in a more plausible context. That probably nixes the phone thing, but it makes his "criminality" so much more present.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps