Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Tom Tomorrow strikes again (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tom Tomorrow strikes again
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which nicely defuses any hint of impropriety. Bush has done nothing lately for Enron, so what's the beef?
Obviously, the question is what Bush has done for Enron in the past. Duh. At least he didn't give these guys a government buyout, at any rate.

quote:

Contacts between Enron, Bush Cabinet detailed

By Jim Drinkard, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Top Bush administration officials were in contact with executives of the failing Enron Corp. at least 14 times last year, more than the administration first reported. But a senior Senate Democrat said Sunday that investigations should focus largely on the energy giant's deception of its employees and shareholders, which led thousands to lose their investments and retirement security. Enron and its auditor, Arthur Andersen, covered up the company's ills so top executives could profit at the expense of workers and stockholders, Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., said. "They were selling glass as real diamonds, and that is false," he said on ABC's This Week. "I think we've got to tighten the laws."

Another question, why did the Adminstration under report the number of contacts ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody forgot he played golf with Joe Schmoe twice, probably.

Maybe the first report was a guess, and then somebody went through their phone records?

Hell, do I know how many times my gf, mom, and dad called me since last month? I'd probably estimate low, too.

Nice straw, but it's slipped from your grasp.

What has Bush done for Enron? No. That's not, and shouldn't be the question.

The question should be: What has Bush done for Enron that is beyond what any OTHER politician, Republican OR Democrat, would have normally done for a major contributor and is beyond what the conservative platform already is (deregulation, etc.)?

As for the answer, I'll bank on 'little or nothing.'

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which is why he tries to make an energy policy that actually works by learning about the energy business. Those 300 million NEED a workable energy policy.
Sure the United States NEEDS a workable energy solution. What the people don't NEED someone to come into the office with oil all over his boots and then pronouce that, hey, oil solves all our problems.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And isn't it odd that a guy with 'oil all over his boots' is supporting the development of technology to REPLACE the gasoline engine?

Or have you forgotten thread "Fuel Cells!"

That, sir, is a gap in your argument that you could drive a friggin' Mack truck through.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the wide-spread support fuel-cells have had from liberal democrats during even Clinton's term (Senator Tom Harkin, for one), it's fairly obvious this is nothing more then pandering to the Democratic base that Bush knows he has to suck up to in order to have any hope of re-election.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon me, Snay, but that is a ridiculous argument.

Ever heard of a "Benefit of a Doubt"?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applaud Mr. Bush and his decision to look into feul cells, but that hardly makes a, or makes a dent in, present energy policy.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps