Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » School trip to see Harry Potter has been canceled because it was a violation of C&S? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: School trip to see Harry Potter has been canceled because it was a violation of C&S?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious... Did they have to film some scenes two different ways, to fix any sorcerer/philosopher, soccer/football, &c. problems? I mean, considering that the movie actually has different titles in the US and UK ("Sorcerer" vs. "Philosopher"), I would think they would at least have accounted for that dialogue...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, I think that would be taken care of by re-dubbing (and not reshooting) scenes.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right, no-one's going to notice when the actor's mouth says one thing, but the sound says something else. I don't think they were on that low of a budget...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, TSN, redubbing is *always* done, mostly for the differences in the TV version of the film from the theatrical release and so on.

You see the TV trailer for "Training Day"? Denzel Washington says "King Kong ain't got nothing on me!" In the movie, he says "King Kong ain't got shit on me!" Did you notice that the trailer was overdubbed? I doubt it.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

No, actually, I haven't seen it. And I quite frequently notice the dubbing-out of "bad" words in TV-airings of movies.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As I understand it, after a film has finished filming, the actors all have to go "over-dub" their lines for a clean audio cut. While there, they re-dub certain lines for different 'versions' of the film.

But that's assuming there are differences between the N. American and European release.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how many films have differences between the US and European versions? Hardly any. And none I can think of have dubbing differences (except maybe kids films, but since they don't have problems with the Rugrats saying "fanny" on TV, I don't think the film would be different).

Austin Powers 1 had a couple of scenes remvoed in the US version though, for some reason. The scene with the henchman's wife after he is killed, and the henchman's stag party after he's killed were both cut out of the US version, for some reason.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

And included in the DVD's "Special Features" menu for the N. American release. Hilarious. I don't know why they were cut, except possibly to make the film fit a tighter time spot.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I wasn't talking about just over-dubbing. I was tlaking about over-dubbing different words than what's being said in the video. If someone's mouth is forming "sorcerer", and the sound "philosopher" comes out, it's going to be pretty obvious. Watch TNG's "The Battle" and see how obvious it is when they switch two words as near as "constitution" and "constellation".
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

See? Proof positive that its done.

And again, do we know that it was even done in Harry Potter?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

But, in that case, they didn't know ahead of time that they would need to change it.

You need to understand something: There are two versions of the book. The original is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which does things like referring to soccer as "football". That's the one Rowling wrote, and it was released in England. The title of the movie, as released over there, is also Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is an editted version of the book which was released over here. The movie, as released here, has a matching title.

If they used "sorcerer" XOR "philosopher" in the movie, it wouldn't even match the movie's title in one of the markets. That would be rather silly.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But do we know that there are two versions of the film? Can we please ascertain that first, okay? And I'm sure that if there ARE two cuts, they were planning on them during filming and just did some dubbing action. CGI can, as I understand it, work wonders.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my sister, who is in 8th grade, went on a Field Trip to see Harry Potter on opening day.

God only knows how a school expects kids to sit through a nearly 3-hour movie without causing trouble, though...

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Jeff: I was pointing out that there almost have to be two versions. Otherwise, it'll look stupid.

And why are you even arguing w/ me about this? All I did was ask a question. If you haven't got the answer, what are you talking about?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It takes two to argue. And I think what we're arguing about is:

TSN - "They filmed it two ways whenever someone said 'Sorcerer' or 'Philosopher'"

Me - "They overdubbed it."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps