Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Winning With the Military Clinton Left Behind (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Winning With the Military Clinton Left Behind
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael E. O'Hanlon, Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy Studies at The Brookings Institution wrote the following opinion piece....

quote:
Winning With the Military Clinton Left Behind

Just over a year ago, George Bush and Dick Cheney were campaigning hard on the theme that Bill Clinton and Al Gore had run down the United States military. Picking up a traditional Republican refrain, they claimed that defense cuts under President Clinton had gone too far, that the armed forces had been overused badly, that readiness was poor. But now President Bush stands on the verge of winning a war with the military that Bill Clinton bequeathed him. Just as in NATO's 1999 war against Serbia, the United States military has led coalition forces to a decisive victory while suffering very few casualties in the process.

The entire article may be found here.

Read, comment, begin exchange of ideas.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Clinton administration misused military power during its first year in office in Somalia and then in Haiti; the results were needless American deaths in the first instance and a poorly planned, aborted mission in the second. Morale was low, and recruitment and retention posed problems.

At least they admit that. Someone once cautioned against 'adventures abroad.'

quote:
Cuts in defense spending to help balance the federal budget went too far in some cases—until the Republican Congress stepped in and insisted on adding money for the Pentagon.

Oh, those damned Republicans again.

quote:
Despite these problems, which put a drag on military readiness,

So they admit that, too. Good.

quote:
And by the end of Mr. Clinton's second term, increases in pay and innovations in the force structure helped to resolve some of the morale, recruiting and retention problems that had been serious in the mid-90's.

Yes, but was that Billy's doing, or more of Those Damn Republicans' military spending increases, he doesn't say. [Wink]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice you don't go yelling at Bush Sr. for sending troops to Somalia in the first place, you only yell at Clinton about "adventures abroad."

Interesting.

It's also interesting to note the picture the Republican Party painted of the military during the election campaign, and the reality of such.

Fascinating, truely.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't "yell" at anybody. I just agreed with the guy who wrote the article.

Perhaps you need to check your blood pressure. [Smile]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, 'I notice you didn't place any blame on Bush Sr. for sending troops to Somalia in the first place.' Better?

So are you saying the Republicans in Congress were responsible for the military that Bush & Co. said was in lousy shape and blamed on Clinton's presidency instead of Lott & Co.? Interesting.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current war hardly constitutes a challenge to the US military. A small girl and her pet hamster would have been almost as effective fighting, er, whoever you say you're fighting this week as the biggest and most advanced military in the world.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Wasn't Somalia one of those great humanitarian causes that the Libs push so much?

Will the same folks now say going in was bad?
The same folks that wanted us in Rwanda, too?

Yeah, I'll say it. The going in was good, or atleast well-intentioned... That handling of the situation once we got there, that was bad.

It might have been nasty of Bush Sr. to leave Clinton with Somalia hanging... but hell, Billy paid us back by leaving Bush Jr. the current economy. [Wink]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Too bad the Republicans in Congress fucked up the really nice one we had going on for awhile there. Shucks.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you figure?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Despite these problems, which put a drag on military readiness,

Perhaps you'd like to finish out that quote Fo2, just to be accurate and all.

quote:
...the condition of equipment, training standards met by pilots and troops, aptitude scores and experience levels of personnel—compared relatively favorably with those in the Reagan years.

Just to be accurate and all.

quote:
But it is still Bill Clinton's military that has actually been winning this war. The Bush administration had barely started to make its mark on defense policy before hostilities in Afghanistan began.

So, Bush hasn't had time to do much of anything it would seem.

quote:
The Bush administration also announced the results of a new strategic review on Sept. 30. But such a review cannot affect military operations that begin within days of its release. Moreover, the review did not reverse any of Bill Clinton's military force cuts, despite the claims of the Bush campaign last year that those reductions had gone too far. In most respects, the review looked very much like what one might have expected a Clinton or Gore administration to produce.

And it sounds to me like he might not be changing things all that much in the first place.

Sounds to me like the Clinton administration was the administration in place when the problems for the military became small conflicts rather than a two war force structure. And it sounds to me like the Clinton administration struggled as any administration would struggle to meet the challenge of domestic problems along with a new concept of military use and power.

quote:
The performance of American forces in the Balkans in the late 1990's and in Afghanistan in 2001 has been outstanding. And the military has wielded new weapons and new concepts in these recent campaigns that it did not possess during Desert Storm: several types of guided weapons, unmanned aerial vehicles, near-real-time communications systems.

Eventually Clinton suceeded.

So, the way I read it so far, no one is willing to challenge that the military that is currently doing whatever it is its doing in Afghanistan is basicly the military left to Bush by Clinton.

Interesting.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The current war hardly constitutes a challenge to the US military. A small girl and her pet hamster would have been almost as effective fighting, er, whoever you say you're fighting this week as the biggest and most advanced military in the world.

But the Taliban don't bite and scream, or store food in thier cheeks....

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that is their Achilles, er, cheek.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
How do you figure?

Well, you bozos always like giving Republicans credit for the *good* economy when Clinton was in office, so why should they not get credit for the bad one ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kill the president...in a world without leaders, who would start all the wars?"
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

That's just silly.
Sounds like something an anarchist would say... and we all know how stable anarchies are.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps