Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Argentina: Imbecility, Laissez-Faire or Complete Corruption? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Argentina: Imbecility, Laissez-Faire or Complete Corruption?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to put those damned Union Bosses under the microscope.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thought occurs to me that "stability" is not a viable concept in Central & South America. Looking back through history, we see that the most efficient forms of government are all built around figureheads, from Huayna Capac & Huascar to Montezuma to Simon Bolivar. I'm thinking (from a very offhand, very light, very 'I need to shower & go to work" sort of desktop sociopolitical POV) that "democracy" simply isn't viable in these regions. There's too much centuries-old mung to cut through. Maybe a benevolent dicatatorship should be the best to hope for. This seems to be the can in much of the world as well.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: lately, that model is beginning to change. After the whole dictatorship movement of the 70s, nobody in Latin America (with a couple of exceptions) wants a 'dictator' or dictator-like in power. Especially here. We're commending the attitude of the armed forces to avoid their intervention unless REALLY needed (if all other order-keeping forces are overwhelmed).

We just need someone executive at the chair, with a fast, effective Congress, and a clean justice system. At least, a little better than now.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe a benevolent dicatatorship should be the best to hope for.

I'm still available.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it looks like the job has opened up, too. President De La Rua has resigned his presidency. It has to be approved by the Congress, but I don't think Congress will do anything to resist it considering how violent things are getting in Argentina.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking back through history, we see that the most efficient forms of government are all built around figureheads

Efficient government == bad. You need a government that can't get practically ANYTHING done, and thus doesn't interfere.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's a pretty lame statement.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, of course, because then Rush Limbaugh would have nothing to complain about and all his ditto-heads would see what a bag of shit he is

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Efficient government == bad.

Wow. A homeschooled teenager from Tennessee has conclusively answered a question academics have debated for centuries. Clearly we're sharing our virtual pad here with the father of a revoulutionary overhaul of the entire field of Political Science. Should we suspend forum operations for a week and hold a ticker-tape parade?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that the statement he quoted was pre-qualified with the parameters of "Central & South America."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega's just explicitly stated that his ideal government is an incompetent one. If I took any of his political opinions seriously before, I'm certainly going to stop now...
Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Shik, because for Omega's vision of global economics, those Central and South American states shouldn't be anything but client states for the USA. So, what a better way to intervene into local matters for the profit of the US than having to dictate local affairs for incompetent banana-republic presidents?
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Bashir, how you holding up down there, the reports we are getting are very scary. Keep your family safe.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

Things are going better. Rioters are mostly gone. Law enforcement is stronger now, even when the state of siege has been lifted (last measure taken by De La Rua today, who's still technically the president). Looting may cease too, now that food distribution is going along.

The future economical and political scenario is far more important. The worse thing it could happen is to fall in the old ways: worthless money printed everyday and inflation...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Central and South American states shouldn't be anything but client states for the USA.

You mean like Puerto Rico?

All of the benefits of statehood, including economic support, and none of the drawbacks? They should be so lucky.

Anyway...

Considering that the most 'efficient' governments have to be those of the Fascists, and the most 'involved' governments have to be those of the Communists, and BOTH of those systems being horrible and far worse than our current inefficient, uninvolved government, I'd have to come down on Omega's side. He's only stated the obvious.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.