Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Rethinking our stance (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rethinking our stance
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STOP IT. Don't MAKE me spank you BOTH.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I might enjoy that.

Or not.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall that we went round and round on this Cuba thing more than once.

It's such a juvenile policy. We'll do just about anything in the name of national interest including giving money and arms to dictators around the world to trading with about every other communist country.

But when it comes to Cuba, we say no. You made us angry back in the cold war....you stay in isolation.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, let me get this straight: you are saying that I am a hypocrite because it can be logically deduced from my God's teachings that we should lift the embargo on Cuba. You might have a point, IF such a thing could be logically deduced, but since it can't be...

Let me attempt to logically deduce this using some bible quotations

[Prov 3:29.7] Do not plan evil against your neighbor who dwells trustingly beside you

[Lev 19:13.6] "You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him

[Mark 12:31.9] The second is this, `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

[Mat 19:19.11] Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

And the parable that most of us were taught as children

[Luke 10:29.14] But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" [Luke 10:30] Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. [Luke 10:31] Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. [Luke 10:32] So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. [Luke 10:33] But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, [Luke 10:34] and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. [Luke 10:35] And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, `Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.' [Luke 10:36] Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?" [Luke 10:37] He said, "The one who showed mercy on him." And Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."
And this story is particularly interesting in this situation as the US is not only ignoring the plight of their neighbours you are actively trying to stop others from trading with them.

And lastly one about trade

[Lev 25:14.12] And if you sell to your neighbor or buy from your neighbor, you shall not wrong one another.

I think these passages clearly outline what stance should be taken in this matter

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pro-Cuban, pro-Castro. I think he has done a good job of running his country.

The argument that I often hear for the continuation of the embargo is human rights. I believe this argument to be laughable, especially in the light of our country's human rights record. Our country has one of the worst human rights records in the world. Rf. our jails. However, since we have a powerful and deadly military force, we can preach one way, do another way. Cuba is a victim of this skewed perspective.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend from high school is Cuban, his grandparents managed to escape back in the late fifties or early sixties. So I may have been influenced by the "adventure" stories I've heard about their smuggling medicine through airports and what-not to assist their relatives still in-country.

I'm anti-Castro, but I don't see how our embargo has done anything to remove him from power, so I'm anti-U.S. Cuban policy (and yes, this includes everything from Clinton's order to ship escapees back to Guantamano to the embargo).

Besides, no embargo = Cuban cigars. That's a good thing.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...some of your points are valid, sure. USA != perfect and all.

But, um, there are worse prisons. Much worse.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as our jails continue to have free excercise rooms, air conditioning, and television, and my apartment doesn't, I will spit in the eye of anybody who tells me that US jails are nasty.

But to answer Grocka, Cuba is NOT our "neighbor." Neighbor, in the sense that it meant when that sentence was written, meant a LOT more than 'the guy next door.' And it still does.

The guy who lives next door and doesn't bother you and you don't bother him, and he pulls for you when you're down, and you pull for him when he's down, he's your neighbor.

The guy who lives next door who wants you dead, he's not your neighbor. The guy who puts flaming bags of poop on your doorstep, he's not your neighbor.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
my apartment doesn't, I will spit in the eye of anybody who tells me that US jails are nasty.

So, your apartment has a big, oddly affectionate biker named "Bob" who has taken you for his bitch? Wow.

You know, most apartment complexes have open exercise rooms open to residents. The one I left over the summer also had a pool. I've never seen an apartment complex that doesn't offer air-conditioning, you weren't very demanding, were ya'? You don't own a TV? Cool in a 'too bad you can't watch Enterprise' but oh well kind of way.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of two, It was the US's policies which cause this problem in the first place. First you set up a puppet government to rape the place and then when someone kicks your puppet out and denounces you you call him the hatemonger. And as for trying to kill you, the US has now become friends of the russian government that for years openly fought you on all fronts. The Cuban government has never invaded your territory or fought openly with you, except when you have attacked them. As for the Cuban Missle crisis, Castro had no real choice in the matter as USSR was the only nation that would give them aide and this was a condition for that aide. If you can make friends with the russians why not the Cubans.
The russians have done more harm to your country over the years than the Cubans ever did or could.
Still sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

--------------------
M. Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

And first of two here is the difinition of neighbor, you will note that it refers to a fellow human being, most likely the meaning refered to in the bible

neigh�bor [n�ybr ] noun (plural neigh�bors)

1. somebody living nearby: somebody who lives or is located very close by, for example, on the same street or in the same town

2. something or somebody nearby: a person, place, or thing located next to another or very nearby (often used before a noun) the Spanish and their Portuguese neighbors

3. fellow human: a fellow human being (archaic or literary)

vti (past neigh�bored, past participle neigh�bored, present participle neigh�bor�ing, 3rd person present singular neigh�bors)
be close to something or somebody: to be very close to something or somebody

[Old English nahgebr , from nah "near" (source of English nigh) + gebr "dweller"]

--------------------
M. Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps