Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Fuel Cells! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fuel Cells!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration is abandoning an eight-year, $1.5 billion program to produce highly fuel efficient cars in favor of a government-industry push to develop vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells.

The Energy Department said Secretary Spencer Abraham planned to announce details of the new program, dubbed ``Freedom Car,'' at a major auto show in Detroit on Wednesday.

The Energy Department and senior White House policy officials in the Bush administration have all along been cool toward the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles, a program championed by the Clinton administration as the answer to improved automobile fuel economy.

Begun in 1993, the joint venture between the federal government and the Big Three domestic automakers was seen as a way to put family-size sedans that get 80 miles per gallon into showrooms by 2004.

Using advanced aerodynamics, new engine technologies and lighter composite materials, the companies have produced prototype vehicles getting 70 mpg, but have not come near developing a fleet of such vehicles for mass production.

Instead, the administration intends to focus on speeding up development of hydrogen fuel-cell powered vehicles, a technology that has attracted intense interest in recent years, although probably a decade away from producing large numbers of cars.

The new government-industry partnership ``will further the president's national energy policy, which calls for increased research in hydrogen technology to diversify and enhance America's energy security,'' says the Energy Department.

Abraham and executives of General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co., and DaimlerChrysler AG, were to unveil the new joint venture at the 2002 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The same companies were at the heart of the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles, a program that then-Vice President Al Gore hailed as the breakthrough that would quadruple fuel economy in motor vehicle fleets.

But the Bush administration a year ago signaled it was planning to go another direction. It proposed slashing funding for the Clinton-era program that received nearly $1.5 billion in federal subsidies over eight years.

The new federal push for development of fuel cells, first reported this week by two Detroit newspapers, the Free Press and the News, is expected to spur industry efforts into developing motor vehicle engine and power systems that eventually will replace the internal combustion engine.

Although several automakers, including DaimlerChrysler, Ford and General Motors, have said they expect to have fuel-cell vehicles in showrooms within the next four or five years, wide availability of such cars is probably a decade or more away.

Abraham, who as a senator from Michigan supported the PNGV program, is expected to emphasize in his Detroit remarks that development of a hydrogen-based infrastructure will help reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

A fuel cell produces energy from a chemical reaction when hydrogen is combined with oxygen. It is environmentally sound since the only byproduct is water, instead of toxic fumes and carbon dioxide, the major pollutant contributing to global warming.

In recent years, the cost of fuel cells has dropped sharply. Hydrogen can be produced from natural gas aboard vehicles or pure hydrogen can be used, requiring development of a new supply infrastructure.

So.. Bush IS shelving the fuel-efficiency car program...

But in favor of one to eliminate the associated problems of oil dependence AND CO2 emissions altogether! [Razz]

Another better plan.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for Bushy.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine by me.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see one problem w/ this... They were working on one project. Then, after eight years, they decide "screw it, let's do this other, better thing". Whose to say that, in another eight years, they won't scrap the hydrogen fuel-cell project for something else? And, eight years after that, something else again? Decades from now, we'll still be driving the same cars, because they never finished any of the projects.

Now, I'm not saying this is necessarily true. The article doens't really give enough information. Maybe they have good reason to believe that the old project is going nowhere, and the new one will be finished long before the old one could have been. But it still seems a little questionable...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty much the way the government has always worked, from the days of Washington.

Each new administration scraps some policies of the preceeding one in favor of its own.

This policy just happens to be better, IMHO.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been following the fuel-cell technology thing for a while now, great stuff coming from Ballard tech. I would think this is the better way to go than just trying to make gasoline power go farther. Especially when we could have more and better uses for the oil than just burning it in our cars.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, would Bush have done this if he wasn't trying to garner Democratic votes for the next election? Surely, he isn't stupid enough to think that there isn't a lot of resentment about his being in office (or that he'll be able to take advantage of 9/11 any better then his Dad and Desert Storm).

So ... would he have done this if he'd won the election with a mandate?

And, who is going to run as VP with him in '04?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he solidified his approval rating by having the IRS mail a bribe to most of the voters. I got my $300 in September.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that was his intent, he should've mailed them so they arrived a couple of months before the next election [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's still time for that ...

besides, i really hope that my fellow Americans wont really be fooled by a $300 bribe.. i sure wasnt.. but i do have a nifty new set of lightsabers and boots to wear the the concerts next year

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Hey. Pay my rent for two months, and I might vote for YOU, too.

Who are the Democrats planning to run next time?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like Gore is still on the ticket.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

*laughs hysterically*

Imitates Jack Nicholson from "A Few Good Men"

"Please tell me you're not basing all your hopes on a block of wood with the charisma of an anteater. Please tell me you've found someone with an ounce of personality."

--------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Actually, before Bush took office, I had that same opinion on him. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan Keyes. Commence laughter.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps