Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Rethinking our stance (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rethinking our stance
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm reading the 4th Arkady Renko book by Martin Cruz Smith, & it's set in Havana, Cuba. As I read it, it talks a lot about Cuba being the last true home of the Revolution, how it's still frozen in the late 50s, how the Russians are hated more than Americans.

Should we drop the embargo? It DOES seem rather pointless now, especially given China's Most Favored Nation trade status. As I understand it, the major obstacle to this is the Cuba Libre folks down in Miami who despise Castro. And speaking of :::moves right hand in a swift stroking movement from chin downward::: Him, how do you think the Cubans & the US government will react when he dies? Last I heard, Raul was set to be his successor, but ALSO last I heard, Raul's health was slightly better than Brezhnev's.

I personally rather like El Jefe. He seems to bee a fairly cool guy. I read a very lengthy Playboy interview with him from August 1985 (in which half the fun was hearing the story surrounding how the interview was gotten & what the interviewer needed to go through to finally get it & to :::moves hand in downward motion again::: Him) & he was very coherent, very calm, cool, collected, & logical...& proud.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huhhuhhuhuh..you sed playboy1!! teh boobz! hehhehehhe!!11!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's how Casey O'Dell & Kurt Schweder reacted when they say me reading the interview with John Delorean in study hall one day. Also how Bryan Tomek & Andy Paxson acted when they saw me reading the Fidel one as well.

FOCUS.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could lay off Canadian Companies that deal with Cuba too. I don't think you will stop the stupid embargo on Cuba untill two things happen
1) Castro dies.
2) All of the people who lost land or wealth during the revolution die.
It's about time that the American government accepted the fact that Castro kicked out your puppet government and it's time to move on. I wonder how many americans know that after the revolution Castro came to the US for help to try and rebuild but was turned down because the US government was still pissed off that their puppet was ousted. Castro had nowhere else to turn at the time, as the world was so ridgidly divided between Communist and capitalist so he went to the USSR for help. Thus creating the communist state off your border that has lead to years of poverty in that country as well as almost plunging the world into nuclear war.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far as I'm concerned, we should leave the embargo in place until the country shapes up. But then, I think we should do the exact same thing to China and every other repressive government in the world.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Member # 343

But the country CAN'T really "shape up." It doesn't have the funds. I mean, we're on this whole savior of the world kick, yet we're also like the neighbors next door who invite people for a party & lock the kids in the basement so they're not embarrassed.

Interestingly enough, I just read today that yet another Cuban concession on the road for aid was turned down in favor of continuance of the embargo. This thing seems to have the scent of one of those "it's the way it's always been" deals.

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, you seem to be the champion of religious beliefs here and yet you show no mercy to the nation beside you. What happened to helping your brothers, turn the other cheek and all that other stuff. Your policy of embargo, or repression has not worked to help the Cubans so far maybe it is time to turn to your religious teachings and actually try to help these people instead of repressing them.

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Grokca ]

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
M. Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The obvious answer to that is 'we're not repressing them. Fidel is.'

It's not OUR trade embargos, or lack thereof, that lead to repression, it's the governments in charge.

It doesn't take scads of money to have a revolution, as history has conclusively demonstrated from Europe to the Americas to the Middle and Far East.

Cuba knows what it would take to end the embargo. Cuba won't do it. Too bad for Cuba.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

You don't call a 40 year pointless trade embargo just because they bloodied your nose repressing. What about fining and freezing the assets of foreign countries that deal with them. Your embargo has nothing to do with Castro repressing his people, if it did you wouldn't trade with 1/2 the midddle eastern countries, African countries,China, South Korea and the list goes on and on. This is just a personal thing because old senators like Jesse Helms lost stuff back then and they want revenge on Castro because he had the nerve to kick out your puppet.

--------------------
M. Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, don't care.

Listen. You wanna play in the US, you play by the US's rules. You don't like our rules, pick up your ball and go home.

Given the choice between trading with us and trading with Cuba, most people will, wisely, pick us.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What happened to helping your brothers, turn the other cheek and all that other stuff.

The quick answer is that Omega is a Christian only when it's convenient. Whenever something comes up he oh so easily ignores the "teachings" he claims to cherish and defends it by saying "its the best way" (even if it violates the supposed "way of God" he preaches about). One of the many reasons why he isn't taken seriously.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quick answer is that Omega is a Christian only when it's convenient. Whenever something comes up he oh so easily ignores the "teachings" he claims to cherish and defends it by saying "its the best way" (even if it violates the supposed "way of God" he preaches about).

OK, let me get this straight: you are saying that I am a hypocrite because it can be logically deduced from my God's teachings that we should lift the embargo on Cuba. You might have a point, IF such a thing could be logically deduced, but since it can't be...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, not neccessarily. I'm remembering all the threads when its been pointed out to you that the stance you're taking is contray to the Bible, and you've defended it by saying "there's no better way."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

In other words, he's abandoned logic in favor of an ad-hominem ("my opponent is a hypocrite, and he's MEAN, too!") attack. Again.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
my opponent is a hypocrite, and he's MEAN, too!"

Who, Omega?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps