Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Sit Back, & Watch The Fireworks (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sit Back, & Watch The Fireworks
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If handguns have no possible modern military application, in this day of big guns and body armor, one wonders why most modern militaries arount the globe issue them as well as big guns and body armor...

Hm.

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? For the same reason military fighterplanes still carry a 20mm Vulcan: backup. Small handguns are last-ditch pea-shooters, NOT primary armament.

*Pictures FoT, along with several dozen BookWur... right-wingers, storming Capitol Hill*

Get a grip.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If handguns have no possible modern military application, in this day of big guns and body armor, one wonders why most modern militaries arount the globe issue them as well as big guns and body armor

Well, let's see -- did the Taliban's soldiers wear body armor? I don't think so.

When are handguns used in military situations? In Vietnam, to clear out Vietcong tunnels ... of course, a rifle would limit one's manueverability.

As I understand it, handguns are generally issued only to officers, and special forces. They don't give every Private his own .45

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman's forgotten that guy who made it into one of the Capitol buildings (was it the white house?) a few years back.

Backup? No. The aircraft gun, like the small-arms gun, is used when it's appropriate to the job... such as when you're too close for missiles. Or in that tunnel example you used.

Or more importantly, when you don't have any missiles, because to anybody with an iota of grey matter, a little defense is better than none at all.

When your armed capability goes up, the number of people who are serious threats to you decreases exponentially.

It's kind of like clothes in winter... a T-shirt and shorts aren't as good as a parka... but they're better than being naked.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they won't stop you from freezing to death, either.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

But they'll keep you alive somewhat longer, thus affording you a better chance to seek shelter / more clothes / some other alternative to freezing to death.

Sometimes a chance is all you need.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sometimes people tend to confuse reality with fiction.

Face it, Rob, if the government sent in soldiers and tanks to find you, and you resisted, you'd be dead. No ifs-ands-or-buts about it. Infa-red vision on helicopters, satelites ... you camp, they'd find you. You run, pilots would track you.

Unless, of course, you managed to convince the French to send an army [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dread getting involved, but surely an argument for gun rights or against gun control or for gun proliferation or whatever you want to call it can be constructed without resting on the basic premise that Red Dawn was a wicked cool movie.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Yeah right. If I'm living in "Red Dawn," then he's living in "Patriot Games" or some book in which the military technology is infallible.

1. The government is not going to mount a full-scale military assault on an individual or small group (waco notwithstanding). To do so would invite more trouble than it was worth. Almost certainly stir up support. They're more likely to send somebody like the BATF... and you could see how long a few people managed to hold THEM off.

2. As I said before, anything which would get me that involved would have to be big enough to involve a lot of other people. So the "lone defender" postulate you keep using is silly.

3. By the time the govt. would come looking for inoffensive subtle sneaky little old me, the situation would likely have deteriorated to the point that even parts of the military would be untrustworthy, so the "vs. the whole armed forces" part is equally ludicrous.

4. Even if I agree that a handgun is a 'last resort backup,' other currently legal weapons are not. Shotguns, rifles, etc. A person who knows how to use it can inflict a lot of damage with a rifle and be gone before the airstrikes come.

5. Speaking of these hypothetical airstrikes... have we seen any footage of airstrike victims from Afghanistan? I mean, besides the convoy which was in a nice straight line out in the open? Airstrikes didn't win 'Nam, or Panama, or even the Persian Gulf War. An air attack ended WWII in the Pacific, but I don't think the US is willing to nuke their own neighborhoods.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Post a subtle critique of Jeff's hamfisted tactics in this thread and it is apparently either too subtle or one must be registered in the Official League of People Who Like To Blow Things Up to have an opinion worth paying attention to.

Well, lesson learned, I guess.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, it's nice to know Rob agrees with me that the military isn't going to turn against U.S. citizens and that thusly, "we need guns to protect ourselves from it!" isn't valid reasoning.

[Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe he said that...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The government is not going to mount a full-scale military assault on an individual or small group (waco notwithstanding).

You didn't read this, apparently.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

That doesn't rule out small-scale attacks, ranging from Ruby Ridge-style assaults up to MOVE and Waco. (granted, these folks were nuts, but if they can do it to the nuts they can do it to the rest of ya. -- we're all 'nuts' to somebody else: from 'liberal communists' to 'fundie psychos' to everybody else in between. All it takes is for 'them' to classify 'you' as a threat.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps