Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yet more security challenges

Author Topic: Yet more security challenges
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can't detect this weapon with metal detectors.

http://www.shomertec.com/item.cfm?variable=442

quote:
The Stealth Hawk from Busse Combat Knives is a unique professional knife developed for police, military, and SCUBA applications where detectability, magnetism, conductivity, or spark generation might prove detrimental to the mission. It weighs only 3 ounces, and is invisible to metal detectors.

So, what are we to do? Full body cavity searches?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd almost feel sorry for the person who tries to hide that in a body cavity... *cringe*
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall correctly, there's a type of gun in existence that's made out of ceramic components. It apparently doesn't show up on metal detectors, either. I wish I could remember more about that. I learned of it from a conversation I had with one of the campus police sergeants one very boring night.

The only way to completely be safe would be strip search and conduct full body-cavity searches on each and every passenger. In addition, every piece of luggage would need to be removed from the suitcase with larger items being disassembled to prod the insides (if I recall a Discovery Channel documentary correctly, Pam Am 103 was brought down by plastic explosions hidden in a plastic radio). These same practices would have to be extended to include everyone going on any plane for any reason (pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, caterers, captain's cabana boy, etc).

In short, it's an impossible goal to attain until we develop the super-sensors and -scanners of Star Trek fame. No matter the best intentions and efforts of those charged with providing and maintaining security for air flights, something is going to slip through.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ceramic gun isn't publicly available. Only intelligence agencies have 'em.

It's kinda like gun control. You can't possibly eliminate all guns, so your best bet is to have MORE guns: in this case, ones in the hands of your trained security people. Of course, a really smart terrorist would try the TV cliche of designing a bomb that only goes off when his heart stops, but we're probably dealing with low-calibur weapons, and one shot to the head probably wouldn't kill...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stepping nicely into the ballistic trajectory of yet another one of Omega's gun control rants....

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
In short, it's an impossible goal to attain until we develop the super-sensors and -scanners of Star Trek fame.

I am personally far more fond of giant X-ray screens as a precursor to the neat-azz X-ray LCD display from "Total Recall."

Get yer azz t'Mars, G.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parts of that appear to be in English, yet I'm still not sure what it all means...
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget the balsa-wood gun that John Malkovich made in "In the Line of Fire". Cool shit.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that a ceramic pistol?
OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought it was wood of some kind. Might be though.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. And to think, the original genesis of that statement was "Getcher azz t'Mars, nigga.."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Now you've eliminated almost all the English from it. :-)

A balsa wood gun? That sounds... impractical...

*BANG!* "Ha ha! I shot you! I— ah! My gun's on fire! Ow ow ow!!!"

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

OnToMars
Member # 621

LOL, TSN. Well, he never planned on getting out alive. It was a suicide presidential assisination thing. Awesome movie, check it out.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps