Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hoofinmouth Award (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hoofinmouth Award
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did he leave that out? The same way millions of people contract their language on occasion.

I'll give you an example: People in southwestern pennsylvania, even some of the most literate, often contract "all that" into "alls."

My comments about it maybe not being offensive was a shot at the obvious oversensitivity of the press, as in, 'why are you even writing a story about this if no one was even offended?,' and a shot at these folks who are grasping at any straw to say something bad about Bush II. I mean, okay, you have free speech and all... but try at least to say something of substance.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listed six examples above where the "stani" is supposed to be left out. Apparently, "Pakistani" is the only one where it isn't. So his "leaving it out" actually makes sense, more so that leaving it in.

And we aren't called "Ameris" because we live in "America", not "Ameristan".

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So his "leaving it out" actually makes sense, more so that leaving it in.
Right. So Bush should be allowed to call the inhabitants of Iceland "Iceish," since the inhabitants of Ireland are Irish, Scotland Scottish, and Finland Finnish. And how about those Iranis, tucked in that part of the world near the Saudis and Iraqis and, um, Pakis. Indeed, aren't the Turkis over there, too?

There is absolutely no regular system for matching the placenames to the name used by inhabitants. "Making sense" doesn't factor into it.

In the circles of international diplomacy, you simply are expected to know things like that, indeed, sillier things, too. If you don't know, you're supposed to have teams of advisors handing you a dossier on Air Force One to make sure you know the name of Musharaf's wife(s), the GDP and principal exports of Pakistan, and the small matter of the correct way to refer to its inhabitants.

I don't buy the "he shortened it" excuse. I can't say I've ever "spoken off the cuff" and unintentionally shortened "Japanese" to "Jap." He simply exercised his patented Dubyaist wit and blundered ignorantly into another situation, presumably ignoring his advisors. Oops.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My comments about it maybe not being offensive was a shot at the obvious oversensitivity of the press
This wasn't reported, as far as I can tell, by CNN, or The Washington Post or The New York Times. It was one internet paper that published it -- and for that you blame all of them? So, if one guy in Pennsylvannia commits a crime, we can say "All those people in PA are criminals!"?

But, you're right. There's no reason to bring any more attention to the fact that George W. Bush is known for not being the sharpest bagel cutter in the world (especially when many Republicans seem to think a certain ex-President had his dog whacked).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many? I haven't heard ONE yet. Not even a joking one.

The only one I've heard suggest it is YOU.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not doing much surfing, are you?

There's this lady.

Or you could try doing a search in the message boards here.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

You're making less sense as you get more desperate.

That lady's article implied only that Buddy was irrelevant to the Clintons, and thus no great loss once he'd served his political purpose.

Given politicians' of all stripes attempts to curry favor by appearing to be a 'perfect' family, this is not suprising.

She never suggests that anybody 'whacked the dog.'

As for the posters at that other place... half of them are cranks hey, we have cranks on here, too sometimes.

And the other half are people just like you, spreading the rumor that some people actually DO believe that.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You could use a sense of humor, Rob.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that no one could possibly take what you said to be a joke...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I'm well-known for my sense of humor.

You, unfortunately, are currently about as funny as an overturned school bus on fire.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So you believed me when I said Republicans thought Bill Clinton had Buddy whacked? Well, hey, if it's got Omega's endorsement that's gotta be good enough for Rob ... [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

No, I take that back. I can think of an instance in which I might even find that school bus funny.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sure, like when Rush Limbaugh or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell is in it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Test for oh-so-brilliant, "I know more than the US President" types:'

Complete bollocks. Sorry. But knowing words for people from individual US states is hardly the same as knowing an insensitive word for an entire country (and several others), especially since the entire English-speaking world (apart from, apparently, the US) seems to know it.

The scale is completely different, and the questions unresonable. I'd expect other English-speaking countries to know, for instance, that Britain uses pounsd for it's currency. I wouldn't expect them to know how much a shilling is now worth. Or, to use a more related example, it's the difference between knowing that Liverpool is a city in the UK, and knowing what scousers are. No-one expects other countries to know that. But, if someone had gone to Newcastle to try and foster good relations, it would make a lot of sense if they learnt what "Geordie's" were beforehand.

And in any case, none of us are President of the USA, and none of us are trying to maintain good diplomatic relations with Utah. There is no need for us to know that. There is every need for Bush not to insult the country he's trying to be friendly with.

'And the Brits call the Argentine "Argies." Of course, that's cause they hate them.'

We do? And, er, we do? That was almost 20 years ago anyway. We are actually capable of not holding onto a grudge, you know. Or have you confused us for O'Brien? I know he was Irish, and therefore almost British (*cough*), but there's still a slight difference. Reality mainly.

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I got the "Argies" part out of a year-old dictionary of names people from different places are called, and by whom.

Incidentally, the answers to 1-4 are

1 Utahn

2 Yes

3 Djibouti

4 Duluthian

The other ones were answered correctly.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps