Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » We're striking back (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: We're striking back
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People have different morals. By definition, everybody thinks their morals are right and that everybody else should abide by them. Those who do not, are 'wrong' and will be punished by various means, either hypocritical or...well, mostly hypocritical.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By definition, everybody thinks their morals are right...

I suppose that follows, but...

quote:
...and that everybody else should abide by them.

This hardly does. There are plenty of moral frameworks in which one can be perfectly accepting of different moral views.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Constellation. Then your quote is "War has little room for [morality and justice].". Not a huge difference.

Omega: So, your contention is that one should always do what one thinks is best, even if it means doing the opposite of what's in the gospels? If that's the case, I guess I don't have to worry about going to hell...

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, you have the right morals. Otherwise you would not have them. Shouldn't everybody else follow your morals if they want to be right?

Be honest now.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would certainly be nice, but no ...

I don't care to have sex with men, but if men or women want to have sex with men, I'm not going to stop them.

I personally wouldn't want a woman I'm with to have an abortion, but I'm pro-choice because I know what I want isn't right for everyone.

I don't think people should be allowed to drive anything but a Jeep, but, hey, different strokes for different folks ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that "whole english" is something like the "whole word method", the bane of elementry public schools. They don't teach phonics any more, where you learn each letter's sound, and thus can figure out any word you run across. Now they teach you to recognize each WORD, in and of itself, with no understanding of why the word says what it says. The result is that if you run into a word that you've never had anyone explain to you, you're screwed.

So, your contention is that one should always do what one thinks is best, even if it means doing the opposite of what's in the gospels?

My contention is that there are situations in which all choices are in opposition to the gospel. The trick is to stay out of those situations to begin with. Strictly speaking, perhaps Bush should resign, because his job requirements are in opposition to his religion, but then you end up with the same conundrum: he'd be leaving the people he's sworn to protect out in the cold. He's stuck in an unwinnable situation, so he does what he has to do.

This is one reason I decided NOT to go into politics. I don't like no-win scenarios. Especially when you can't cheat.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps