Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » BBC Radio 1 joins the Sh*t list

Author Topic: BBC Radio 1 joins the Sh*t list
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may have heard of the discovery of seveal planets constituting the stellar system of Upsilon Andromedae. Well I learned of this find via the "news" on Radio One. After hailing it as the "first planet ouside our solar system to be found"
(untrue - tis the first multi-planet system seen) they launched into two minutes vox populii, involving London cabbies being asked if they now feared invasion by "bug eyed monsters out for a bit of argie-bargie".

After all this made me queasy, they launched seamlessly into the truly offensive. Appaently some UK mag has run a poll of Cult TV, including the sole category the radio was interested in: "Sexiest Female".

The fact that it was actually "Buffy" Sarah Gellar who won didn't stp them launching into a slagging of Voyager. Some learned fellow responded to Jeri Ryan with "Cor! Where's me spray paint?!" and "She's made another boring old Star Trek much more interesting!" (wink, wink) [sic... ]
The reporter concluded that it was all for "slightly sad men", and then they mercifully stopped playing the Voyager theme as backing to this pisstake.

This ain't the kind of "news" I wanna hear. I won't deny I'm a card-carrying member of the Jeri Ryan Official Droolers, but once more the Beeb has insulted me highly develpd intelligence.

Ergo, THEY GO ON THE LIST!

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

[This message was edited by Montgomery on April 15, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree thoroughly, although I'd put SMG above Jeri Ryan. And throw the BBC on their for the shameful way they cut The Simpsons, Buffy, etc.

Who else is on the list?

------------------
'My rigid grill structure...'
-Dinobot

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's not the first multi-planet system, either. That honor belongs to three planets found circling around a pulsar by a Penn State astronomer, a couple years ago.

Is Upsilon Andromedae a G-type star? In that case, it could be that they're the first multi-planet system around a sunlike star...

However, the announcement and resulting stupidity does indicate that your BBC1 deserves a head-butting.

*grabs a BBC rep*
*head-butts them*

ahh, better.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Proxy servers and the Helicon Cable people go on the sh*t list for slow loading times and this double post, too.

[This message was edited by First of Two on April 15, 1999.]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upsilon Andromedae is Spectral type F7.
More data on extrasolar planets can be found at:

Extrasolar Planets

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*turns on her "Squish the BBC Fairy" screen saver and clicks away* AHhhhh... Relief! *grin*

------------------
There are people who one loves immediatly and forever. Just to know that you exist in the same world together is sufficient. Till I loved, I never lived - enough.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smites the BBC* Idiots.

------------------
"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
-- John F. Kennedy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, it was BBC Radio 1, not BBC 1. BBC1 is on the list for many, many other reasons, chiefly Noel Edmonds and Mr Blobby though...

------------------
'My rigid grill structure...'
-Dinobot

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the BBC ever had to join the list, they've always been there. I don't listen to Radio 1, I just listen to the local BRMB one, yes, it's that radio station that gets two complete strangers married and give them a honeymoon, car and house for a year. Despite this, BRMB is far superior.

------------------
WARNING! This heamerroid cream should NOT be taken orally.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps