Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I need story ideas, and opinions on one I already have (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I need story ideas, and opinions on one I already have
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most governments today follow this form.
Omega, don't go outside today. The sky might crush you.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
And of course, there couldn't possibly be a moral standard - or form of justice - without christianity.

Christianity? Did I mention Christianity in my script? Must have missed that... [Wink]

Slippery, but not slippery enough.

Here's that quote again:

quote:
"To illustrate the necessity of God in the moral functioning of a country; to illustrate that any country anywhere is susceptible to the false premise that true law and morality flows from government mandate, instead of from God, a premise which has caused untold destruction throughout history."
Now, allow me to rephrase:

quote:
"To illustrate the unnecessity of God in the moral functioning of a country; to illustrate that any country anywhere is susceptible to the false premise that true law and morality flows from God, instead of from government mandate, a premise which has caused untold destruction throughout history."
And whaddaya know, this fits too!

Typical example of religious indoctrination: telling only one side of the story and presenting it as the whole truth. Your "play" only serves to illustrate this further.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Show me one example where someone actually following Christianity (or, for that matter, Islam) has lead to anywhere near the destruction fascist regimes like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Zamin, Mussolini, and practically every other dictator in history have caused.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would now be a bad time to mention that Clinton is a Christian?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that commie bastard FDR, and Truman. And Kennedy. Oh, yeah, and Ashcroft, too.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget it. Omega never admits that the Christians who do evil are 'real' Christians. They're all PseudoChristians, like from the Mirror Universe or something.

Of course, the Christians who fail to fight the evil Pseudochristians are almost as bad. If someone's doing vile evil, and loudly proclaiming it to be done in the name of your God, you should be mad enough to go out and stop them. For good.

Apparently, 'real' Christians spontaneously sprang into being some 20 years or so ago, because before then, there was no organized resistance to people doing evil in God's name. (There still isn't much of one, or there would be a LOT fewer televangelists.) Just holding hands in a circle isn't enough.

Oh, and one more thing. 'true law and morality' flow NEITHER from a government mandate NOR from a 'big brother'esque Sky God. They flow from internal agreements made between the individual and society, for the individual's and society's mutual self-interest.

In other words, humans cannot form communities without order and accepted norms of social behavior. Groups of humans wishing to form a community meet and agree on what will be accepted social norms. This becomes 'morality.' When the norms are written down, they become 'laws.' Different groups will, depending upon any number of factors, have different social norms, which is why some societies practice such things as cannibalism, multiple marriage, matriarchy, etc, and see nothing 'odd' about it.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, I neglected to say in my post about the other side of writing dialogue. While you have to imitate real speech, you also have to streamline it. Dialogue is not real speech, it is edited speech. Disguised as real speech you could say. In any kind of dramatic writing, every action, every word, and indeed every pause needs to move the story forward. Because, no matter how long you have, it's not enough to capture everything as if it were real life, be it ten minutes or ten movies. That is of course, open to argument, but I'm only making a point. But everything you put to paper should move the story forward. Simple story, direct dialogue, powerful message, you could do something quite effective in ten minutes.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh!

Omega: "I have written an intensely polemical play about the benefits of Right Christian Thinking. What do you think about it as a play?"

Everyone: "This play is intensely polemical!"

Omega: "Uh, yes, that's what I said."

Everyone: "This play only talks about the benefits of Right Christian Thinking!"

Omega: "That was kind of my point..."

Everyone: "Well, how dare you write an intensely polemical play about Right Christian Thinking!"

This is like complaining that things fall down instead of up. What do you think a play written by Omega and intended for people who think just like him is going to be? Corpus Christi? There are enough chips on shoulders in this thread to shut down Frito Lay's factories for a month.

We have a division of roles here at Flare. Sets of more or less self contained discussions, divided into rough categories. For some of us, perhaps most of us, these categories don't mean a great deal. We can look at Flare holistically. But there are lots of people who don't.

In other words, to the Flameboard you go.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Simon has just significantly raised the bar for "this is why I'm going to lock/move/mutilate this thread" posts.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps