Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bin Laden's Brothers and Irony

Author Topic: Bin Laden's Brothers and Irony
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago, I made a statement that Osama Bin Laden's Brother was once a business partner in the companies that George W. once owned.

I have heard that bit is true. There is no slight intended toward Bush or anything, but some real irony is involved.

The first is from reports stating that many of Osama's relatives are living here in the States, some even have American Citizenship. This part is confirmed true as there are reports that these relatives have packed up and fled to Saudi Arabia on a private jet to avoid the backlash that has occurred since the WTC tragedy. Reports are also in that these relatives have been very cooperative towards the FBI and CIA and are not considered suspects in Osama's terrorist network.

The Second irony is that Osama bin Laden was actually disowned by his ENTIRE family for his actions towards the Americans. Talk about a black sheep ruining the family name.

Some elements of this information can be considered conjectural, as I am yet to locate some articles relating to this (as I am presently unable to locate at the time).

Comments?

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's not really a whole lot to comment on. Bin Laden is from a very big and very wealthy Saudi family. The last report I remember said that he was one of 52 children in the family. With that number of people in the family, I expect that some important and famous people in the world may have a connection to Osama bin Laden (and by connection, I am using that word in the loosest possible translation).

Also, his family did disown him and feels shame for the actions he has done. I think it was the second or third day after the attacks that a local reporter here interviewed one of the close friends and business associates of one of the bin Laden family. He said that the entire family is in pain knowing that he is the source of so much death and destruction.

Thinking about this kind of reminds of TNG's "Sins of the Father." Except in this case, it's a brother and son that is actually committing the sins. I feel for the family as I do everyone else affected by this.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sig: Actually, he was disowned around the time of the Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I thought he was disowned much earlier than that, around 1991. I guess I've seen way too news specials, special reports, documentaries, and news coverage the past two weeks to keep much of anything straight.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it goes without saying, he's not in the will anymore. Pity, it'd be nice to have one place we actually knew where he was. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think his persona non grata status comes more from his stated goal to overthrow the Saudi government.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There is no slight intended toward Bush or anything, but some real irony is involved."

I think the irony quota was already filled by the fact that the US was the country that trained ObL and gave him and the Taliban their wepaons and helped them take over Afghanistan.

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad he doesn't have a reason to see his family... it would have been an excellent kill.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps