Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Crime Increases in England (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Crime Increases in England
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am lifting my self-imposted ban on posting in the flameboard to bring you this.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42579,00.html

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet countries with stricter gun control have less crime then countries with little or no gun control.

Gee, imagine that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at all true.

Switzerland has a higher rate of handgun homicide than other countries, such as Australia, Canada and Britain. Yet Switzerland, with a murder rate of 1.1 per 100,000 has a much lower murder rate than Australia (2.7) *300 and Canada (2.5), and a somewhat lower murder rate than Great Britain (1.1 for England and Wales, 1.7 for Scotland). The data suggest that there is not necessarily a relationship between the handgun homicide rate and the overall homicide rate.

American data also fails to provide support for a strict relationship between handgun density and total homicide. Population groups which are highest in handgun ownership rates-namely wealthier people, Protestants, whites, and rural populations-all have lower homicide rates than other groups. In addition, the American homicide rate rose tenfold in the first three decades of the twentieth century but U.S. per capita handgun ownership remained stable. Between 1937 and 1963, handgun ownership rose by 250 percent, but the homicide rate fell by 35.7 percent. Homicide fell again in the early to mid 1980s, even as handgun ownership was surging.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...surely wealthy and therefore presumably healthy and, maybe, happy people will be less liable to kill each other regardless?

Or, to be cynical, simply less liable to be caught and punished. But I don't really believe that.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Switzerland has a higher rate of handgun homicide than other countries, such as Australia, Canada and Britain.
Switzerland also gives its citizens weapons. Although they have strict gun control, looking at the availabilty of weapons there as compared to Great Britain and other countries does show why they have a higher crime rate.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But a LOWER murder rate.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, of course, guns are never used for any purpose other than murder. For example, no-one's ever been robbed at gunpoint. Ever.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compare the crime rates/murder rates/handgun homicide rates of Toronto against Philadelphia's, then sit down and shut up.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
[QB]Switzerland has a higher rate of handgun homicide than other countries, such as Australia, Canada and Britain. Yet Switzerland, with a murder rate of 1.1 per 100,000 has . . .a somewhat lower murder rate than Great Britain (1.1 for England and Wales, 1.7 for Scotland). The data suggest that there is not necessarily a relationship between the handgun homicide rate and the overall homicide rate.[QB]

And the OVERALL murder rate for the UK would be. . ? Not much higher given comparative population densities of England & Scotland. The actual difference is infinitesimal. You're going to have us believe that a few more people killed in the UK in one particular year, than in Switzerland, is sufficient proof that widespread gun ownership is not connected to murder rates?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

From the early ninteies.

Percent of households with a handgun, 1991 (1)

United States 29%
Switzerland 14
Finland 7
Germany 7
Belgium 6
France 6
Canada 5
Norway 4
Europe 4
Australia 2
Netherlands 2
United Kingdom 1

Handgun murders (1992) (2)

Country Murders* Population Rates**
--------------------------------------------------
United States * 13,429 * 254,521,000 * 5.28
Switzerland * 97 * 6,828,023 * 1.42
Canada * 128 * 27,351,509 * 0.47
Sweden * 36 * 8,602,157 * 0.42
Australia * 13 * 17,576,354 * 0.07
United Kingdom * 33 * 57,797,514 * 0.06
Japan * 60 * 124,460,481 * 0.05

*Murders committed with handgunds
** Murder Handgun rate

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am lifting my self-imposted ban on posting in the flameboard...
I was actually thinking of doing something like that myself. Not lifting one...rather imposing one.

The vast circular motion on this board is nauseating at times.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. I've been fighting off a bad case of motion sickness for a while.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number of murders commited with a weapon of any type in Crawford county, MI in 2001, 0.

Number of murders commited with an automobile, 2.

Does this suggest that Crawford county should ban automobiles?

The story is that a woman got pissed at her passengers and rammed a building, deciding that their ribbing made her want to kill herself. The thing is they died and she lived.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Cars are built to transport people.

Guns are built to kill people.

Big difference.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statisticly speaking, not in Crawfrod county.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps