Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Winning With the Military Clinton Left Behind (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Winning With the Military Clinton Left Behind
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aethelwer:
"Kill the president...in a world without leaders, who would start all the wars?"

"A nation without histroy is a nation without wars."

Get rid of nations. [Big Grin]

Anyways, this current conflict, like people already said, hardly challanges the US military at all. Now if NKorea and Iraq flared up simaltaniously, plus the Israel/Palestine and India/Pakastan situation get out of hand, that'd be a real challange.

Can't believe anyone would even suggest Afganistan being anything but a very realistic exercise.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question for any of you American hawks out there... why might North Korea, um, well, ever attack the US?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they worship Baal and want to eat our delicious children!

But one has to assume that David is suggesting the U.S. would be required to fight North Korea because of aggressive actions against South Korea, or Japan. (Or, the way the 21st century seems to be going, China.)

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, China's finally gotten herself into the WTO, so she's gonna play nice for the time being. She might get involved in an armed conflict between Pak/Ind, but probably not much beyond supplying arms.

As for NK, she's in no condition for war. I was just using her as an example of where the US has made commitements they would have to back up with *real* military strength if call upon. The US would almost certainly get involved in a NK invasion of the south, although maybe not to the same extent now as 20 years ago. SK has one of the best in Asia, thanks to the US and constant threat from the north.

Iraq still retains sizable ground force from the Gulf War, but her air defenses are more or less still in tatters. I don't thik Saddam would risk attack any of its neighbours at this point. In the event she does, however, the US would have to shift considerable resources to that theater.

Funny thing is, and I hate to admit it, the days of big military might be over. The US isn't likely to get involved in pitched mechanized battle with anyone other than the Iraqis.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, David, I meant that, in the increasingly odd political climate of today, in which nations like the U.S. and Iran can share a common enemy, it would not be completely impossible for the U.S. to someday find itself supporting China against North Korea. Just, you know, a bit of hyperbole to illustrate the twisty waters that lie ahead and all that.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

If the current femine in NK keeps up, the only thing US will be assisting China with is burying the dead.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can't believe anyone would even suggest Afganistan being anything but a very realistic exercise.

Considering the number of dead on all sides, that's a rather cynical statement.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why might North Korea, um, well, ever attack the US?

Um... because we stole their lunch money?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Um... because we stole their lunch money?

Told you that tax-cut was a bad idea. Now we're stealing lunch money from Korean children. Tsk-tsk.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps