Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Undeclared War

Author Topic: Undeclared War
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not since WWII has the United States declared war on another nation.

Yet, we have carried out numerous, extended military engagements with other nations since that time. The so-called Vietnam and Korean 'Wars' (during which no Decalration of War was issued) lasted for years. We had the Gulf 'War' at the beginning of the last decade, undeclared. The fighting in Kosovo a couple years ago? Undeclared.

Now we have the action in Afganistan, which President Bush says he will continue for as long as it takes to root out Osama Bin Laden, including up to several years, and now involves not just bombing raids but also ground troops. Yet there seems to be no plan to declare war on Afganistan.

I realize that they want to make it clear that it is only Terrorists and the Taliban which we are against, but there is a procedure that is supposed to be followed in this country when making military attacks, one that hasn't not been observed for a long time.

The President is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. He may sent or move troops wherever he wants. But it's up to Congress to decide whether to keep them there. Congress decides to keep them there by declaring war. A state of war is always to be declared in situations involving extended military action on foreign soil with the exception of peacekeeping missions, which usually entail a brief conflict and no major military force used.

So just WTF is the deal?

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the President has some 60 (maybe 90?) days to do with the military as he wishes before getting congressional consent. The logic behind this evolved during the Cold War. It was thought that if a nuclear attack was launched against the US, it would be extremely silly for the President to take the time to go to congress to get authorization to fire back since they'd all be dead. I haven't checked my govt book to confirm, but that is what I believe is the case.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Declaration of War, Resolution of Force. Same difference. Got me as to why.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is the small matter of there being little in the way of an Afghanistan for the U.S. to declare war on.

And, of course, global politics have changed since the early 20th century. Are we really at war with Afghanistan, or individuals within Afghanistan, or with parts of Afghanistan? Our entire definition of war, as built over millennia by western civilization, no longer seems valid.

Fun fact: Today is the 935th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Normans need to invade again?

Oh, & before anyone else can get it, yes, that DOES mean an entire army in chainmail & flashing necklaces "correlating."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps