Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Russian TV Station Shut Down

Author Topic: Russian TV Station Shut Down
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the work of a democratic nation? No. Stupid Russians. They need to realize they're still in the 12th century & go back to feudalism to work their way out of it like the rest of us did.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what happens when you take a primitive culture and GIVE it advanced technology before the aborigines can socially evolve to cope with the changes.

I guess the Prime Directive was right...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not stupid we, it's our stupid laws.

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh... Democracy, Putin style.. Don't give a damn about your people (*cough*Kursk*cough*). IIRC, in all those years governing Russia, the people had exactly ONE possibility of asking him questions :S. Thankfully he and Bush get along quite normally (but don't feed him pretzels [Wink] ).

Anywayz, it would be cool if mr. Nevod himself gave some inside views on all this [Smile] .

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well well, aren't we all considering ourselves superior.

Alas, poor Gorbatsjov, we hardly knew ye...

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I admit that Russia is taking a step backwards with this issue. But you have to remember, they have been living under communism since 1917, and they only just recently became a democratic nation. Not only that but they were living under one of the last monarchies in the world. It wasn't until after Czar Nicholas II bit the bullet that the average russian serf could have some rights. and it wasn't until Stalin (not his real name) came to power until Russia started to become an industrialized nation (one of the last in Europe to do so). The Iron Curtan was even worse, no one was allowed to enter or leave the Soviet Union.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice excuse, but they've got every permutation of democracy existing in the world to study and model their new society on - from US 'Republic' to Canadian 'Dominion' to British 'Monarchy'.

I know they're Russians, but given a head start by studying other democratic cultures, you'd think they could backwards-engineer a governmental system.

Hint to Russians: If you want democracy - get rid of autocracy - and totalitarianism. I know it's genetic - but TRY.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Nicholas II bit the bullet..."

He bit it? I was under the impression he was shot w/ it...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, to Nixpick history, I believe Lenin emancipated the serfs a few months before Nicholas and the bullet did their thing.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps