Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is The Far Right Responsible For NYT/Daschle Anthrax? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is The Far Right Responsible For NYT/Daschle Anthrax?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planned Parenthood clinics fear hate mail was tainted
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
which aren't exactly hotbeds for rightist extremists

Rightest extremists don't go to college?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The extremists? Oh, maybe some of them go to Bob Jones, or Regent University, but most of them I've met didn't go at all, or attended for a very short time. (Of course, most far-right folks couldn't logic their way out of a wet paper bag, which is why I look down on them. Far-lefters are at least usually educated and intelligent, although just as wrong.)

And as for non-extremist conservatives... while they may GO to college, they aren't exactly made to feel welcome. Especially not the social conservative, Fundie ones. Unsuprising. Being a social liberal conservative(in other words, non-Christian and in favor of guarantees of equal rights and access to all people), I had a different experience.

It doesn't help that the only diehard conservative I knew in college was a total jerk.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A professor I had a few semesters ago told me about some guys he went to college with.

They did a tour in Vietnam before going to college, and apparently "liberated" a 30-caliber machine gun from the Army and mounted it on their dorm window ... with belts of real ammunition. Imagine if that happened these days? Kooky.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a conservative, I have to deal with leftist ideas on a daily basis. Several of my professors, especially in history, actually tried to apply Karl Marx's theories in class. While I couldn't stomach one class, I had to get through another because it was required.

Just a few days ago, someone printed a "Letter to the Editor" on using religion to help one heal over the tragedy of Sept. 11. The next day, someone had written a venomous response replying how our newspaper was printing 'propaganda' and it was so horrible that they printed the letter to the editor, and that the Spectrum should have immediately found an alternative view to counter the 'propaganda.' The letter clearly stated that the fact the letter advocating religion as a way of healing "was an opinion piece is irrelevant," and that an alternative view should have been provided.

It's really not fun to have my beliefs and ideals assaulted on a daily basis.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:

Then you know how I feel everytime I see "God Bless America" on a billboard, bumper-sticker, or what-not. And, trust me, they've been EVERYWHERE for the past month.

Not to mention driving past churches which have billboards saying "Jesus Will Save You", "God Bless America" (even more), and "Church Saves Your Soul."

And then there's those damn "not a sermon, just a though" Church ads on the radio, and on the news when the anchors advertise for masses to grieve for the events of September 11th.

And on top of that, the Towson Towerlight's "Letters to the Editor" section is full of "let's bomb the shit out of the Arabs!" op-eds. Three weeks ago, some students assaulted other students protesting for peace. The next issue of The Towerlight was full of letters blasting the protestors.

So, you know what, you don't like you beliefs being challenged? That's what the U.S. is about. Deal with it, everyone else does.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Now you know how I feel regarding my skirmishes with Omega.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees wholeheartedly w/ Jeff* The real, deer one. Not the fake, bird one. :-)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As a conservative, I have to deal with leftist ideas on a daily basis. Several of my professors, especially in history, actually tried to apply Karl Marx's theories in class. While I couldn't stomach one class, I had to get through another because it was required.

What, learning about Marx shouldn't be part of a history class?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learning about Marx and actually applying his theories are two seperate things.

So, you know what, you don't like you beliefs being challenged? That's what the U.S. is about.

He said assaulted, not challenged. Having your beliefs challenged is like what Benson described: seeing something you don't agree with. Having your beliefs assualted, however, is what Jeff's describing: an outright attack. Of course, he might be overstating just a bit, based solely on what he described, but there might be other incidents that he didn't mention. Either way, an assault and a challenge are not the same.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless the professor was confiscating the property of the class and organizing them into cooperative textile mills, I doubt highly the theories were being applied. Methinks JeffR didn't like a professor discussing Marx without prefacing his statements with "but Marx is total and utter shit."

Which he wasn't... I mean, I think 99% of the people on this planet would disagree with Marx today, but at the time of his writing his opinion was rather well-recieved by a good chunk of the population. Marx wasn't by any means stupid. Just most of us have a severe difference of opinion when it comes to his conclusions about society.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I see.

Being exposed to Marxist Communism is an "assault", but being exposed to religion is a "challenge"? Explain.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JR certainly has the right to drop any class he wants to. However, doing so because he feels "assaulted" and apparently without going to talk to the professor is rather putting the cart before the horse.

When I was working on my history degree, I noticed people that disagreed vehemently with various professor's point of view about Marx. I remember talking with a friend about one professor's assertion that Marx was a historian. My firend was quite upset about that idea. While I understood where he as coming from I could also understand where the point of view of the professor.

Social historians tend to think that Marx's historical economic dialectic playes a large role in culture and the development of society in the post agricultural revolution stages and during the industrial revolution. Many see the same "conflict of opposing forces" even now.

Social motivation adds new and different textual ways to "read" hisotry. Whatever you think about Marx or his economic theory, he is very important in the development of professional history and the challenging of the narritive.

One thing that I don't think students get about history is the "theory" behind it all. Marx presented an idea, a theory if you will, and historians have expanded on it, meshed it with other theory and come up with what many think is a important way to explain past events and social motivations.

My idea was that Marx was an advocate more so than a historian. He had a valid point to make about the historical economic dialectic, but moved far beyond objectivity while relating of his ideas.

Remember though that no historian can be truly objective. I tend to think it wrong to demand of a professor what you are not willing to give of yourself. Most people I ran into that had problems with what professors were talking about, walked into the classroom as an ideolog, put up a intellectual wall and refused to really listen or think.

However, understanding theory, take deconstruction for example, is not easy to make sence of or to put into perspective if one wants a pure narrative historical point of view.

Honestly, when one gets to university, historians think that your ready to digest more complex historical thought, and can seem to be and can actually be rather arrogant about how they present history.

The point is, that if one wants to be an educated person, one must read and understand points of view that one does not agree with.

And if you your a professional social historian who ignores Marx, postmodern thought, or theory in general, then you are a pretty poor historian. And yet, if you are a professional historian who can't sit down one on one with a student and talk with them about Marx, postmodern ideas or theory, then you are a pretty poor historian.

And it's the student has to engage the teacher on some intellectual and literate level. Read Marx, postmodern thought or other theory and then go talk about them.

University is about personal challenge and growth and the does not come about by singularly seeking the like minded. Avoiding ideas that you don't agree with only gets one so far in this world. Finding ideas that you don't agree with, ones that challenge you and motivate you to honest introspection can help you grow the most.

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Returning to topic-
Our family thinks that the cases of anthrax poisoning is home-grown. I believe that if a foreign nation wanted to use anthrax, they would either use it on a large population or a more important person, such as Pres. Bush.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, Jay. Very nice.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps