Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Shit possibly couldn't happen at a better time

Author Topic: Shit possibly couldn't happen at a better time
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..... then now.

Last August, around the time of my 1 year anniversary at the place I'm working in, my boss asked me if I will be staying for another year. Of course, I couldn't lie to him, and I told him I may be looking for another job come November.

I am attending an acclaimed private technical college in order to obtain advanced experience in such topics like Oracle SQL, Java, VB, and the like. I've learned quite a bit from this program I am presently in. They also have a placement program which assists students in obtaining real employment, not some cheesy $10/hr job. So at the time I talked to him, I thought things were going to be okay by the time this program ended in November.

Everything seems to have come undone on Sept 11. It is not just the bombing, and the subsequent economic slowdown which may be causing me so much problems, but it a collection of other things that, well, really wonder why everything happens at the [sarcasm]best possible moment[/sarcasm].

Not too long after the bombings, I tried to contact the placement program at the college to get some possible opportunities. I have been told that the placement team had been junked and a new one was being assembled.

A week and a half later, I was speaking to a fellow student where I learned of problems existing within the college. What I learned was quite disturbing: good teachers are leaving and unqualified teachers are being hired and prominent members of the faculty have been fired after speaking out against the President of the college.

I tried to think nothing about this. This was one thing that I did not want to hear at this time. At the same time, preparations were being made to bring my replacement in and for me to train that replacement before I leave.

A week after that, I received an e-mail from a former employee at the college. Allegations of the college breaking laws were made as well as allegations of the President of the College deliberately shortchanging students in their studies.

Bad enough was that this note was not only sent to me, but it was also forwarded to various media outlets, as well as government staff. And the staff have indicated that they will look into that matter.

I talked to my boss and told them about these problems. If this so called allegations were true, not only would the college would be in trouble, but also myself, the eventual recipient of their diploma would have problems with prospective employers who would rather not be affiliated with an institution engaging in illegal activities. I also spoke to the President of the college. He indicated that this was a poison pen campaign to twist the facts. He would not give me the entire story, citing confidentiality concerns. Of course, like every major argument, it is like a "he said, she said" affair.

At the same time, the Placement team has been reassembled. I fire off a resume, and within a day, I receive 4 very good opportunities from them. I fire off copies of my resume to them.

Since then, four more "poison pen" letters of the same type have been circulated. Among them is a note that a class action lawsuit has been leveled against the college and its President for gross misconduct, harassment, breach of contract, and fraud.

Last week, I had scheduled an interview for a nice job in the city. I received a call from someone in that company asking me about my enrolment in that college. I confirm it, and he says that he is cancelling my interview as they "do not want to get involved with colleges that are accused of breaking the rules". My worst fear has come true.

Yesterday, I call the placement department to inquire on more positions. The Secretary notifies me that the placement team has been junked, yet again. The new team will not be in place until the new year.

Now my boss has dropped another bombshell on me: my last day of work is at the end of the year. The job I'm working in requires at least a month of training. Normally people give two weeks notice before they get another job. So in order to prevent any disruption at work, he wants someone hired by the end of next week. I will then train this person, and come New Years Day, I will be unemployed, with no hope of a job other than the McDonalds down the street.

I have had my share of shit over the past years, but the events that are taking place as they are unfolding are, quite simply, insane. If it was just the bombing alone, then I would not have much trouble weathering whatever storm may arise. But with all this chaos happening at my college, I am now fearful of the future. Especially with the low level of hirings that take place in Christmas, things are not looking too bright.

The worst thing is, I have worked hard to try to make my future a lot better than it is now, and I have to accept the reality that my hard work will go down the drain due to things beyond my control. I still owe funds to the College, and I have very little cash to work with. I face the prospect of having to move in with my parents, something I do not want to do since there is some level of animosity between my mother and I, which is the exact reason I moved out in the first place.

I know shit happens, but why does all of it have to come down at the worst possible time?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because if it didn't, it wouldn't be true happenin' shit.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Mr. Christopher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ye gods! What could the school have done that was so heinous that a company would refuse to hire someone simply on the basis that they go to school there?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one am shocked at these allegations. I just refuse to converse with someone of such poor educational standards.. Explains the grammar problems we've had of late, it does. Perhaps TrekBBS would have you?

Just kidding. If I may be so bold, what school is it. I'm wondering if I've seen it on the news somewhere.. (or is that privileged information)

oh and "better time 'than' now" , not 'then'

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: The College has been accused of gross violation of educational standards. Apparently the company did not want to associate itself with a black sheep.

CaptainMike: Not right now. I have too many things to think about.

Like for instance, whether or not I should have tried that other college not far from here. The two I were considering were supposed to be among the best, but I liked the facilities of this one better than the other one. Who would have knew that the college I would be enrolled in be ensnared in such a controversy?

The Media hasn't reported it yet. Rumours are abound that the Media are breathing down the President's back looking for a story. If they do get one, I guess I'll have to kiss my career goodbye, as well as my life savings as well.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant imagine being in that situation.. didnt mean to be insensitive

I've been screwing around not taking my education seriously and going to a fake college (actually its a really well run community college, but it still carries the stigma). I dont evn know how to ponder moving on to a 'real' job someday.

And I'm an art major, so that means i should get comfortable with my collection of nametags and aprons

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get in on the class action suit "toot sweet." They're almost always settled quickly & out of court, with a fairly reasonable fiduciary stipend.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like you could probably also get that company in trouble for not even considering your application simply because of the school you go to...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, no matter how desperate things might look, don't think everything you've worked for has gone down the drain... you've got knowledge and experience, which are two valuable assets. Not all companies (does the one that refused even have a legal leg to stand on?) are going to turn down an ambitious and obviously highly motivated college graduate.
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna, as we start life out of college, shit happens. I'm sure the many adults here will attest to it. There are much worse things that could happen. You're a smart lad and this is something you can handle. Many things will test us in life. Just keep your head up and have faith.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So philisophical ...

Good luck, Tahna. You've got the knowledge, that should count for something.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps