Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Lighten the feck UP, yo.

Author Topic: Lighten the feck UP, yo.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote of the week, culled from Monday's USA Today:

"The new correctness is 'emotionally correct'--EC instead of PC. You have to know how to emote in a way people find acceptable in times like this. And if your way of doing this is through humor, you are now emotionally incorrect." --Stuart Fischoff, professor of media psychology, CA State University--LA, regarding dealing with the emotional aftermath of the 11 September attacks.

I agree. Bill Maher spoke his mind. Fuck that some people didn't care. This article is chockfull of good quotes, including Arianna Huffington: "Why is it suddenly politically incorrect to criticize the missile defense shield? If it was a lousy idea on September 10, it's still a lousy idea on October 1."

Also: "Richard Berthold, a tenured history professor at the University of New Mexico, apologized for joking to a class that 'anyone who can blow up the Pentagon has my vote.' The university plans to discipline him, but some legislators are trying to get him fired." WHY? I'd never apologize.

Let's end with another Fischoff quote: "At his poker game the other night, the dark humor about the dark events of September 11 was flying round the table. 'The joke was Architectural Digest was behind the whole thing.'"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emotionally correctness?!?! What the fuck? How the hell is someone gonna censor his/her emotions? This is bullshit in the highest order! Once again, I am left wondering how Humans managed to gain control of the planet in the first place. Geez. Your common house cat or dog has more sense than the average person nowadays.

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emotional self-censorship is impossible.

However, self-censorship of speech, in one's own self-interest, is old as human civilization. One does not, even if one is a card-carrying member of the KKK, shout out 'White power! Ni**ers die!' in the center of Compton... not if one wants to remain bodily intact.

These people whine about not being able to say what they want... why? Because it might offend someone. Welcome to the club. You'll notice that the people being written about here... celebrities, left-leaning college professors... are the people who created PC in the first place. Full circle. Live with your monster.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Political correctness, which requires that every group be given an equal share of respect, is simply the application of affirmative action to intangible aspects of social status. Although novel in some aspects, it has been long in the making and is a natural consequence of well-established principles. -- Jim Kalb

Frankly, I don't see how speaking one's mind about the terrorist attack -- even if the jokes are tasteless (you should be familiar with those, Rob) or even down-right mean -- is un-PC. That's just me ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is. "Political correctness" means making every effort not to offend anyone. In other words, what politicians have to do in order to gain votes. That's where I've always assumed the term came from, anyway.

So, no, making jokes about the attacks isn't politically correct. But, then, I don't really give a fuck about political correctness, so I'm not saying that it matters. :-)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps