Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Political Correctness Gets a Kick In The Pants (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Political Correctness Gets a Kick In The Pants
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless they've changed it recently (which they do), I'd recognize it...

Explain why nationalism is a bad thing? Because it serves no useful purpose, and serves many bad purposes.

If people would quit thinking in terms of nations and borders, we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we're having/are about to have. Look at how many people are screaming to nuke Afghanistan. Why? What did Afghanistan ever do to us? It's nothing but a quarter-million square miles of desert and mountains. Maybe we need to do something about the terrorists who happen to be in Afghanistan. Maybe we need to do something about the government that happens to control Afghanistan. But Afghanistan as a whole hasn't done anything to us. Except that people won't think in those terms. They automatically assume that, since someone in Afghanistan attacked people in the US, Afghanistan itself has attacked the US itself. This isn't true.

What needs to happen is an effort by any group that feels offended and/or threatened by the recent attacks (not just the US) against the people who made those attacks and their supporters (not simply the entire country of Afghanistan). But nationalism keeps people from realizing that.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Japan didn't attack Pearl Harbor. Agents of the Japanese government (namely their Navy) attacked Pearl Harbor.

Afghanistan didn't attack the WTC, agents of the Afghanistan government (namely bin Laden) attacked the WTC.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, what a beautiful analogy! Too bad the Taliban aren't really the Afghani government, and bin Laden isn't really an agent of the Taliban.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention there is new evidence linking Muhammed Atta (SP) the main suspect in the hijackings to a "high ranking Iraqi Official"

This isnt as easy as Pearl Harbor was , atleast those bombs had a return address.

We need to be 100% sure that the Taliban and Bin Laden were involved before doing anything we could live to regret.

On a side note , if Iraq does turn out to be involved , god help Saddam cause I'm sure this Bush isnt gonna stop at the gates of Bagdhad , indeed god help us all.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps