Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Where did Bin Laden go wrong? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where did Bin Laden go wrong?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the plus side, they are responsible for lots and lots of cartoons where you get to see girls panties.

On the negative side, they are directly responsible for one of the biggest atrocities of all time. Pearl Harbour. The film.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Plus they changed the history about how it happened and what did happened during WWII.

The Japanese have a time machine ... ? This is news to me.*

And there is no 'u' in Pearl Harbor, given that it is a proper name without the afore-mentioned 'u' ...

*Yes, yes, I know he's talking about the way the Japanese Government teaches history ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right. I wasn't paying attention. Sorry.

I was correct about the panties though.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Toronto Star published a summary of Al Qaeda and the Taliban's Blunder here

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, The Taliboys forgot a basic lesson that we thought everybody'd learned by now...

The Americans are Insane.

Hell, I practically expected to hear someone paraphrase Londo Mollari:

"Is it true? They say the Americans have gone mad! That they are destroying every place that has been touched by the terrorists!"

The US, as a country, is like that mentally ill guy who sits in a chair, unmoving, staring into space... and you can talk to him, or scream in his face, or even paint his toenails... but don't poke him, 'cause he'll leap out of that chair and break all your arms.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Which is why, although we invite you to parties, no-one ever offers you a lift home.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but don't poke him, 'cause he'll leap out of that chair and break all your arms.

All... two of them?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case everyone missed this, it rather got burried in the news...a page 4 brief in the Times:

quote:
EGYPT
Official Says Tape Is Bin Laden 'Confession'
From Times Wire Reports

In the first official Egyptian reaction, the police minister said a videotape in which Osama bin Laden is shown rejoicing over the Sept. 11 attacks amounts to a "complete confession."

"This tape is a clear and complete implication of Osama bin Laden, contrary to what he had said earlier about having nothing to do with the attacks," Interior Minister Habib Adli, in charge of Egyptian civilian security forces, was quoted as telling the weekly magazine Al Mussawar.

Many in the Middle East doubted the authenticity of Bin Laden’s tape, released by the Pentagon on Dec. 13.

But Egyptian security forces "consider it a clear confession of Bin Laden’s responsibility in all that happened. . . . It is a complete confession that implicates him," Adli said.

That seems to me that's a rather inportant statment for a Arab country to make.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hardly a change of position for the Mubarak government, really. They've been very anti-fundie since, um, forever. Egypt's been routinely disintegrating members of Islamist movements since they assasinated Sadat.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True enough that is, however, the Dubya propaganda machine seems to be asleep at the switch on this one.

Egypt is an important member of the Muslim world, moderate as it may be on some issues. This should be got out just as loudly as some of the schmoes said he was innocent.

That and I don't see any other member of the Muslim world, like say Jordan or even Kuwait saying anything about the guilt of Bin Laden. To be sure, many have expressed support or condolences have been quiet beyond that.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little surprising from Jordan, perhaps, but one must take into account that few governments in the Arabic world are popular, or elected, for that matter. Bin Laden has the potential to become a sort of folk hero, not so much for striking back against the Great Satan as for suggesting that nations like Saudi Arabia or Kuwait are corrupt through and through and need to have their current leaders kicked out and replaced, which is a position many people in those nations can agree with.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps