Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » March 17th

Author Topic: March 17th
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me, is Saint Patrick's Day just another excuse to skip class and get drunk all day? It seems to be the reason here.

------------------
"You bellowed?" - Black Arachnia - Agenda

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if it's green beer.

------------------
Here I Come To Save The Day : Mighty Mouse

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, goody, somebody started a thread about St. Patrick's Day. This means I don't have to.

Okay, listen up. This part ain't humor. This is the REAL poop on St. Patty, and that famous legend about the snakes.

There aren't snakes in Ireland. Never have been.
There WERE Druids in Ireland.
They had purple snake tattoos on their arms (I don't know why, but then again I don't know why anybody gets tattoos.)
Patrick and his brethren persecuted them a great deal, essentially driving them to extinction.

Hence, the symbolism of driving the "snakes" from Ireland in actuality refers to the destruction of the original native religion.

And THAT is why, on the 17th, instead of green, I wore every scrap of Druidic stuff I could get my hands on. (And caused a stir when one of the Fundie ladies who frequents the library "mistook" my necklace pendant for a "Satanic" symbol.)

Remember the Druids.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully by skip class you're refering to university students young man. UNderage drinking cannot be condoned.

On the other hand, legal drinking should be encouraged as much as possible.

On St Patrick's day I become funny, witty, and unbelievably attracive, and possessed of great sexual magnetism. No, I do. For I have spoken

------------------
'Lasts longer than any other type of milk does dog's milk.'
'Why's that Hol?'
'No bugger'll drink it'
Holly and Lister.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, he only gets that way 20 seconds before he passes out and ruins the effect.

Damn the luck!

------------------
Carpe Canem!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've usually got my head down the toilet way before I ever pass out, so they don't see me in that undignified way.

Er, I'm not hurting my super-cool image here am I?

------------------
'Lasts longer than any other type of milk does dog's milk.'
'Why's that Hol?'
'No bugger'll drink it'
Holly and Lister.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsiLiam: Well... Let's just say that nobody's disillusioned and leave it at that, shall we?

------------------
Carpe Canem!

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, upon sobering up a little, this post wasn't as funny as I thought. Actually, it was a bit offensive. Well, at least to your sense of humour.

On a more serious note, it is indeed sad that the celebrationof St Patrick has been washed away in a tidal wave of green beer.

------------------
Please don't put your life in the hands of a Rock n Roll band
Who'll throw it all away
So I start the revolution from my bed
Cos you said the brains I have went to my head -

Oasis

[This message was edited by DT on March 20, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ooh, we are Mr Party aren't we?

And it's PSY Liam, not Psi Liam. For a reason. A very cunning reason.

------------------
'Not the sponge, not the sponge!'
-Marty Crane

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Okay Baldrick, whatever you say!

------------------
Carpe Canem!

[This message was edited by Baloo on March 20, 1999.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps