Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Political Correctness Gets a Kick In The Pants (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Political Correctness Gets a Kick In The Pants
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,34507,00.html

I'm taking this time to return to the flameboard. Seeing Jay and Omega go at it in a polite a way as possible is quite humorous, and leaves hope.

Anyways, Read the above link, tell us what you think. Personally, I find it scary that most of the problems we face today seem to be solved after such a tragic event.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a Free Speech/First Ammendment issue.

If someone walked into a building wearing an Afghanistan flag ... or burned an American flag in these troubled times ... well, let's just hope people would be as considerate of them (which, they probably would not).

Speaking of which: a vote.

My Jeep Wrangler has grill guards. Currently, they're painted yellow. I am considering painting them individually red, white, and blue (which would give me, essentially, two of two colors and three of the third color, being that there are 7 grills). Thoughts?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much as I don't doubt your intentions, it would look terribly tacky.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point. I'll have to redouble my efforts to find a car flag.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would also make you look like a hick (however you spell it).

Er, I think. I'm trying to think up a US equivalent here.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No, you spelled it right.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you've hijacked my thread, I hope you don't have a skyscraper in mind as a target

And Political Correctness has everything to do wih free speech.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't, sorry. I just don't see how anyone's flag on a shirt can be PC or un-PC. Thus, a 1st Ammendment issue.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm taking this time to return to the flameboard. Seeing Jay and Omega go at it in a polite a way as possible is quite humorous, and leaves hope.

Thank you, thank you very much.

I may have som other comments but I haven't read the link yet.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I'm missing the point, here, but how does wearing or otherwise displaying an American flag offend? I mean, maybe if I had one of those little tiny ones on and was using it as a loincloth to the exclusion of other articles of clothing, I could see that (though no one would want to). Seriously, though, how could this silent display of patriotism offend people?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because not everyone is US American?

Personally, I'm not offended, but I'm rather disgusted. Nationalism == a bad thing, especially at a time like this...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the line between patriotism and nationalism is a very thin one.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't even know that there was a line...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Could you explain why it is a bad thing?

--------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If someone walked into a building wearing an Afghanistan flag ... or burned an American flag in these troubled times ... well, let's just hope people would be as considerate of them (which, they probably would not).

Somehow I doubt most Americans if not most everyone would be able to identify Afghanistan's flag.

-----

Nationalism
- Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
-The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
-Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.

Patriotism
- Love of and devotion to one's country.

Patriotism is good where as nationalism is self destructive in the case of such a multi-cultural nation as the US.

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps