Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Meanie Republicans at it again

Author Topic: Meanie Republicans at it again
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration, seeking to reverse part of the 1996 welfare overhaul, on Wednesday proposed to restore food stamp benefits to 363,000 legal immigrants who have lived in the country for at least five years.

Under current rules, adult immigrants must have worked in the country for at least 10 years or be a refugee or member of the military to qualify for benefits. There is no work requirement in the White House proposal, which will be part of President Bush's 2003 budget.

A senior administration official who described the proposal on condition of anonymity said the change would go a long way toward meeting the needs of a number of children and adults.

The Senate is considering revisions in farm and nutrition programs that would lower the existing work requirement for immigrants from 10 years to four years.

Congressional Republicans have argued that a work or residency requirement is necessary to keep people from moving to the United States to take advantage of the welfare system.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite the good intentions, I think this is more evidence that the Republican party (much like the Democratic party) doesn't have any specific ideals or political/social/economic values, and just does whatever.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Republicans demand a work requirement to be eligible for welfare and food stamp benefits.

Bush says no.

I actually agree that some form of work requirement is necessary, that is, provided that the applicant has secured some employment at some point in time. 10 years *is* overkill, but *none* is even worse. At least 2 years would be sufficient. And make the benefits last for at least 3 years, just to have them getting back to work.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or does it seem like Rob is on overdrive to take attention from the 'Paki' thing?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just trying to maintain balance, to dampen the propaganda wave.

Yes, I understand the anxiety. One abbreviated word and the potential for a whiff of racism and the hint of manufactured scandal is FAR more important than environmental and social policy issues. But there you have it.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Senate is considering revisions in farm and nutrition programs that would lower the existing work requirement for immigrants from 10 years to four years.
Oh, you mean the Democratic senate? Stupid Dubya -- always trying to take credit for the actions of those evil liberals. Tsk tsk.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.