Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Crime Increases in England (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Crime Increases in England
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of COURSE it's bad.. can't even tell that the 12th to the 14th is 2 days, not 3. [Wink]

No wonder they're having problems with basic logical problems. [Razz]

If I don't answer for two days, it's probably because it's Sunday and Monday, and I'm on vacation at my apartment where there is NO computer yet.

As for your question.. I don't know for certain what the answer is. But it's clear that the ban isn't it.

Since useless laws weaken the necessary laws, the useless law should be repealed. Brits aren't that likely to devolve.

Myself, I would suggest replacing the ban with an Exile-like program, where anybody who uses a gun in the commission of a crime (and this includes having a gun on your person when committing any other crime, even if it isn't used) gets a mandatory 5 years added on to any sentence.

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my thinking was more along the lines of it was the third day since I'd posted it. Keeping track of time gets tricky when the time-of-posting mark is 8 time zones out.

But, whatever, we're not here to criticise each other's grammar, that's Tim's job. We're not here to shoot each other's arguments down because of grammar, that's Omega's job. Between them we've ended up with a lot of posters who don't bother to use grammar at all. 8)

Has this Exile program ever been tried anywhere, and shown statistical results?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I don't have exact statistics right now.. .but I'll try and get some.

An excerpt from a brief statement from the Virginia Attorney General's office:
quote:
Project Exile has been an effective tool for fighting gun-related crimes in Richmond. The capital city’s homicide-by-firearm rate for 1998 was more than 36% lower than that for 1997. So far this year, the rate has declined even further. More than 450 armed criminals have been removed from Richmond’s streets, and other would-be criminals have shown a great reluctance to carry weapons for fear of being subjected to harsher mandatory federal sentences.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michigan does it also..... Maybe that's why they are using baseball bats and cars as the weapons of choice here.... I remember reading that Flint wasn't the Murder Capitol of the World anymore, a title it held for quite sometime.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Moore never mentioned that in Roger and Me. . .

I've always been ambiguous about guns. The thing I like about this country is, it's never been a gun-owning country really. Probably because we wiped out all the dangerous predators hundreds of years ago. And with a handgun ban, that means that ordinary people generally don't have an excuse to own them. This leaves them firmly in the hands of the criminal element, who don't care that they're illegal. Since, for the most part, they've always just been killing each other, no problem. But if they're starting to be used against unarmed members of the public, then something needs to be done.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps